Hi!! Ms. Jasztal's Impending Question... :D

Discussion in 'Fourth Grade' started by Ms.Jasztal, Jul 24, 2007.

1. Ms.Jasztal

Ms.Jasztal Maven

Jul 24, 2007

Fourth grade is INCREDIBLE. And if you've come in here, you know that!! :hugs:

What do you like most about teaching fourth grade?

3. Amanda

Amanda Administrator Staff Member

Jul 24, 2007

(Thanks for jumping into the new subforum! You're fast!! :clap: )

4. Teacher Chele

Teacher Chele Habitué

Jul 24, 2007

I like the age of the kids. They're old enough to do some really creative projects, but young enough that they still want to learn and want to please their teacher. You get to help them bridge into upper elementary.

5. Beth2004

Beth2004 Maven

Jul 24, 2007

I won't be teaching 4th this year, but have in the past and it's my absolute favorite grade to teach! I love how independent and mature they are becoming at that age while at the same time (at least in my experience) they aren't quite ready for middle school and aren't all that hormonal yet.

6. Trice2006

Trice2006 Rookie

Jul 24, 2007

This will be my second year teaching 4th grade and I love it. I was a lil nervous at first...but those days are over. I like the fact that they old enough to do things on their own...but at the same time they're like a sponge ready to soak up anything that you teach....And they think everything you do is kool. And I love the curriculum I teach also...especially social studies.

7. Steph-ernie

Steph-ernie Groupie

Jul 24, 2007

I love the kids in 4th grade! They are fun to be with, they say and do so many funny things. I also really like the curriculum. State history is great. The only part of the curriculum I don't like is science. (Boo for science!) :dunno:

8. agdamity

agdamity Fanatic

Jul 24, 2007

I like watching them mature as the year goes on--they come in still quite babyish from 3rd, but are almost young adults by the end of the year!

9. WindyCityGal606

WindyCityGal606 Enthusiast

Jul 24, 2007

I've taught about everything elementary and junior high but 4th is my favorite for sure!! They are still eager to please and care if you tell them you will call their parents! They are able to do some creatinve projects yet still love to learn and aren't cynical yet. I have been setting up my room this week and it's so FUN to plan for little ones again!! I haven't had 4th in 3 years!! I can't wait till Sept!!!

10. SouthernTeach

SouthernTeach Companion

Jul 24, 2007

They are the perfect age! Not babies and not middle school wannabees. I also love that I can joke around with them and they get my humor! No blank looks, like "what is she talking about?"

11. collteach

collteach Comrade

Jul 24, 2007

I love their independence. They are already developing a good sense of humor. Most are not yet old enough to hate school. I am entering my 4th year of teaching 4th grade after 2 years teaching 7th grade....and I hope I never have to leave 4th :)

12. Gopher4

Gopher4 Comrade

Jul 24, 2007

I am so glad we finally have grade level sections on the forum. Yeah! I will be starting my 4 year in 4th Grade and I love if for all the same reasons you guys do. After teaching 1st grade for 9 years, I love kids who can tie their own shoes, read their own books and get my jokes. They are just the right about of mature and innocent.

13. mclaugcr

mclaugcr Companion

Jul 24, 2007

I love the kids, just like everyone else said. I have taught students in all grades K-5 (I was a small group instructor), and 4th has been my favorite from the beginning. I'm so excited to finally have a 4th grade class of my own!!

14. Ms.Jasztal

Ms.Jasztal Maven

Jul 25, 2007

Thanks, Amanda! I was thinking, "Huh?" when I found the subforum. :)

Now, now... fourth grade... I LOVE the fact that they can incorporate their knowledge of something into stories. They do a tremendous job of incorporating things like World War II. Besides that, I love the fact they can grasp science and social studies concepts... and that they like different contests.

Some kids are very selective in who their friends are, but generally they are most accepting of their classmates.

It's also fun to go a little in-depth with them when covering something specific. :)

15. mrs_u

mrs_u Rookie

Jul 25, 2007

2-4-6-8
    know what grade is really great?
    4th grade, 4th grade!
    yay, 4th grade!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

16. Ms.Jasztal

Ms.Jasztal Maven

Jul 25, 2007

Wooooooo-hooooooooooooooo!!!! :D

Oh, and I also love the types of projects I have them do in class, like role playing during the Titanic story.

17. nasimi77

nasimi77 Groupie

Jul 25, 2007

Besides what everyone else has said about the terrific independence level of 4th graders, I also love the curriculum. California history is so wonderful to teach, and I can't wait to teach it even better than I did last year! :)

18. WindyCityGal606

Jul 25, 2007

So is every fourth grade SS basically teaching them their state's history? I don't know why I think this but isn't the Civil War also taught in 4th? HELP!!

19. nasimi77

nasimi77 Groupie

Jul 25, 2007

Zoe: From my understanding, based on National standards, 4th graders study their own state's history...and yes...also U.S. History. However, most schools run on their own State standards, not national. (again, basing this on my experiences here in Cali, so if others have diff experiences, don't mean to confuzzle the issue!) The 5th grade teacher at my school sort of begins" where I left off" and continues with teaching students about U.S. History and goes more into detail about the Civil War. We do discuss it in our class, but we don't go into as much detail. Check your local State Department of Ed web site or State Standards web site for 4th grade. Didn't mean to confuse you.:unsure:

20. nasimi77

nasimi77 Groupie

Jul 25, 2007

Zoe:

Ok, I checked this out, for Illinois, click here

For California, click here[/FONT]

It would appear our state does spend a lot of attention on just the state of Cali. :cool:

21. WindyCityGal606

Jul 26, 2007

Thank you! Our SS text for fourth focuses on the States and the Regions. I will throw in a unit on Illinois just to be safe. One of the regions is the midwest but there isn't a focus on our state. :thanks: :hugs:

22. nasimi77

nasimi77 Groupie

Jul 26, 2007

YW Zoe. :)

23. Teacher Chele

Teacher Chele Habitué

Jul 26, 2007

I'm in TN and we teach about 6 weeks of TN History, and the rest of the time is SS from Beringia (sp?)through the surrender in the Civil War. Personally, I would LOVE to spend more time on TN History. That's one bad part about fourth (at least in TN)-there's too much that our state expects us to teach. We have to rush through everything. And they wonder why TN's 4th grade achievement test scores run low...Hmmmm.