Hey, all you technology teachers!

Discussion in 'General Education' started by Jem, Jul 17, 2010.

1. Jem

Jem Aficionado

Jul 17, 2010

My upper elementary program is trying to create a technology room/lab. We currently have 3 Mac desktop computers, but are hoping to get a few more to start the year. We're trying to figure out how to lay the room out, and generally what to do with the space. The computers are the only thing in there right now, so it's needing a lot of help.

It's not a huge room (11 x 16). It's in a longer rectangular shape. I have a materials wishlist, but that may take a while to gather. I'm more interested in what kind of cabinets you have, what sort of displays you have, etc. Even the table that the computers are on needs to be replaced. Or even if you have some equipment that you really love that I should consider for the future that would require thought in the planning of the room at this time.

Here are pictures before the room got cleared out (the shelves are gone now).

3. TeacherShelly

TeacherShelly Aficionado

Jul 17, 2010

My coworker went to China to see a few alternative education schools there. In her slideshow were THE computer tables and I've emailed her to get a copy to show you. I hope you can see them before you have to decide. I can't remember the details to tell except they fully integrated technology and were kid friendly.

4. Noel

Noel Companion

Jul 17, 2010

Jem, Hopefully I can help you a little here....I taught computers for our district and was in 3 different Elementary schools for 3 years.

If the room doesn't have a SmartBoard or some type of interactive white board, you will want one of them. If you can't get one, then a LCD projector and screen is a must have....it makes group instruction much easier. Also another cool thing to have is a ELMO document camera.

There are lots of tech type posters out there to decorate with. But I will say that one of the best displays I ever did was a huge (like 9 feet long by 3 feet wide) keyboard. I had one in each of the 3 schools and used it everyday. It was a breeze to show students exactly which key to push. Unfortunately I don't have a picture here at home, but if I get into school this week, I will take a picture of one of them. I used publisher and made each key the size of a postcard (vertical) and then formatted the larger keys a little differently. I mounted everything to some black fadeless bulletin board paper and laminated it and hung.

One other thing, each student in our schools had their own headphones that the school supplies. Each were in a ziploc plastic bag and stored together in a box with a lid, by class. So maybe that is something to think about...

I hope this helps. As far as other storage, I had letter trays and bigger wooden cabinets with doors. Nothing special really.

5. Jem

Jem Aficionado

Jul 17, 2010

Great ideas! I can't wait to see those tables, Shelly!!

I'm hoping to get a Smartboard through a Scholastic book fair this fall.

Can't wait to read more!

6. JTeach619

JTeach619 Companion

Jul 17, 2010

I agree with Noel, you should definitely get that Smartboard! It makes it a lot easier for the kiddos to follow along when you are giving them instructions on what website to go to, what to click on, etc. My old school also had two posters of acceptable websites for the kids to visit (one was for K-2 and the other was for 3 - 5). Depending on how many students will be using the computers I also recommend numbering the computers and headphones and assigning the students a computer number for the year. This way, if something gets broken, you have a pool of possible suspects lol

7. sundrop

sundrop Cohort

Jul 18, 2010

That's how I got the SmartBoard for my lab last year! I love having it. :)