Hey fellow-New-Teachers! How are you guys doing?

Discussion in 'New Teachers' started by ZoomZoomZOOM, Dec 11, 2008.

1. ZoomZoomZOOM

ZoomZoomZOOM Devotee

Dec 11, 2008

Monday will mark my (our?) FIFTEENTH WEEK OF TEACHING. Aaaaahhhgggghhh!!! :woot:

I just wondered how you other new folk are doing. Catching on okay? Finally know what you're doing? Making new friends? Keepin' those kiddos in line?

As for me, I feel like I'm finally getting the hang of things. My class knows the routine and follows instructions pretty well. I'm still having issues with my two aides, but I'm trying to stay as positive as possible. I've made a few new friends too.

Anyway, I still love my new job but I'm kinda sorta looking forward to a loooong winter break. ha

How about you guys?

3. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

Dec 11, 2008

I'm not into hot climates, but BOY is that trip to Florida in two weeks screaming out to me. Hope my dad puts up or shuts up when the husband and I mix cocktails. I could use the cocktails. It HAS been a rough semester, mostly due to the constant changes in Title reporting (I've had to change my methods three times). It's also taken a long time for my students to warm up to me enough to start asking for help.

On the other hand, I adore the stuffing out of my team teacher. She is so supportive and warm to me and our students. She's also taught me to just go with the flow with all our technical issues (something that used to drive me nuts). My kids, now that they're ready to ask for help, are wonderful in their interactions with me. YAY!

4. Beezus

Beezus Cohort

Dec 11, 2008

I agree with you, Zoom, I feel like I just hit my stride. I feel like I am in control, the extra hours are starting to die down a bit....(not that I'm not still one of the last ones out the door-- at least I'm not spending as many hours there on the weekend.

I'm also looking forward to 2 weeks off (HA- who am I kidding?!?! I'll be working! But at least it'll be at home!).

5. raneydae

raneydae Companion

Dec 11, 2008

ha ha - I'm not quite so confident at the moment, and this forum has several sad posts from me last night and today. :)

But I'm doing MUCH better right now (since I took a "mental health" day today) and looking forward to going in tomorrow...but yes, I still really am looking forward to Christmas break!

6. DrivingPigeon

DrivingPigeon Phenom

Dec 12, 2008

Well, thanks for asking. :)

Things are going really well for me. Lately I've been really annoyed with my students' inability to listen (they blurt out every 2 seconds...literally!), so I need to start coming down harder on them.

But, I can really see their growth lately, especially in the area of writing. I just had my first formal evaluation and it went really well. One more week until Christmas break!!!

7. Pisces_Fish

Pisces_Fish Fanatic

Dec 12, 2008

This week was hard, but last week I really began to feel like I've started to hit my stride, but I still know it's a bumpy ride all the way to the end. I am VERY excited for my 2 week break. I'm going home, and I haven't been home in almost a year.

8. scooter503

scooter503 Comrade

Dec 13, 2008

I feel like things are going pretty well. Like a few others said, I'm not staying quite so late every night (just one or two nights a week). I was real proud of my kids on Friday, so it was a good day.

On the other hand, I haven't had a full week with my kids in a while. I took a personal day the first week of December, two weeks before that, I had to take off for a funeral, this past week I had to take a half day for an appointment, and now will probably need to take a day this week for another funeral. Makes it hard to feel settled when I'm always planning for a sub. And I just started two grad classes, so I have that added stress as well. I think Christmas break is coming at a great time!

9. ZoomZoomZOOM

ZoomZoomZOOM Devotee

Dec 13, 2008

Yeah, I had heard that new teachers spend long hours after school planning. But I'm not having to stay late at all. Sometimes I'll stay an hour but never later than that. I do most of my planning at home. ??

Glad to hear everyone is hanging in there and there's no real problems.

WE ROCK!!! :D

10. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

Dec 13, 2008

On top of all the prep work, I made the mistake of volunteering to be a guinea pig for a new online class for the teachers, so I'm trying to zip through all that material while prepping for the next unit I'm teaching. Oh, and I have my Praxis III prep meeting on Monday and student one-on-one tutoring sessions the days after that. I'm suddenly more overwhelmed than I realized, plus I'm still not feeling right!

11. Missy99

Missy99 Connoisseur

Dec 18, 2008

I love teaching!!!

12. ZoomZoomZOOM

ZoomZoomZOOM Devotee

Dec 18, 2008

:lol: Okay!!

13. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

Dec 18, 2008

I love my kids but OH do I need this break! True, I'll be working through a good chunk of it, but I need a mental margarita.

14. MrsTeacher2Be

MrsTeacher2Be Companion

Dec 21, 2008

:lol: I love that! I've been 'working' since we got out, but doing it from the house and knowing I don't HAVE to do it right this minute is the perfect mental margarita. DH knew I'd drag him up to my room sometime over the break so Friday night he decided to go ahead and get it over with and we spent 6 hours up there Friday night and another 5 hours up there yesterday, but my classroom is finally EXACTLY the way I want it! Starting in the middle of the semester I never had a chance to organize and arrange, etc, but I have spent 2 days sorting through MOUNTAINS of papers and rearranging and cleaning, and all kinds of stuff. I'm SO excited about starting back in January (as if you can't tell :lol:) since lately I've been feeling more like I know what I'm doing, plus I'm finally organized, AND we start all new classes that will be MY classes, not Mrs. J's classes!

15. Kate Change

Kate Change Companion

Dec 23, 2008

Things are going pretty well. I finnally feel like I know what I am doing! I'm still struggling to work with some of the regular education teachers (others are great) but I think that might just be a part of life. I'm very excited about going home for Christmas and I think the rest of the year will go pretty well! All in all, things are looking up!

16. TeacherShelly

TeacherShelly Aficionado

Dec 23, 2008

I've really detoxed in the three days I've had off so far. Oh, and thanks for asking! :) My kids are great, parents, principal, school and district are great. Everything is going my way ! I do work waaaay too many hours, though, creating new units and devising new ways to create community between the kids. But I love it and would not go back to my old job for anything.

17. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

Dec 23, 2008

I'm somewhat relaxed and on my vacation but am still getting emails from my kids. One of my favorites had still not gotten the news that she failed two of her graduation exams (not the subjects I teach) and I want to strangle the teachers who hadn't contacted her. Ah well, at least she got the news from a teacher she likes.

18. Missy99

Missy99 Connoisseur

Dec 24, 2008

My sentiments exactly -- the same scenario.

I was telling a friend yesterday that I never loved going to work until I became a teacher.

Just call me crazy :haha: