Hey Fellow Spedders!! :) What's going on?

Discussion in 'Special Education' started by ZoomZoomZOOM, Aug 13, 2011.

1. ZoomZoomZOOM

ZoomZoomZOOM Devotee

Aug 13, 2011

Just wondering how many of you have already started your school year yet - and if so, what has been your biggest success AND stumbling block?

I start a new job at a new school next week and school starts on the 22nd. I'm nervous as all get out. :unsure:

:atoz_love:

3. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Aug 13, 2011

I don't start for a few weeks yet, but my biggest challenge will be working with a new partner. She's been out of Special Ed for a few years, and a lot of the paperwork has changed. She'll be very good, but I'm afraid that she's going to burn herself out quickly.

4. karebear76

karebear76 Habitué

Aug 13, 2011

I go back on the 18th and students start on the 22nd. My biggest challenge right now is to finish my classroom and start planning for my class.

I'm starting off with 19 students :eek: that will be pulled for almost everything. I'll have them most of the day. I have to start planning my assessment stuff, as well as lessons. Not looking forward to being forced into Sci/SS inclusion either. Which severely limits my math time (I ask, which is more important: math or untested subjects? Obviously it's the untested subjects...)

5. SpecialPreskoo

SpecialPreskoo Moderator

Aug 13, 2011

I started on the 10th. Had 3 IEP meetings Thurs/Fri for 3 new ones. The kids start on Monday!!! I have 11 SPE and 10 Typical peers, but average 18-19 kids daily. Thank goodness for 2 aides and rather high functioning SPE Pre-Kers. I'm ready!!! I think! LOL

6. MATgrad

MATgrad Groupie

Aug 13, 2011

We start with the kids on the 22nd. I'm a little nervous about it since I'll have more severe than mod munchkins this year. Re-read the Syraucse Community Curriculum Guide to helpfully prep myself on the scope. I've been spending the last few days playing with boardmaker. So much to do so little time.

7. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

Aug 13, 2011

I'm in a new district, new school, new grade level this year and I'm not an official SPED teacher now. However, since I have ESE, Gen Ed, Gifted, and ESOL certification, many of those students have been placed with me.
    So, I'll be SPED in spirit this year! We go back Mon, kids in a week. I got my keys today so now I.m spending the weekend just moving things from home to school. BIG job ahead.
    Good luck, everyone :)

8. Proud2BATeacher

Proud2BATeacher Phenom

Aug 13, 2011

My students arrive on Monday. I was supposed to start with 5 students, but one of my student's moved to a foster home outside of the district and another student is still on holidays and his mother is not too sure when he will return. So that is only leaving me with 3 returning students.

I'm worried about the type of students that I will be getting. My class is supposed to be for students with severe behaviors and mild to moderate cognitive delays but I have been getting students with severe cognitive delays (really students who should be in a life skills class). This would not be a problem if I had educational assistants. My school district has hired behavior support people from an outside agency and one of mine is pretty well awful. She thinks she knows everything and spoils my students so that they will be good and like her. She also leaves to go to the bathroom and disappears for 30 minutes or more. I've worked with her for a couple of years and she has not changed. I told my assistant principal on Friday that I was not joking in June when I said that I did not want to work with her and that I wouldn't be upset if she was moved to another class.

9. ZoomZoomZOOM

ZoomZoomZOOM Devotee

Aug 13, 2011

Ugh - - That's all you need, right? When you have poor help, it can really impact your day more than the children can! I've had both bad and good help in the past. Next week I'll start working with a new one. So I'm crossing my fingers for BOTH of us! :thumb:

10. waterfall

waterfall Maven

Aug 13, 2011

My kids don't start till the 31st! Although I was never thrilled with the idea of having the same students for years on end/never getting a "fresh start" with a new class, I am really excited to see my students again! I saw a few of them at summer school and they were so excited! I also got a brand new room (new school building) that is just fabulous. I can't believe my luck- most resource teachers would probably die if they saw it! I've been having a good time setting that up and decorating and planning what I'm going to do for this year.

