Hey all you PA teachers, there is HOPE-read this

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by rookieABC123, Aug 6, 2007.

1. rookieABC123

rookieABC123 Comrade

Aug 6, 2007

Have you read about the legislation that they are trying to pass in PA? I think it is wonderful news for all of us still looking here in PA. It is extremely rare to get a job here and most of us have to move south to find jobs. I really hope this bill finally gets passed!!

Early retirement bills supported by western Pa. lawmakers

Cheers of support heard throughout Capitol as Daley introduces 30-and-Out legislation

HARRISBURG, April 19 -- Cheers of “30 and Out” could be heard in the state Capitol yesterday as state Rep. Peter J. Daley exhorted a crowd of teachers and state employees at his “Rally in the Rotunda for Retirement.”

“Our primary objective here is to create jobs and keep our young people in Pennsylvania. With both bills combined, 14,000 new jobs will be given back to the state. Right now, we are lagging being and exporting our youth all over the country to find jobs. We want them to stay here and raise their families,” Daley said.

Joining Daley on the Rotunda steps in support of the two bills were western Pennsylvania Reps. Tim Solobay, Deberah Kula, Mark Longietti, Jarret Gibbons and Ted Harhai, as well as another dozen Democratic and Republican legislators from across the state, and Wes Johnson, president of SEIU local 668. Longietti and Johnson joined Daley at the speaker’s podium. The bills have a total of 60 cosponsors.

Kula said, “I’ve seen too many young people in my area leave for North Carolina, Nevada and other states because they could not find a job. At the same time, retirees want to transition into other careers or retire, but are unable.”

“This is a win-win situation because it would allow teachers and state employees who are ready to leave the system to do so and create jobs for our young people while saving money in the form of lower starting salaries for new employees,” Solobay said.

SEIU’s Johnson said, “We support these bills and are eager to work shoulder to shoulder with Representative Daley and other members to get this legislation passed.”

Daley explained that H.B. 230 is an early retirement bill for teachers and H.B. 231 is an early retirement bill for the state employees. The proposal requires two separate bills because of the different administrative provisions in each.

Harhai said, “This bill has three distinct benefits: it gives our veteran teachers peace of mind so they can retire when they’re ready to move on or end their careers; it opens doors for our young teachers, many of whom were educated in Pennsylvania colleges, but otherwise might need to leave the state to find a job; and it provides budgetary relief for school districts by bringing in younger teachers at a lower salary.”

Both bills would offer two-year “windows” and early retirement without penalty. Criteria for the early retirement would be either 30 or more years of service, or a combination of age and years of service equal to 80. The two window target dates are March 1 to June 1 in both 2008 and 2009.

“They always say ‘the third time’s a charm,’” Daley said, noting that this is the third consecutive session that he has introduced legislation aimed at early retirement.

3. Occabacca

Occabacca Companion

Aug 6, 2007

That is great if it gets passed. SOmething has to give, I mean schools in PA are dumping ot education majors by the truckload and the jobs are so hard to get.

Thanks for the info.

btw you said your 25 mi out of da burg, what town do you live in??

4. Miss_J

Miss_J Habitué

Aug 6, 2007

It can happen in PA.
    I subbed for 2 and 1/2 years and volunteered in the district.
    I got the job with 1 interview. It was 1 year long term, last year was also 1 year long term. My principal told me he believes that I will get the contract this year, just waiting for my call.
    It's tough, but it can definitely happen!!

5. teach123

teach123 Cohort

Aug 6, 2007

What does this mean for us "older" teachers who are trying to get back into the workforce after staying home to raise our kids. We are already being discriminated against. Is this just another form of age discrimination?

6. teach123

teach123 Cohort

Aug 6, 2007

Where?

7. patti2

patti2 Cohort

Aug 6, 2007

Our district (not sure if it is the whole state) has this kind of things and all parties seem to be thrilled. They DO NOT kick out older teachers-you can teach as long as you wish! They do NOT discriminate against older teachers coming back after staying home. (I got hired like that!)

here is what our district does:

When someone has been with the district for a set amount of time-they put in that they are retiring...up to three years in advance if they know that. Once they do this they are locked in and cannot back out unless a major catastrophe hits their life financially.

They get an increase in salary for those years (retirement bonus).

They retire as THEY planned.

They can work as a sub or something, but are only allowed 120 per calendar year....so they may NOT get hired permanently for full-time anything!

These people are usually topped out on the salary scale. Any teacher (even us oldies) come in under their salaries. Most districts like a mix of older w/experience and brand new. They kind of round that out in the buildings here.

Under no circumstances do they ever poll the older teachers and lurch around like vultures. But, every year tons of teachers decide to take the retirement this way! They have seminars that any teacher who is interested can go and find out what it is all about. They NEVER push someone out, but the extra pay increase helps them out and makes them feel appreciated for their years of service.

8. rookieABC123

rookieABC123 Comrade

Aug 6, 2007

I agree, I wouldn't want someone pushing me out teaching either! However, I would definitely consider it if I had been teaching for 30+ years, which I plan on doing. I think it's a great plan and of course you want to feel valued for all those years of service. I think it's a win-win situation.

9. pmfawcett

pmfawcett Rookie

Aug 7, 2007

They have been talking about this for years. When I was interning 7 years ago, there was a similar bill in legislation that was voted down. It would be great if it passes, but who knows what or when it will happen! :)

10. Maryhf

Maryhf Connoisseur

Aug 8, 2007

IMO, I don't think this will help job seekers this year. i personally know several teachers in my school alone who are considering retirement if 30 and out passes - or those who are certain they will retire! Too late for this year though! Get in there and do LTS so you look good on paper when the openings arise.

11. MsMar

MsMar Fanatic

Aug 8, 2007

I'm student teaching this fall so I'd love it if this happens! It would be perfect timing for me if lots of people retire at the end of the 07-08 school year. I'll cross my fingers :).

12. Xgomenara9

Xgomenara9 Rookie

Aug 10, 2007

I GOT A YAB!

I got a job! I interviewed for a teacher's aide position and was qualified to teach elementary school so they hired me! I am so excited. Does anyone have any suggestions about what I should buy for my third grade classroom?