Here's why we need to re-think our views on educators and social networking

Discussion in 'General Education' started by Sarge, Feb 6, 2013.

1. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Feb 9, 2013

Whatever happened to the whole, "it takes a whole village to raise a child"? Sending an FYI to parents through a facebook message is our new looking out for the neighborhood kids.

2. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Feb 9, 2013

I had a few hundred students on my teacher account and each time I checked it there were dozens and dozens of shocking, offensive, bothersome, scary posts. I couldn't possibly make contact with each family. I called one in a severe case (think "To Catch a Predator"), but only that once. Just like my teachers couldn't be in my home each night to take care of any issues there, I can't be in their homes through the Internet. I do my very best to positively influence students when they are under my care and the school works to inform parents about various dangers whether it be online, trends such as the choking game, and so forth. Of course if I knew a child was in true and imminent danger through a post on Facebook or a journal entry, I'd absolutely do what I could to help, but I just can't be on duty 24/7. I fear some people expect or will expect in the future for teachers to purposefully monitor students' activity, online or otherwise, at all times...and that's just too much.