"Hero" Student

Discussion in 'General Education' started by PinkCupcake, May 8, 2013.

1. PinkCupcake

PinkCupcake Cohort

3. bison

bison Habitué

May 8, 2013

Well... he's not wrong. We don't really have any information about the kid, teacher, or class so I don't feel like I can make a judgement. There's no context. I do think that kids should have a right to advocate for themselves and their educations. If he's not getting one, he should express it. He sounds like he actually cares, and that's a good thing. There may be a better place and time, but like I said, need more info. As someone who cares about education, it is hard to hear a kid begging to learn and be taught.

4. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

May 8, 2013

I'm going to assume the teacher is a dud. I know that may not be accurate, but...it doesn't seem like a horrible conclusion. It just makes me sad that he's passionate about learning (and gets it) while the teacher isn't.

I think it's important to respect people. But if this teacher has continually disrespected her students by showing up only for the paycheck as mentioned in the video, then... Sometimes you have to say what needs to be said. I hope he speaks to administration about his concerns.

5. PinkCupcake

PinkCupcake Cohort

May 8, 2013

This happened in a district close to me. I can see both sides of this.There definitely has to be more to this situation than the clip shows. I missed the local news report on it, but I'll see if I can find it and post the student interview.

6. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

May 8, 2013

It sounds like he was a new(er) student. So, while it is disrespectful and him point could have been made in a different way, I applaud him for wanting a good education for himself and his peers.
    And as a job seeker, it kills me that people like her have jobs....

7. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

May 8, 2013

http://www.myfoxdfw.com/video?clipId=8858377&topVideoCatNo=237008&autoStart=true

He dropped out of school and has returned as an eighteen year old sophomore and says he takes education seriously now. I respect that.

He also stated that the one cuss word he used was in response to the teacher cussing. It all started because he asked why his class had less time to take the test than other classes and apparently the teacher said something about him "b*tching"...that's why he emphasized that word.

There are sooo many crappy teachers. It's possible she's one. I hope to hear from her.

8. Mr.history

Mr.history Cohort

May 9, 2013

I don't really know what to think about this. This student wasn't exactly a model student(says he dropped out as a freshman) however a good teacher doesn't tell their students to quit their b**ching.

I truly hope this teacher wasn't really just handing out packets every day. I've never understood the teachers who did this. The most fun part of my job is actually getting to teach. Grading papers is awful. Who wants to teach this way?

9. Linguist92021

Linguist92021 Phenom

May 9, 2013

Well, if all they do are packets, I get his point. I've been seeing so many teachers just hand out packets and have the students fill them out. One of my pet peeves is when the students have to read chapters in the textbook and answer the questions in the end, all independently. What they really do is not read the material but skim it, fishing for the answer. They will not have an understanding of the material, even though they can answer the questions. I hate it!
    Or when teachers just put movies on for them, they're educational movies, but all the time??

I cannot teach like that. Occasionally I revert to that but only for behavioral issues. For example today in my geography class the students were very wild, I finally said they were to do it on their own. Some did it, some complained that they can't do it (I had questions guiding them, so it was super easy), and I swore to myself that tomorrow we'll just move on. I know I will not feel comfortable unless we go over everything tomorrow and I can make sure they understand it. I want them to know it, at least understand it.

10. PinkCupcake

PinkCupcake Cohort

May 9, 2013

11. Cerek

Cerek Aficionado

May 9, 2013

"Hero" student? Sounds more like a frikkin' smarta$$ to me. (borrowing from the students language).

I'm rather disappointed that all the reports insist he only used 1 cuss-word when he says "frikkin" at least 4-5 times during his rant.

As for the teacher, I need more information and background before I take the student's side against her. I've had PLENTY of kids tell me "We're not learning anything", "You tell us boring stories then switch back to the material we're supposed to be covering" (the "boring stories" are examples of how the material is applied in real world applications), and I've worked at a school where the ONLY way to get ANY production or engagement at all from student was to GIVE them worksheets each day. I would sit down with them and go over the problems on the worksheet. They paid attention when I did that. When I tried to illustrate it on the board, they zoned out.

Maybe this teacher DOES need to improve her teaching style (and I'm always looking for ways to improve my own), but I've been in situations where I HAVE given my best effort to educate - and ENGAGE - the students and had them say things very similar to the comments this kid made.

After seeing the follow-up interviews, I'm glad the student realizes he could have made his point in a more appropriate manner. I'm glad he also supposedly has no ill-feelings towards the teacher. I certainly agree admin needs to speak with the teacher about her apparent use of profanity herself, but I still feel the student DOES owe the teacher an apology for the WAY he talked to her, even if he doesn't apologize for the message itself.

