Hi I'm new and could use some help!

Discussion in 'Early Childhood Education Archives' started by Starting_Over, Jan 10, 2006.

1. Starting_Over

Starting_Over Rookie

Jan 10, 2006

Hi everyone,

I sure hope I'm posting this is the right place. I just joined today, and I can't believe I'm just now finding this wonderful resource! :) This is my situation...hopefully someone can relate and I appreciate any advice.

First of all, I'm planning on moving to Georgia very soon. Right now, I'm trying to figure out the best way to go about teaching Kindergarten. See, I majored in Secondary Education in college, back in 2000. To this day, I'm not sure why I chose Secondary, because I've always had more of a raport with younger children. Then, I went to Graduate school for Guidance Counseling, (my parents suggestion) and I didn'r realize that it wasn't for me until my final internship :( Ever since that time, I've been lost. I tried to teach middle school, and I was miserable. (Because of a lot of factors). I've always felt that I would be a much better Kindergarten or 1st grade teacher. I do have experience working with this age group. I used to be in charge of an after school care program. I loved every minute of it.

I guess my problem is, I'm not sure how to go about making this change. Having majored in Secondary Ed. I feel like I'm in this box that I can't get out of. Not only that, having a license in another state, its been really difficult for me to find any information about licensing for Kindergarten or 1st grade in Georgia. I have visited the GAPSC and GaDOE websites, but the only thing I can come up with is I would have to go back to school to receive a 4 year degree in ECE.

Does anyone know of a shorter route for Certification in Kindergarten? I'm willing to try anything. If you could point me in the direction of some resources, websites, or just give me some advice, I would be so grateful!

Thanks everyone! And I'm so happy to be here!:thanks:

3. Proud2BATeacher

Proud2BATeacher Phenom

Jan 10, 2006

Have you tried contacting the education department at UG. I live in Georgia but am from Canada so I am not too sure what you will have to do here, but I do have a parapro who has a degree in psychology and has just started a graduate program to get a teaching degree to work with children with autism and she is taking it at UG.

4. Starting_Over

Starting_Over Rookie

Jan 11, 2006

Thank you so much for that info. I will check that out today.:thanks:
    That's University of Georgia, right?

5. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Jan 11, 2006

Welcome to AtoZ, Starting Over. Check in often for inspiration and support.

6. JaimeMarie

JaimeMarie Moderator

Jan 11, 2006

Hi Start,
    Welcome to a to z. What part of GA are you thinking about moving to?

7. Proud2BATeacher

Proud2BATeacher Phenom

Jan 11, 2006

Yes, it is the University of Georgia. Good luck. Let me know if you don't get the info. you need and I will ask the teachers in my school

8. Starting_Over

Starting_Over Rookie

Jan 12, 2006

Thank you everyone for your warm welcomes!

JamieMarie, I'm thinking about moving to Atlanta, GA.

Proud2BAteacher, I did check out the UGA website, and they seem to have a lot of alternative routes to certification for Special Education, but I didn't see very much information about Early Childhood Certification. Unless I was looking in the wrong place:confused: If you wouldn't mind asking the teachers in your school, that would be GREAT! Any information would be helpful. In the meantime, I'm going to try calling and see if I can speak to someone.

Thank you so much!;)

9. JaimeMarie

JaimeMarie Moderator

Jan 12, 2006

Atlanta sure is a growing city. My brother and father both live there. Good luck!

10. stacie78

stacie78 New Member

Jan 20, 2006

Hi!
    I live in GA and am in a similar situation...

Depending on your degree and the reciprocity with your state, you may only have to take a couple of Praxis II tests to add the field of Early Childhood Edu to your degree. I'm looking into doing the same thing. The two tests are 0012 and 0016. Then the only other thing you'd need to do is get your GA degree and that may involve as little as a class or test or two, depending on what state you're coming from.

Seems so little to add the field, but the "test" rule was just put in. Scary in some ways, but it could work to our advantage in this situation!

Good luck!