Last year I didn't have a teammate, and I sort of liked being the only one, tbh. This year I will have a teammate that is in charge of grades 6-8, and she is on her second year of probation. To say the least, I've not heard good things. She's taught for almost 10 years, but as a 2nd year teacher I've been placed in charge of everything for our department, and this teacher now reports to me. I've talked with her a few times and I think she is okay with me being in charge, but we'll see what happens when I actually start asking her to do things. I know a lot of the 7-8 grade students are REALLY low as well (reading on a 1st-2nd grade level) whereas my students aren't more than a year behind for the most part, and I'm really nervous that my P is going to try to stick those older students in my reading groups. She's vaguely mentioned it before. While it's flattering that she thinks putting them in MY group will make a big difference, I have my own entire caseload to worry about- I can't be teaching half of the other teachers' as well, especially since I'm running everything for RtI this year too!

11. ZoomZoomZOOM

ZoomZoomZOOM Devotee

Aug 14, 2011

You've already been there setting up? SO JEALOUS. I also have a new classroom at a new school and my kids start on the 22nd AND I HAVEN'T EVEN BEEN IN MY ROOM YET. My school was hosting a summer program this year so none of us can get into our rooms until tomorrow. GRR. I doubt I'll have everything done. Heck, I still have to take all of my stuff over there and unpack - - - 10 tubs, 6 boxes of books & MORE. :dizzy:

And re your new partner - - - whenever she's driving you bonkers and you want to tear your hair out - - just take a look around your BRAND NEW, GORGEOUS ROOM and take a deeep breath. ;)

12. emmakate218

emmakate218 Connoisseur

Aug 14, 2011

School starts on Tuesday, Aug 23 for my district. I started setting up this past week. I'm new to the program, the school, and the district. It'll be fun. ;) This coming week is in-service and I'll get to meet my aides tomorrow. I'm anxious. I feel like I'm going at a good pace with setting up and getting things prepared. I remind myself of all the things I don't yet know about though. Ha ha! Ignorance can be bliss...for a while.

13. MATgrad

MATgrad Groupie

Aug 14, 2011

It's great having a gorgeous BIG room! What kind of tech will you have? My room has a ceiling-mounted projector, wireless mic with built-in sound system, four touch-screen computers, ELMO, Interwrite MOBI pad and I just got a NEW smartboard. :woot: Whenever I'm ready to kill someone, I just think of my gorgeous room.

On another note though why do P's that? Don't they get that they will burn out their ESE teachers so much faster? I mean seriously. We have all the responsibilities of a classroom teacher plus a special ed teacher and they think that giving us more is ok. I just don't get it. :dizzy:

14. ZoomZoomZOOM

ZoomZoomZOOM Devotee

Aug 14, 2011

Ha - we're in the same boat then! *SAME-BOAT-HI-FIVE*

15. spedled

spedled Rookie

Aug 14, 2011

the students returned on the 8th, last monday. I had been in my class for two weeks planning and arranging for two new students that are autistic, only to be told on the Friday before school began, that i was being moved. I spent my Sunday afternoon preparing. I feel overwhelmed and now baseline assessments have begun. I cannot get a handle on this morning meeting as every student i have is at a different level. It is so hard to plan because I have to teach so many different IEP objectives. thank god for my 2 paras!

16. jadepnai

jadepnai Rookie

Aug 15, 2011

I don't return to work until Aug. 29th. Students return to school Sept 6th after labor day. I have another 2 weeks left to enjoy, then back to work. I will officially have just 1 grade level this year with about 5- 6 students only. Last year, I had 3rd and 4th grade. This year should be interesting since I have a new principal, so hopefully there wont be too much changes.

17. waterfall

waterfall Maven

Aug 15, 2011

Haha, you guys are right- I can admire my gorgeous room when my teammate is driving me up the wall. Our rooms used to be set up for cog. needs (we moved in to a remodeled building), so there is actually a connecting door. I've been moving furniture around, but right now I have a table in front of that door so it can't be used. I don't want the kids opening it, and with the way everything is set up I'd like to use that corner of the room. I'm afraid my teammate will think it's rude though. I mean, our rooms are right next to each other, so if we need something we can simply use the doors in the hallway, right? Should I just quickly mention something about needing that space for the table so she knows I wasn't just trying to block her out or something?

zoom- Yup, we could start unpacking starting last Monday. Our first teacher work day is this thursday, and then we have a ton of pd days. So starting thursday I'll only have about 1 1/2 days total that are free to work in my room until the first day of school, so I'm trying to set up now. I've unpacked all of my boxes for the most part, but I don't have everything organized yet and I haven't even started on my bulletin boards or walls or anything.

Mat- For tech I have a document camera that displays on a HUGE LCD screen. I also have a couple of computers. No smartboard- tbh, I'm sort of glad. I've only seen them briefly (no school I've ever been in for practicums or anything had one, but my dad has one), and I'd have no idea where to start or what to do with it. It may be a project I'd be interested in taking on in the future, but I already have a ton of new stuff on my plate for this year!