12. Rockguykev

Rockguykev Connoisseur

May 9, 2013

I called my out my honors govt teacher in high school for not teaching us anything (we did student presented current events 3 days a week and they were awful) when I was a senior. I did it rationally and privately.

We were reading the Federalist Papers the next day.

The teacher may be doing a terrible job but there are less attention seeking ways of handling such a thing.

13. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

May 9, 2013

I've never known frikkin or freaking to be a cuss word.

14. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

May 9, 2013

I don't blame the kid for expressing his opinions. To me he seemed to keep a fairly level head. Of course he could have expressed himself in a more appropriate way, certainly privately. All things considered, however, especially the fact that he's a teenager, I have to give him credit for not going any more overboard.

It's hard to judge the overall situation without more information. It's certainly possible that he is misinterpreting events in that classroom, that the teacher is a strong teacher and he (the student) is just trying to get out of a consequence. Truthfully, though, I get the impression that the student is probably more right about the situation than wrong. I've certainly known "paycheck" teachers, and they seem to be a lazy bunch. I can definitely understand this student's frustrations if he is indeed correct about the situation.

Has the teacher responded to this video at all?

15. Cerek

Cerek Aficionado

May 9, 2013

It's an obvious variation of a word. It is also disrespectful regardless if it is considered profane or not.

16. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

May 9, 2013

But you said you were unhappy the reporters indicate one cuss word. And as you said here, frikkin is a "variation" of a cuss word. I consider it a cousin...kind of like God and gosh. You're entitled to find it inappropriate, of course, but I don't think the reporters made an error. Maybe they could have reported "one cuss word and other questionable language...", but I'm fine with what was shared.

17. Cerek

Cerek Aficionado

May 9, 2013

Yes, I would have preferred they had described some of his other language as questionable. Then again, I also would prefer that other teachers give no credibility at all to this student being described as a "hero" of any sort either.

18. MissJill

MissJill Cohort

May 9, 2013

Good for the kid. I only hope that if one day I'm sitting in my classroom, handing out packets, collecting a pay check, and expecting students to care about their education someone says this to me.

19. Sweet_P

Sweet_P Rookie

May 9, 2013

I definitely agree that we don't know all of the details regarding the situation, but I really feel like he's passionate about his education and genuinely wants to learn. The teacher also didn't defend herself. While he probably should have privately discussed this with his teacher, I feel like for the most part he was respectful in the way he came across. It's also possible that he knows this teacher very well and she really isn't meant to be there.

I'm not a teacher yet though so take my opinion with a grain of salt.

20. 2ndTimeAround

2ndTimeAround Phenom

May 9, 2013

I hardly consider the student a hero. I do appreciate him wanting to learn but he doesn't get to dictate how a teacher runs her classroom.

My own daughter complained about an AP teacher that only handed out packets. But she got a 5 on the exam. And there isn't any way that she went out of her way to learn material on her own - she was much too lazy for that. So she obviously learned a lot from the class.

21. 2ndTimeAround

2ndTimeAround Phenom

May 9, 2013

Sweet P, I'm confused about your statement about defending herself. It would have been really inappropriate for her to get into that in the classroom. Even so, I would never "defend" myself to my students. If one calmly asks why I do this or that, I might get my reasons behind my decision. I might not, especially if I suspect they are just trying to get me off-task with a discussion.

22. Myrisophilist

Myrisophilist Habitué

May 9, 2013

The medium is the message. It's hard to take the student's sentiments seriously when he chooses to express himself by disrupting the class and disrespecting the teacher.

Personally, when students approach me with a suggestion one-on-one, I listen and make sure they know that I value their feedback. Students who make a show of "suggesting" that things be facilitated differently don't get a hearing.

23. iteachbx

iteachbx Enthusiast

May 9, 2013

Honestly, from what the kid said I don't think he's that creative, smart or heroic. He just blurted out a bunch of stuff he's probably heard in the media.

If the teacher is crappy then he or she should hear that from administration and he or she shouldn't be teaching. The student definitely has a right to be upset with the teacher and to speak his mind. He definitely didn't do it in a mature way. What he accomplished was getting attention. If he really wanted to make a change he should have gathered some evidence, some like minded peers and started petitioning the administration or school board to look into this teacher or make changes. Taking action in that way would have been heroic. Throwing a little a hissy fit to state his opinions (no matter how correct they may be) isn't heroic. That's not a way to accomplish something.

24. MikeTeachesMath

MikeTeachesMath Devotee

May 9, 2013

When we make packets out of selected readings, it keeps us from having to force students to read textbooks to get the material, and because they’re shown to help bridge the achievement gap between able & disabled students, many of whom have difficulty taking accurate notes. Yes, all teaching methods should be done in moderation and maybe she leaned too heavily on one.

