Hey Everyone! Need some advice please :)

Discussion in 'General Education' started by Harmony2, Aug 12, 2013.

1. Harmony2

Harmony2 Companion

Aug 12, 2013

Well, it feels like ages since I have been on.. but....

I am now a licensed NJ teacher! Now comes the fun part, finding a permanent position.:unsure:

I finished my placement March 15, and started working as a long term sub for a maternity leave in May that was supposed to go until October. I was also fortunate to work that district's summer program.

I got word last week that the teacher out on maternity is coming back sooner because of finances. :( So.. there goes that. I asked about other positions, and there is nothing, even though this is a high needs district in NJ. I was told they will keep me as a permanent sub, though.

I also teach an enrichment class after school 5 days a week and that I will remain doing this coming year.

Since I just found this out, I have been scrambling to find something else; with two kids in college I really can't do much down time.

There were fortunately a few positions posted, and I interviewed and received two position offers today. They are :

As a Para at a very good autism school, with the P telling me he sees me teaching within a year. Full benefits, and state teachers pension. Starting salary? 16,500. :eek: This with my BA/MA in Ed. Still, I am hoping to teach students with Autism, so this will be a great experience.

Second offer, long term sub, Sept. to Feb. severely handicapped classroom in another high needs district, 1 hour commute.

Third option: I am part of Source4Teachers. I can sub as often as I want to, but will likely not be in the same districts or schools every day unless I get a long term sub position.

I have a few other resumes pending in a couple more high needs district, but haven't heard anything yet.

What would you do if you were me? Sigh. I have wanted this for so long, and knew it was going to be tough once I was out here, but never would have believed it was THIS tough.

Thanks for any and all advice. :)

3. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Aug 12, 2013

I would take the para job. Benefits, retirement, and an opportunity to move into a regular teaching position.

4. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Aug 12, 2013

I agree- I'd go with option A as long as you can survive on the salary.

5. Harmony2

Harmony2 Companion

Aug 12, 2013

That is where I am leaning, Caesar. It's still in the area where my district I have been in is, and I am in that district still for the enrichment classes, so they will still see my face.

Source4Teachers is decent, but I do not like the idea of hip hopping to different schools and districts every day, I feel like no one will ever really get to see me teach that way. Not consistently, anyway.

I love the district I had the long term in, and ideally would want to be there, but even though it is a high needs district, they lost a lot of funding, so they aren't doing any hiring right now beyond subs.

I had gotten my hopes up a bit when they asked me to work the summer program, and I was there every day from 9-5, sometimes 6. So this is tough to not be able to stay where I have been. Still everything happens for a reason.

6. Harmony2

Harmony2 Companion

Aug 12, 2013

I am not the sole earner thank goodness, but with what I have to pay for my kids out of pocket tuitions and my own loans, it is going to be a very tight pinch. Not exactly the salary I'd like to be seeing. Even though I did not get into teaching for the gazillion dollar paycheck, Sallie Mae doesn't care that I am making peanuts, she wants her money. :lol: Still, the potential for a teaching position is what makes me think this is the best option, along with the pension and benefits. And the P brought the teaching position up, not me, so I felt it was genuine. He said out of all the teachers he has hired as paras, and there has been quite a few, all but two have went on to become teachers at the school, and the school itself is always expanding. They are also in contract negotiations right now, so he said that the salary should rise.