Hey Strangers! Questions about Illinois Certs

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by Harmony2, Jun 24, 2015.

1. Harmony2

Harmony2 Companion

Jun 24, 2015

Hi everyone.. I have not been here in so long, but it is the first place I thought of to answer my questions.

I recently relocated to Chicago from NJ. I have gotten so many different answers I am hoping someone can point me in the right direction.

I have a NJ K-6 Certificate with Advanced Standing, as well as my Masters In Teaching/Education.

I have heard I still need to take the TAP exam from some, and heard today that I do NOT have to take any additional tests, just have to submit the application along with my NJ credentials. I do know Illinois's grades are leveled differently, so I imagine my NJ credential would translate to the K-3?

Please let me know as soon as possible so that I can begin the necessary work to obtaining my Illinois license. :)

Thanks for any light shed.

3. ChildWhisperer

ChildWhisperer Groupie

Jun 25, 2015

Well, my original reply had the link to the ISBE website, which I don't think I'm allowed to do..??!

Anyway, since you have an out-of-state license, you can apply for the Provisional license and start applying to jobs (and start working). However, if you have any deficiencies (IL has different requirements), you need to complete them before applying for a Professional license.
    When you have free time, go through the Illinois State Board of Education website. They have info for out-of-state & foreign applicants

4. bella84

bella84 Aficionado

Jun 25, 2015

Honestly, I would call ISBE and ask.

5. ChildWhisperer

ChildWhisperer Groupie

Jun 26, 2015

I asked a friend who had an out-of-state license teaching in IL and he said, "I have a provisional license because I'm out of state. But I had to send in my Iowa teaching license and I had to take my content test too."
    So it looks like you just need to take the content area exam (not TAP)