HGTV's DesignStar 2009

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by McKennaL, Jul 25, 2009.

1. McKennaL

McKennaL Groupie

Jul 25, 2009

(didn't see a thread for this yet)

DARN IT! Another reality game that I am into now! Hate 'em and LOVE 'em!

3. McKennaL

McKennaL Groupie

Jul 25, 2009

DOn't know names yet so I can't name the contestants.

Thoughts on first night:

*The ten contestants vote in the 11th. Come on now. Who would you vote for? I would vote in the one with the worst chance of winning. Why vote for the one with a lot of talent so that they can out-shine you??? (Not a politically correct idea...but this IS a competition!)

*I was sick one time like that. I was on vacation in Las Vegas...and I always happened to be with the group that didn't want to stop to eat. And by the night...I was so sick. Stop! Eat. Drink. Take care of YOU. (Even if you have to eat and work at the same time.)

*When paiting ALWAYS read the directions. Painter's Tape is to be removed SOON after a job is done...not many hours or day(s) later! That happened to me once as well. Thank goodness with results...not as bad at that.

*helLO????? WHY didn't they call out that master bedroom had % TWIN BEDS! It looked like a hospital Ward from Alice in Wonderland!! Master Bedroom = One LARGE bed. Maybe a relaxing over-stuffed chaise in the corner... but one bed.

*I liked the hot pink geese...IN THAT ROOM.

*I also liked the writer from national geographics room...but the bunk beds? that's where the theme didn't match.

*What a WASTE of $50,000!!!! And to take an iconic mansion (owned by Marilyn Monroe, Lucille Ball, and Frank Sinatra...and scre it up? ICK!

*Is that where they will be staying? THAT might account for the hospital ward, the bunk beds and the three twins in the other room make sense now).... but still. If you are decorating a master bedroom...ONE BED!

*Yeah Candace Olsen!!! LOVE her tastes on Divine Design! (When those women chose to do their room in teals and browns with geometric patterns and chandeliers....that's Candace's style. So they KNOW they will have one judge who will love their work. Smart thinking!)

*Yeah to Genevive (or however you spell her name!) It's about TIME someone said it. "It took us years of working hard and clawing our ways to get our own shows. No you are going to waltz in and get yours in a few weeks...so we're WATCHING you....snarling...every step you MAKE!" (Hmmmm *cough*... I feel the same way about teachers who get their job on their first interview ever....Did I say that? :rolleyes: )

*Agreed with the choice who went home.

What did YOU think?

4. INteacher

INteacher Aficionado

Jul 25, 2009

LOVE this show :) But I am a reality game show junkie :) I am drooling waiting for Project Runway. I tried to watch The Fashion Show and it just wasn't any good at all.

I love your comments and agree with them all :)

I loved, loved the dining room and both of the guys that designed the room. I usually try to check the show again to really learn about the people but haven't caught a repeat yet.

And I was thinking the same thing . . are they living in this house?? Why the twin and bunk beds?? Makes sense if they are living there but it still looked really strange.

I love all the judges :) and can't wait til Sunday for the next show

5. tb71

tb71 Cohort

Jul 25, 2009

When is this on??

6. elizak83

elizak83 Companion

Jul 25, 2009

I agree on all of your comments.
    I'm pretty sure the bed choices were because they were living there.
    My boyfriend said about the screwed up room w/ the icky floor...."I could've even done better than that!" (and he has no decorating sense.)

tb...the show's on at 10 on Sundays

7. Tasha

Tasha Phenom

Jul 25, 2009

The twin beds are because that is where they stay for the duration of the show. That dining room was awesome, not for my house, but awesome! I liked the letters on the office wall, I might do that in our next house's office.

8. McKennaL

McKennaL Groupie

Jul 25, 2009

I agree... loved the letters... but the dining room was not to my liking.

And I have to agree with the judge's...I can't IMAGINE all the money they WASTED!!!!!

Astro-turf? For $700??? You can go to Home Depot and get astro-turf indoor outdoor floor covering for cheap!

And then they were making things with MPF (or whatever it's called).. WHAT???? were you pocketing the THOUSANDS???

9. tb71

tb71 Cohort

Jul 25, 2009

thanks!

10. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Jul 25, 2009

tb~that would be 9:00 CST.

I love, love, love this show. I missed the first few episodes. I'm so glad that they got the two women judges. I love both of their styles!

11. INteacher

INteacher Aficionado

Jul 25, 2009

It has only been on once - last Sunday night so you haven't missed much. Actually McKenna did a great job summarizing the entire show :)

12. INteacher

INteacher Aficionado

Jul 25, 2009

Agreed, the dining room was my favorite room but so not something I would want for my house. And I like the desk area also in the NG room, but the astro turf?? :confused:

13. smalltowngal

Jul 25, 2009

Yay! I'm sure they will show it again tomorrow afternoon before the new episode.

14. smalltowngal

Jul 26, 2009

The first episode is on NOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! 4pm/CST.

15. Emily Bronte

Emily Bronte Groupie

Jul 26, 2009

I love this show. This is my third season watching it and I am addicted. We'll see what happens tonight. I do like that they got in two new judges and that all of the judges have their own shows.

16. smalltowngal

Jul 26, 2009

I don't agree with who as sent home.

17. brigidy

brigidy Comrade

Jul 26, 2009

I didn't either.

18. elizak83

elizak83 Companion

Jul 26, 2009

Me neither...I don't think the rest of the contestants agreed either (by the look on their faces when she walked in at the end)

19. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Jul 26, 2009

I don't either.

20. teacherintexas

teacherintexas Maven

Jul 27, 2009

Me neither. The girl who has been in the bottom two both weeks should have been booted. I think she should have gone last week.

21. INteacher

INteacher Aficionado

Jul 27, 2009

Yeah . . . I don't agree with the judges decision at all. Esp. since every team member agreed she was the weak link in the team. Amy was a terrible leader and the kitchen really was a complete mess, I still don't think she should have been the one to go. I think everyone will be glad that next week is an individual challenge so no one will be stuck with Tanisha. I really didn't like either one of those kitchens.

22. tb71

tb71 Cohort

Jul 27, 2009

I watched for the 1st time last night and loved it.
    Are the judges the sole decisionmakers on who gets sent home??

23. Emily Bronte

Emily Bronte Groupie

Jul 27, 2009

Yes, they are, at least that is what we are to believe. Someone else mentioned that they did not like either of the kitchens. I agree. I am not too sure about the quality of this year's contestants.

24. smalltowngal

Jul 27, 2009

I didn't like the kitchens either; however, I was glad to see at least one got finished...that has always been a problem with this challenge. I love the white room challenge, can't wait until next Sunday!

25. Carmen13

Carmen13 Groupie

Jul 27, 2009

I didn't watch the end of the show...Wow, I am a bit amazed that Amy was the one going home, but I guess the judges wanted to send a message about leadership.

26. Carmen13

Carmen13 Groupie

Jul 27, 2009

I agree with you gals about the kitchens...not to my taste at all.

27. MrsTeacher2Be

MrsTeacher2Be Companion

Jul 27, 2009

IF it had been finished, the losing kitchen probably would have been my taste. I totally agree that Tanisha should have been the one to go home. She can't get anything done right! Not that I could do any better, but I'm not putting myself out there like that. I really like the judges; they don't mince words at all.