Here we go...

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by kcjo13, Jun 3, 2014.

1. kcjo13

kcjo13 Phenom

Jun 3, 2014

Heavy storms predicted for my area, starting any time now.

And...a car load of storm chasing meteorology students from Iowa State and U of Wisconsin just set up shop in my building's parking lot. One specializes in hurricanes, the others tornadoes.

Yay!

3. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Jun 3, 2014

Be safe, kc!! I know we've had some bad storms the past few weeks. Luckily no tornadoes. We've desperately needed the rain though...and could use some more.

4. DizneeTeachR

DizneeTeachR Virtuoso

Jun 3, 2014

WE had some heavy rain & windy conditions.... I know those are supposed to move this way tomorrow, but we are north of most. Stay safe!!!

5. kcjo13

kcjo13 Phenom

Jun 3, 2014

There's a Weather Channel guy sitting on the hill by my house...you can watch where they are at here. They have live streaming video too.

And all of the chasers were sitting at the gas station about 4 miles from my house!

6. ku_alum

ku_alum Aficionado

Jun 3, 2014

Yuck.
    I don't like seeing storm chasers. I met a crew on the highway Sunday; made me cringe. Tornados terrify me.

7. DizneeTeachR

DizneeTeachR Virtuoso

Jun 4, 2014

KC...how are ya this morning???

8. kcjo13

kcjo13 Phenom

Jun 4, 2014

We're good! It was quite a night. We had debris very close to our house. Then, my sister in Denver called, and was watching the storm chasers online (there is a website <tvnweather.com/live> where you can track the chasers and see their live feed). She was following one and realized they were sitting on my road! She could see my house through their live feed. So my husband jumped in the truck and went down to talk to them-they turned their camera around and put him on their live feed! His phone was blowing up with people watching. It was pretty cool-until the baseball sized hail hit. :(

9. txmomteacher2

txmomteacher2 Enthusiast

Jun 4, 2014

Those same guys were down in West Texas Memorial weekend. I went to the talk to them at the gas station. They were really great. I took pictures of their equipment and spent about a half hour just hanging out with them listening to how excited they all are about chasing storms. They filmed me just hanging out. Made me whole year. I have been waiting and waiting to see storm chasers in our area!

10. ku_alum

ku_alum Aficionado

Jun 4, 2014

Glad you are okay, KC!

11. DizneeTeachR

DizneeTeachR Virtuoso

Jun 4, 2014

KC..good to hear you're ok!! They showed the hail here. How cool for your hubby!!!

12. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Maven

Jun 4, 2014

They have high school graduation set up inside and outside due to storms. Should be interesting.

13. runsw/scissors

runsw/scissors Phenom

Jun 6, 2014

Looks like we may have another round of storms tomorrow. No hail though I hope. We got tons of rain the other night, but just north of here they had softball sized hail that blasted out cars' windows and shredded house siding. Some friends of ours had holes put in their roof by it. The severe weather is the one thing I hate about spring.