But if you expect someone to take your criticism constructively, pro-tip, don’t call them out in public. Shame doesn’t correct behavior, it makes enemies.

I think the teacher handled this well. She didn't engage him. He was way out of line doing this publicly in front of her students, and I don't blame her for taking it personally.

Plus, if his argument held any water in that classroom, the students would be cheering, not laughing.

25. PinkCupcake

PinkCupcake Cohort

May 9, 2013

My thoughts exactly. I'll be watching the news again for any teacher or district response. I wouldn't consider this student a hero, but I do applaud him for realizing his mistake of dropping out of high school and trying to turn it around. I went to professional development a couple weeks ago and some students attended. In one session a student said herself, "We learn more when we're involved and engaged. We don't learn anything from only the teacher talking and nothing else." I found her words powerful. If that doesn't get a teacher's attention I don't know what will.
    I don't think of freakin' friggin' whatever as a cuss word. Is it necessarily appropriate? No. It could have been much worse. I've heard worse from the little ones I teach.

26. bison

bison Habitué

May 9, 2013

The district's statement:

"As a district with a motto of engaging hearts and minds, we focus on building positive relationships with students and designing engaging work that is meaningful. We want our students and teachers to be engaged, but the method by which the student expressed his concern could have been handled in a more appropriate way."

27. 2ndTimeAround

2ndTimeAround Phenom

May 9, 2013

I wonder what active learning and engaging lessons really look like to students.

There is a push here (and I assume most everywhere) to step away from direct instruction and move toward project-based learning. I sometimes wonder if I spend too much time up front lecturing from a powerpoint. Powerpoints are the backbone of my lessons. But I often hear from my students how much they like that I "teach." They equate direct instruction with teaching, as if planning projects, compiling worksheets and finding webquests isn't teaching.

I heard the same thing from my own kids and their friends. Hands-down they appreciated the teachers that provided direct instruction.

28. Sweet_P

Sweet_P Rookie

May 9, 2013

I guess "defend herself" wasn't the right way to put it. I really just want to hear her side of the story. And after reading the other responses here, it probably wouldn't have been the best decision to engage with the student.

29. Cerek

Cerek Aficionado

May 9, 2013

:clap::clap::clap::clap::clap:

Thank you both. This is what I was trying to say, but the two of you said it much better than I.

30. Linguist92021

Linguist92021 Phenom

May 9, 2013

I feel the same way about my own teaching, and agree with everything you said.

31. Bella2010

Bella2010 Habitué

May 9, 2013

Kind of sounds like a canned/rehearsed answer. :confused:

Random: I wonder why he isn't getting his GED instead?

32. PinkCupcake

PinkCupcake Cohort

May 10, 2013

As of this morning the news reported the teacher was placed on leave.

33. cynstv

cynstv Rookie

May 10, 2013

I used to teach in this district. I can tell you one thing; Duncanville ISD really does expect teachers to be engaging with students. This has been their motto for many years, and they spend (or at least did when I was there) a great deal of time and effort trying to give good PD so teachers can do exactly that. Most of the teachers that I saw in the district really did strive to engage their students. Somehow, this one made it past all the appraisals and such under the radar. One thing I can say, when teacher evaluations have a set period of time they are taking place in, teachers are able to put on a dog and pony show for admin.
    I applaud the young man for his speaking up. Was he disruptive? Sure he was... was it called for? Probably. Systems only change when people upset the system and initiate the change.

34. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

May 10, 2013

Wow, that IS news. I wonder if there were any parental statements in support of the student in the video.

35. blazer

blazer Connoisseur

36. Eurydike

Eurydike Rookie

May 10, 2013

Wow! This video has really gone viral...

37. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

38. monsieurteacher

monsieurteacher Aficionado

39. readingrules12

readingrules12 Aficionado

May 10, 2013

After watching the YouTube video carefully, I see the teacher just sitting at her desk. Is it me or does it look like she is also on the phone? The students have nothing on their desks and look really bored. I can't imagine sitting at your desk while all the students do...nothing? Well, I guess one student did something about it. I don't like how he handled it, but I can definitely sympathize a bit with his frustration.

40. a2z

a2z Virtuoso

May 10, 2013

It is possible she is calling the office to let them know a student is on the way.

I agree the kids look bored and non-engaged.

41. 2ndTimeAround

2ndTimeAround Phenom

May 10, 2013

They were getting ready to take a test, correct? I wouldn't expect students to have anything on their desks if that is the case.

I didn't see a phone, but I don't have a problem with her sitting at her desk. Before a test I sit up front and take questions from students. I definitely don't see a problem with her staying in her seat as he is on a rant. Best way to prevent it from escalating.