here's my story

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by emb382, Jun 1, 2012.

1. emb382

emb382 Rookie

Jun 1, 2012

I went on my first interview at a school 1 1/2 away from my house. I was excited that I got called, but I didn't apply for the job. I found out that one of the people I interviewed with at the local job fair (8 districts) must have liked me because she was in my interview. Anyway, the P seemed concerned about my location, which is understandable. A week later, I got the rejection letter. I was okay with it, though, because it just didn't feel right

The same day I got the rejection letter, I got a phone call to interview for another elementary position-different district and position. I was surprised to get this call, as well, because I wasn't sure I had the right certifications. It was a gifted position, so certifications can vary. I am sorry to say that I got very busy and stressed, and forgot to send a thank you note. I think it's partly because I knew that I would not accept this, even if I did get an offer. Two weeks later, I got this rejection letter. Of course, I started to feel a little discouraged.

So, here's the good news. I got a call to interview for a job that I told myself all throughout college that I would not be interested in. I actually answered the P's phone call on accident! I would have called him back, don't get me wrong. I find out that the same lady from the job fair had set up this interview as well. I was very excited for the interview. The following Sunday, I get a phone call to interview for my dream job in the school I completed a ST placement in. The placement was successful, and I had good relationships with my CT and para I worked with. I also had strong experiences in another ST placement that "extra" qualified me for the job, as a first year. I ended up going to both interviews on the same day. Well, the first interview went really well, so I went into the second interview (for dream job) super confident. Until I had to sit in the office for 40 mins. They were running behind, which meant I had the extra time to stress!! Anyway, the interview was okay. Two days later, I send TY notes via USPS. I also send a follow up email about a week after interview. After hearing nothing, I started applying everywhere within 3 hours, instead of 1, of my house. So the good news: I got a call from central office to set up an appt with the super. They offered me the job! I accepted without any regrets about the dream job. I found out from a CT that I was one of the final 2 candidates, and she talked to her for 20 minutes about this job. CT was shocked I didnt get it. I'm happy I made it that far in the process, but I think it's a sign that I am in the right position for right now.

I wanted to share to answer any questions from others like me, who might frantically search these threads for answers. I went on 5 interviews total, all for very different positions. Basically, I got interviews within 2 weeks of each job being posted, and a job offer 3 weeks after first interview. Luckily, in my case, the super meeting was a contract signing, not another interview :)

3. MATgrad

MATgrad Groupie

Jun 2, 2012

Congrats! Enjoy your new position :)

4. mopar

mopar Multitudinous

Jun 2, 2012

Congrats! What will you be teaching?

5. leighbball

leighbball Virtuoso

Jun 2, 2012

Congrats!! What will you be teaching?? Can we add you to the jobs thread? :)

6. AlwaysAttend

AlwaysAttend Fanatic

Jun 2, 2012

Congrats and Good Luck.

7. Kangaroo22

Kangaroo22 Virtuoso

Jun 2, 2012

Congratulations!

8. MathEqualsLove

MathEqualsLove Companion

Jun 2, 2012

Congrats!

9. emb382

emb382 Rookie

Jun 2, 2012

Thanks!! Sure, please add me! It is a self contained middle school sped program

10. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Jun 2, 2012

Congrats!!!!

Proof that a real job in the hand beats the mythical "dream job" wherever else it might be!

11. emb382

emb382 Rookie

Jun 2, 2012

Absolutely! We all have to believe that we have the jobs we are meant to. These are the kids that need us now :)

12. AZMrs.S

AZMrs.S Cohort

Jun 2, 2012

Congrats!!