Hi Im thinking about becoming a teacher

Discussion in 'General Education' started by Miya, Jun 28, 2011.

1. Miya

Miya New Member

Jun 28, 2011

Any words of wisdom ?

please :blush:

I've never been interested in becoming a teacher.. when I was younger I used to say "i'd never be a teacher" bc i understand that it is not an easy job.. & I HATE waking up early.. but now it just seems like a great career for me.. I love learning, being social & i really would like to make an impact in someones life. I realized that eventually i'm going to have to start waking up early anyway :lol:

(i'm 18 YO by the way)

3. jwteacher

jwteacher Cohort

Jun 28, 2011

I wasn't sure it was the path for me until I started subbing, so if you have any doubts, see if you truly enjoy being in the classroom first before you commit all of that time and money.

Since you're 18, you can look for jobs as a pre-school para or before/after school facilitator. It will give you first-hand experience and a taste of what lesson planning is like.

Good luck on your endeavor.

4. yellowdaisies

yellowdaisies Fanatic

Jun 28, 2011

Hi Miya. :)
    I used to always say I never wanted to be a teacher, too - because my mom is a teacher and I saw how much work it was! I obviously changed my mind, though. :) I'm not a teacher yet, but I'm finishing my credential program in December.

I agree with the PP - my advice to you is to get in a classroom or some other job working with kids. During college, I worked in after-school programs during the year and in day camps during the summer. That experience working with kids is what solidified my decision to be a teacher. Now I cannot imagine doing anything else! Look into after-school programs, preschool, and even aide jobs, if those exist in your area - my area really only has Special Ed aide jobs. But maybe you'd want to teach Special Ed. Depending on your area, some jobs may require you to have a certain number of college credits. One of the after-school programs I worked for requires 48 units. Some just require an instructional aide test and a H.S. diploma. Good luck! :)

5. Sarge

Sarge Enthusiast

Jun 28, 2011

Haven't you been waking up early for the last 12 years already? Or is there something about my students' level of consciousness when they are in my room that I don't know about?

6. Miya

Miya New Member

Jun 29, 2011

thanks for the advice..i am looking into everything you all suggested!

& to answer sarge..yes i have been waking up early for 13 years..but for majority of that time i dreaded waking up early bc im not a morning person ...i realize now that I can't dismiss a career just because i am not a morning person. I plan to have children & more responsibilities when I get older so I will have to wake up early anyway if i want a productive life.. sometimes i like waking up early ..other times i just want to sleep lol.

im doing A LOT of research so i will be asking many questions lol.

i just love history a lot..i understand that it may not be in demand..i would even enjoy teaching science..not math (i'm not great at math)...although i've heard many bad things from some teachers..i am really excited.

7. teacherintexas

teacherintexas Maven

Jun 29, 2011

It sounds like you are leaning towards secondary. To make my mom happy, I got certified for high school, but I have no desire to ever teach it.

Some others may disagree, but I think if you want to teach high school, you might not want to sub in hs for a few years. I've seen some very young subs get eaten alive by students only a few years younger.

8. pete2770

pete2770 Comrade

Jun 29, 2011

Do what you love.

9. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Jun 29, 2011

Hi, Miya, and welcome!

You're right, of course, on the getting up thing. My husband is most certainly NOT a morning person, (he's barely an "afternoon person") but that's not a great basis for making a decision on how you'll spend the rest of your working life.

I've been teaching since 1980, and it's the only career I can imagine loving this much. It most certainly is what I was meant to do.

As far as practical considerations go: you're right about the job market. Science, (well, at least Chem and Physics) teachers tend to have a MUCH MUCH MUCH easier time finding a job than history teachers. So if you could see yourself going in either direction, that science concentration might make a huge difference in terms of findign a job. (Not Bio though. Every wannabe doctor in the world who, for whatever reason, changed his or her mind turned to teaching. Bio teachers are incredibly easy to find.)

As to all those who are saying those "bad things"-- listen to them with a grain of salt. Sure, there are things about teaching that could stand to change, particularly in this economy. But you'll find people willing to find the negative in every aspect of life.

If teaching is something you want to do, then find a way to make it happen.

Again, welcome!

10. chebrutta

chebrutta Enthusiast

Jun 29, 2011

Welcome!

I fell into teaching on accident and love it. Everyone told me I should be a teacher and I just kept saying NO :lol:

Why not look for summer camp counselor positions, as well? It may help you determine the age group you want to work with.

As for college - a lot of things can change from 18 to 22. You might love history, but those jobs are hard to find. Try to make your electives well-rounded the first couple of semesters so that you can choose a minor that will get you certified in another subject that you also like.

As for the negatives... that's why I kept saying NO in the first place. But honestly, there are negatives in any job you'll have. The good in teaching far outweighs the bad.

11. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Maven

Jun 29, 2011

I'm NOT a morning person at all. I never have been. I spent the first part of my life on 2nd and 3rd shift because that's what dad worked, so Mom and I took his schedule. As a child, when given the opportunity to set my own hour, I'd stay up until 3-4 in the morning and sleep until I woke up . . . usually until 11:00 or so.

I'm now 40 years old, and I've gotten up at 6:00 in the morning for a good 25 years or more, and no later than 7:00 since the the time I started into first grade in 1976. I function very well getting up at that time, but I still stay up late and sleep in when I'm not working.

