Here we go!!!

Discussion in 'General Education' started by YoungTeacherGuy, Aug 1, 2012.

1. YoungTeacherGuy

YoungTeacherGuy Phenom

Aug 1, 2012

I taught at the same elementary school from 2005-2009. Since then, I've taught at two other schools.

Anyway, I'm returning to the school where I began my teaching career: same classroom, same colleagues, same grade-level. However, today I went to the school to check out my classroom. It looks sooooooo incredibly different. The furniture (desks, tables, bookshelves) has changed, the arrangement is "off", and the room looks neglected (the tile floors are scratched, the walls have holes, and the desks are all different sizes). It's definitely in need of lots of TLC. I literally stood in the middle of the room for about twenty minutes thinking, "Okay--how am I going to makeover this space?"

My principal joked and said, "Yeah--I know it's not up to your standards right now, but I know you'll make it look wonderful!"

I've got lots of good ideas and I'm going to head back tomorrow at 7am to get started! I'm trying to be as optimistic as possible!

3. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Aug 1, 2012

Oh, I'm sorry that the room isn't like you remembered it, but I know that you will make it awesome!

4. Myrisophilist

Myrisophilist Habitué

Aug 1, 2012

Scratched floors -- do the custodians strip and wax the floors during the summer?
    Desks -- a screwdriver might help you readjust the height if they are those types of desks.
    Walls -- a little putty and paint? An easier alternative would be lots of bright posters, and eventually, your students' work. :) Good luck!

5. GAteacher87

GAteacher87 Companion

Aug 1, 2012

I like your attitude. :) I am finding that optimism and belief that you CAN do something really goes SO far with teaching!!

6. leighbball

leighbball Virtuoso

Aug 1, 2012

You can do it! Good luck...and I admire you for the 7am start time...I'm not a morning person, even with a toddler! :lol: Please post pics when you are done!!

7. cheeryteacher

cheeryteacher Enthusiast

Aug 2, 2012

I'm sure it will be wonderful when you are done! You might be at an advantage going back to the same room because you know where you want everything to be and how you want everything to look.

8. lbradley1718

lbradley1718 Comrade

Aug 2, 2012

Wow! Can'e believe you managed to get the same room! Make sure and take some before and after pics so we can see how well you transformed it! :)

9. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Aug 2, 2012

Get the custodians on your side..they may be able to wax the floors and patch/paint the walls.

Furniture can be arranged to create flow, centers, nooks. You could jazz the up a bit with paint or contact paper. See if the legs on the desks are adjustable...if not, group desks of similar heights into table arrangements.

A few pops of color on your BBs, baskets and bins...

Make it your own space...you're going to have a great year!

10. applecore

applecore Devotee

Aug 2, 2012

Very cool!

11. Ted

Ted Habitué

Aug 2, 2012

I hope you'll consider sharing before/after photographs with us! :)

12. CFClassroom

CFClassroom Connoisseur

Aug 2, 2012

Cover the walls with colorful twin bed sheets to hie flaws and brighten the space. It must feel good "to be home."

13. mopar

mopar Multitudinous

Aug 2, 2012

Good luck!

14. Emily Bronte

Emily Bronte Groupie

Aug 2, 2012

Post Pics!