Here we go!

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by runsw/scissors, Aug 11, 2019.

1. runsw/scissors

runsw/scissors Phenom

Aug 11, 2019

Last week the teachers all had their meetings and building prep time. Tomorrow the kids return with all their smiling faces. All summer I've slept like a baby, but the past week has been nothing but broken sleep coupled with tossing and turning. I don't feel stressed in the slightest. Hopefully this sleep pattern will change soon so I can be my best for my kiddos. Anyone else have this problem of not sleeping well before school starts? Advice?

Tired Teacher likes this.
  3. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Maven

Aug 11, 2019

I’m a terrible sleeper in general. My natural sleep cycle is more like someone working second or third shift, so getting up at 6am is not for me.

During the school year I take 10mg of melatonin every night, and it helps.

I have been on my school schedule since the third week of July. I am almost sleeping like a normal person at this point.

SpecialPreskoo and Tired Teacher like this.
  4. Emily Bronte

Emily Bronte Groupie

Aug 11, 2019

I have tried to keep a normal sleep schedule this summer. I don’t set an alarm, but I’ve been up by 7AM every day.

SpecialPreskoo and bella84 like this.
  5. Tired Teacher

Tired Teacher Comrade

Aug 12, 2019

I slept sooo good all summer. I love not waking up to an alarm.
    However a couple of wks ago, I got way off schedule.
    I stayed out too late a couple of nights.
    I do not even try to sleep now until late.
    I keep dreaming about school.
    At least last night, it was a good dream.

6. bella84

bella84 Aficionado

Aug 17, 2019

I need structure in my life, so I kept a somewhat regular sleeping/waking routine during the summer. I find that it helps to make it easier when school starts back up again, and it allows me to feel like a valuable member of society over the summer.

I didn't have anxiety that interfered with my sleep prior to school starting. However, after a miserable first day in which I completely questioned my ability to teach first grade, I could not sleep that night. I woke up at 2:17 a.m. with so much pressure in my chest. I finally fell back asleep only to be awakened by my alarm a short time later. Things are getting better, and thankfully it was only one night of poor sleep. I guess I used to get that exciting (almost childhood Christmas Eve-like excitement) rush before the school year began, but now it just is what it is. It takes a really bad day for me to have trouble sleeping anymore.

7. Emily Bronte

Emily Bronte Groupie

Aug 17, 2019

I have noticed this too and that it would have to take a really bad day for me to lose sleep at this point in my career. This was not the case during those early years.

bella84 and Tired Teacher like this.
  8. SpecialPreskoo

SpecialPreskoo Moderator

Aug 17, 2019

The dogs would get me up around 6:30 during the summer. I thought a 5:30 alarm wouldn't be bad for school... WRONG. I hate alarms.

Emily Bronte likes this.
  9. futuremathsprof

futuremathsprof Aficionado

Aug 17, 2019

I don’t get nervous before the school year starts. I’ve taught enough that I’ve established myself and pretty much know what works and doesn’t work. Each year is no different than the last in my eyes. Just different faces, that’s all.

10. runsw/scissors

runsw/scissors Phenom

Aug 19, 2019

Well, aside from that first week last night was the only other sleepless night so far. Fingers crossed it stays that way. I don't feel terribly nervous about the kids or how effective I'll be. It's more about the endless list of everything that needs to be done before I can even begin working with my groups. The first few weeks of the school year are spent assessing students, completing paperwork, and creating case loads and schedules. It doesn't feel overwhelming anymore. I just want to work with my kids!

11. YoungTeacherGuy

YoungTeacherGuy Phenom

Aug 19, 2019

I usually only have trouble sleeping the night before school starts. First day jitters, I guess.

The thing that frustrates me, though, is that I can't sleep in anymore. Once I hit 30, my internal clock starting working 7 days a week (LOL!!!) and I could no longer sleep until 11am or noon on the weekend.

Nowadays, I'm up and at 'em at 5am--regardless of the day of the week. Occasionally, if I want to live life on the edge, I'll lay in bed until 6!

MrsC likes this.
  12. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Aug 20, 2019

That's why I'm lying in bed, reading the forums before getting up. Its quarter to 6 and I've been awake for an hour. Snd I still have 2 weeks of summer left!

13. Aces

Aces Habitué

Aug 22, 2019

Y'all we're back in service — students came back yesterday (Wednesday) and everything so far has gone pretty decent. My P and I were sitting in his office attempting to eat lunch — key word here attempting — and this lady comes barging in like she owns something. She introduces herself to P and either doesn't realize I'm in there or just ignores me.

She tells us that her two sons are new to the school — one in 7th grade and one in 5th grade — which of course I knew this because 1) I saw her registering them and 2) I took them to their classes. And she goes "I'm just introducing myself because I am very active in the education of our two sons."

I didn't miss a beat, looked at her and replied "The pto had a whole list of volunteer positions they need for this year. I can definitely get you in touch with our PTO president. She's great. ". Woman looks at me, snarls, and goes "who are you?"

I introduced myself and she goes "Oh I don't speak to VP's I only deal with the Principal." I was so shocked because I didn't expect her to just go back to her conversation so I just was like okay sounding dumb.

14. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Aug 22, 2019

Sounds as though you're lucky she only deals with the P!

15. Backroads

Backroads Aficionado

Aug 22, 2019

And that is what the principal gets paid for.

16. Aces

Aces Habitué

Aug 22, 2019

I laughed afterwards. I just felt dumb founded!

17. whizkid

whizkid Cohort

Aug 24, 2019

I cannot believe I'm saying this........

My year has started off well. Wow. Did I just say that?

MrsC likes this.
  18. Missy

Missy Aficionado

Aug 24, 2019

Way to go!

19. Tired Teacher

Tired Teacher Comrade

Aug 25, 2019

Oh, man! We have our share of crazies too. This post kind of made me smile because it reminded me of a former "Parent of the Year" winner. :)