I just saw one of my students' at the local park today. I asked her if she was ready for school to start and she said, "Yes! I heard we are getting lots of new students...I am excited to be friends with them!" (Our new school accepted quite a few variances, so we will have about 70 new kids). So cute! I can't wait to see all the kids!

18. karebear76

karebear76 Habitué

Aug 16, 2011

I spent most of today trying to verify my class list. I've been thinking for quite some time that I would have 19 on my case load. I could only find 17 when looking for addresses. So, I spent a lot of time looking on different programs, checking with last year's teacher, looking for SIMMS folders, etc. Still could only account for 17. Finally asked the secretary if she could run a report of just the identifed students, and her report confirms 17. So I'm cautiously optimistic that I have 2 less students than I thought!

I'm still afraid of labeling everything for kids, and then having 2 more show up. I'm going to prep for more just in case.

I also got enough done that I'm staying home with the kids tomorrow. Hoping to spend the day at the lake with a picnic and such to enjoy our last day together. Thursday is the big day, and open house that night. I should have 3-4 hours then to finish up my loose ends: cleaning my teacher's corner LOL

19. waterfall

waterfall Maven

Aug 17, 2011

That's good news karebear!

I know what you mean about not labeling yet. Kids in my district move around so much that there are always a few coming in and out. I'm not setting anything up for specific students until the first day (I won't be teaching yet) when I can see who has actually enrolled and showed up! Last year they gave me a list before school started and it ended up being 5-6 kids different than what it said- not doing that again! I was at our local pool the other day with our SLP, and this family next to us starts talking about how their daughter is coming to our school but they haven't enrolled yet- and then they mentioned they had to make sure they brought her IEP in. So there's at least one new one, haha!

20. Mellz Bellz

Mellz Bellz Comrade

Aug 18, 2011

We start on the 25th, but today was the first optional workday. I'm moving out to the middle school this year to do inclusion, so that will be a challenge, but I think I'll enjoy it more than self-contained. I went to the elementary school today to grab some of my personal belongings that I left in my room over the summer assuming that I was coming back. I got to the meet the teacher who is moving in and although she's an experienced teacher I couldn't help but to feel like a nervous mother who is leaving her kids with a babysitter lol. I was trying to tell her which students were the behavior problems, who to keep apart, where they are academically... In a way though I am kind of glad I'm leaving. So far she'll have seven kids, but three of them are major behaviors. Then they are getting a kindergarten girl who is severely autistic and pretty much non verbal. She'll have a one on one, but I don't know how she'll do with the older boys who can be violent. It's not my problem anymore though, so I guess I'll just sit back and listen to all the stories I hear from that way.

I just found out that I'll be working with 6th grade which I'm pleased about because that's still almost elementary. Plus I know a lot of the incoming 6th graders from my old building which was why my new P decided to put me in 6th. I'm looking forward to it. I kind of know two of the reg ed teachers I'll be collaborating with because they are both in their 2nd year, so we know each other from new teacher PD. I have an office that I share with the two other inclusion teachers, so setting up my room was a no brainer. I really don't NEED anything since I'll be pushing in. I'm also looking forward to the middle school schedule. They have hour and a half blocks instead of periods, so I get 90 min each day to plan with my grade level and get paperwork done. After having NO planning time last year this sounds like a vacation!

My caseload isn't too bad either. I have I think 19 students. The only bad part is almost all their IEP's are up for Annual Review in March, April, and May, so I will be VERY busy around then. I almost don't know what to do tomorrow at work LOL. I have to fill out a purchase order for some supplies and then I will probably spend the day looking over my student's IEP folders and making sure everything is up to date.

21. ZoomZoomZOOM

ZoomZoomZOOM Devotee

Aug 21, 2011

Well gang, it all gets done in the end, right? Our new mantra: "It always gets done in the end. It always gets done in the end." OR "I never did mind the little things." LOL

I'm doing the "making a list, checking it twice" thing right now. Made my magic playdough and I'm hoping it doesn't turn all the kids' hands blue or whatever, so I made a ball for me that I'll try out later.

I still feel like I'm forgetting something!! UGH. For those of you starting tomorrow like me - - GOOD LUCK!! WE CAN DO THIS!! SHOW 'EM WHO'S BOSS!! ;)