I didn't decide to be a teacher until I was a junior in college. I was working on a social work degree, and part of my field work required me to work in a school. I worked in an adult education class and a class for teen mothers. I enjoyed that a lot more than what I'd been doing, so I changed majors to secondary English teaching. I did add one year to my time in college, but that wasn't too bad.

Spend some time in schools and see what you think.

12. applecore

applecore Devotee

Jun 29, 2011

Seek out the tests online that you can take to match the career with your personality. There's a few out there for free that I've googled, but can't remember them. I've taken 3 in the past 10 years (all times when I felt like I could NOT go any further in college because of what ever reason...mostly stress) and every time it told me something social....like teaching.

And then ask yourself, "What job can I make the most difference in some body's life or needs a voice, an advocate?" That's what drove me through the tough times of making sure I was on the right path.

Best wishes!

The body shows up but the mind doesn't begin to work until after lunch time...maybe. (But I teach 3rd grade...so maybe life's different..LOL)

13. Aussiegirl

Aussiegirl Habitué

Jun 29, 2011

8th graders don't wake up till about 11 - after PE.

As for the OP, I ditto the well rounded college experience. I didn't decide to be a teacher until I was 50. Luckily, I had so many history and English credits I only had to do the basic accreditation classes and pass the Praxis in Hist. and Eng. It was the time I spent subbing and helping in an after-school tutoring program that helped me decide I wanted to teach AND that I wanted to work with middle-schoolers. I have been handed referrals to several psychiatrists because of the second part of the decision!:lol:

Oh, and I'm definitely not a morning person, but I am the type that hits the floor running - no time needed at the coffee pot. This career is perfect for me, and hopefully for you too. It is much easier to get up early when you have something waiting that you love to do.

14. Miya

Miya New Member

Jun 30, 2011

Thanks for all of the advice everyone! i am going to think about everything you all said.

I am stuck on what I want to teach.. I can only see myself teaching social science or consumer science type stuff.. i cant imagine teaching math or chemistry,bio etc.. When I was in school I dreaded going to Math & science.. I was in honors so it was even worse. I think I would be miserable ... should I pursue teaching social science subjects like history, psych,sociology & consumer science subjects.... or is it really that bad? I dont want to do anything that will make me miserable..like teaching science & math :(

15. Miya

Miya New Member

Jun 30, 2011

& someone mentioned subbing high school students--- you are right... if i walked in a high school class in say 1 or 2 years.. They would be like :confused: lolll.

I just graduated.. They will think I am in their class lol. I want to get experience with younger kids ..just to see if i like it.

16. Mark94544

Mark94544 Companion

Jun 30, 2011

17. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Jun 30, 2011

Dabble.

That's what those "core" requirements in college are all about. Try a bit of this and a bit of that, and see what grabs you.

To be honest, right now the job market is tough for the subjects you've named. It's tough for everything at the moment, but you aren't looking at the moment; maybe things will improve in the next 4 years. (And, even in a tight market, my school hired 3 history teachers this summer.)

So keep the job market in mind, but be guided by what inspires you. You'll be working a long long time; find something you'll love.

18. pete2770

pete2770 Comrade

Jun 30, 2011

I'm sure there are some places that would throw you in as a sub at your age, only because everything happens, but I think it's really rare that you'd see someone sub 20 in a classroom. Not enough spread in age, 21 is still iffy -- I would venture to guess a 22 or 23 year old is about the youngest person you'd typically see in a classroom working alone. There are always exceptions though. A para or other support job, you could definitely do at your age.

My post before was brief, but I was honest, go for what you love. Passion > job prospects, and if you turn finding a job into your job after school and apply everywhere -- you will work on that subject. On that note, I would never suggest someone that's going into a subject with job prospects that are bleak to go to college anywhere other than a state school. Do you really want to be looking for a job teaching philosophy with 80g or more in debt and a job that if you land it won't have that debt paid off until you're in your 50s or 60s after extensions? 20g on the other hand from a state school is manageable.

By state school, I mean an affordable school with a large portion of funds coming from the state's tax base. In Minnesota for instance it would be the MNSCU system (Mankato, Bemidji, etc) not the U of M.

19. old_School

old_School Rookie

Jun 30, 2011

Miya your best bet is to Sub for about a year or two at lest. If your good at subbing, you will be called everyday. When I subbed I topped out at 70 bucks a day. Starting pay was 50. Its not alot but enough to pay the bills and survive.

20. yellowdaisies

yellowdaisies Fanatic

Jun 30, 2011

Check into requirements though - in my state you need a Bachelors degree to sub.

21. SwOcean Gal

SwOcean Gal Devotee

Jun 30, 2011

I understand the issue and the concern of the economy and all, but I say go with your heart- I cannot imagine teaching without that passion and love for it. I really do think it is a work of the heart...Best wishes!

22. callmebob

callmebob Enthusiast

Jun 30, 2011

You are still young, you have plenty of time to figure out what you want to do. One thing you need to do before going into any profession is think about the day to day responsibilities. What is it that you want to do and are willing to do everyday. Find out truly what the expectations and responsibilities will be of the job you look into (in this case teaching). There are always things you did not expect, but the more you can find out about what you would be doing the better.