Here in Houston

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by kaymurr, Sep 11, 2007.

1. kaymurr

kaymurr Rookie

Sep 11, 2007

This has been touched on in another post, but I'm wondering specifically, can anyone give me any tips for getting hired on permit in the Houston area? I've taught on permit before and this is WAY more competitive than I'm used to.:help: Has anyone just dressed up, taken some good resumes, and gone around talking to principals? I have a friend who got hired this way in Dallas. Some shot her down, others talked to her. But I don't know if it is pointless here because Dallas definitely has a higher need. And of all things I actually live in Katy ISD. Can I just say...YEAH, RIGHT!

3. bandnerdtx

bandnerdtx Aficionado

Sep 11, 2007

I think you can forget Katy ISD. Have you looked in to HISD? They have a huge need, as does Aldine, Alief and Spring Branch.

Don't be intimidated by those districts. Kids are kids. (And I can say that because I worked in two out of three of those districts.)

4. mstemple05

mstemple05 Cohort

Sep 11, 2007

What's ISD? And what's Katy ISD and HISD?

But to answer your question (i don't know if you meant specifically there in houston or not) i went yesterday circulating my resume to about 4 schools in person. I interviewed 2 places. I was offered a position at one. They tell you it helps because you can see the face and warm body behind the piece of paper.

5. bandnerdtx

bandnerdtx Aficionado

Sep 11, 2007

ISD = Independent School District.

Katy, Houston, Aldine, Alief, Spring Branch... all Independent School Districts.

6. Delfina

Delfina Rookie

Sep 11, 2007

I sent letters and my resume to every elementary school in Alief ISD, and all of the principals who responded back said that they were fully staffed and did not anticipate any openings, but would keep my resume on file.

I've also applied in Spring Branch, but have yet to hear anything back on that, although I have not tried e-mailing principals. Aldine is too far for me, so I haven't bothered with them.

For some reason, wherever I look there don't seem to be any openings. Or they're bilingual or special ed, neither of which I can do (because bilingual in Texas means Spanish - now, if they accepted Russian as my bilinguality, maybe I'd be a little better off.)

7. mstemple05

mstemple05 Cohort

Sep 11, 2007

o0o0o. thanks bandnerdtx!

8. bandnerdtx

bandnerdtx Aficionado

Sep 11, 2007

I just looked on HISD's website, and they have over 130 openings for teachers.

9. Delfina

Delfina Rookie

Sep 11, 2007

Actually, HISD had like 300 openings at the beginning of the week. They're finally closing down a lot of those "openings"... most of them aren't actually open. I've applied and called the principals on pretty much all of those "open" positions and discovered they aren't actually open.

10. bandnerdtx

bandnerdtx Aficionado

Sep 11, 2007

Don't you hate it when they play games like that? Either list what's really open or don't. Grrr.

11. kaymurr

kaymurr Rookie

Sep 12, 2007

Me too. One was posted an hour before I applied, and I got an email response from the principal that same afternoon saying they had NO openings. Why was it posted then?? Also HISD spans a WIDE area and even when there are a lot of openings, most of them are more than 30 miles from me. And taking I10 east while it's under construction...no way.

As for Spring Branch, I've wondered about them becuase they don't post specific openings. They've got a job description for just about everything posted and then say those reflect "actual or anticipated" vacancies. Somehow I doubt it.

And I feel I'm spreading my references really thin. I haven't worked in 4 years anyway so I'm pulling on old ones, and it's not like I can just get them to write one letter and then make copies. Every district has their own reference forms they want filled out and returned directly to them. That is SO irritating.

12. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Sep 12, 2007

I can't tell you how many times I would see a post for a position, emailed/called the principal just to find it had already been filled. Funny thing is I checked that morning, no post, afternoon, post, called, found out already filled. Why didn't I get called?!? That happened several times in one district, so I just wrote that district off.

13. kaymurr

kaymurr Rookie

Sep 12, 2007

Probably b/c they're filling first from the people who are subbing... I know that's why I should sub, but childcare is expensive and the income is unreliable.:unsure:

14. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Sep 12, 2007

That's exactly why I am subbing in the district I really want to work in. We're lucky in that we can still pay the bills with me subbing. We were lucky enough to find a friend willing to watch our daughter when I subbed.