Here come those bad dreams

Discussion in 'General Education' started by VANewbie, Jul 20, 2010.

1. VANewbie

VANewbie Devotee

Jul 20, 2010

People warned me that I would start having bad dreams during the summer.

I have had some horrible dreams.

Last night my dream was about the first day of school. My P was doing interviews for teachers that day so we have students from all grades in our classes because there were no teachers. Teachers were slipping in the halls on water and my class was HORRIBLE. They were crawling around and then this strange man came in and told me that two of my kids had to go home early. It was the morning of the first day!!!
    Then the guy gets on the floor and starts playing and crawling with my kids.
    I yelled so loud then I woke up!

Any dreams yet for you?

3. Lynnnn725

Lynnnn725 Connoisseur

Jul 20, 2010

Oh my!
    Luckily, my dreams have helped me. I was teaching writer's workshop and I had different components to my writing folder. I used to just have a plain folder. In my dream, each kid had a folder with a clear paper protector in the prongs. Inside the page protector was the alphabet linking chart and alphabet strokes. I woke up, wrote down what I did in my dreams and it is now on my to-do list in real life, lol.

4. VANewbie

VANewbie Devotee

Jul 20, 2010

That would be great if my dreams were like that.

5. MATgrad

MATgrad Groupie

Jul 20, 2010

I had a dream where my boss became my aide. It was very weird.

6. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Jul 20, 2010

I seldom have-- or remember, at least-- work dreams. Unless there's a crisis at work (say, we've lost a kid to illness or accident.)

7. heymiss

heymiss Comrade

Jul 20, 2010

I haven't had any this summer, but during the school year, I had school dreams frequently.

Once, I dreamed that we got a new kid named Omar. We already had two Omars in real life, and the next week, we got a new kid....named Omar. :)

8. VANewbie

VANewbie Devotee

Jul 20, 2010

Now thats funny!!! lol

9. trayums

trayums Enthusiast

Jul 20, 2010

I had my ever present in the summer nightmare the other night... First day of school and I have NO idea what grade I am teaching or where my classroom is. I try asking people what grade I am in and they won't talk to me. It doesn't sound scary when I write it but I do wake up sweating. I think this comes from the years and years of movement and no knowing what grade I was going to teach until the second week of August! Blech!!!!
    I wish I had those helpful dreams like Lynnn!

10. monsieurteacher

monsieurteacher Aficionado

Jul 20, 2010

I had a dream the night before the last day of school this past year.

I dreamt that I saw our former custodian down the hall outside of a teammate's classroom, on the last day of school. I went to give her a hug, and say how much we missed her, and as I hugged her, she whispered in my ear that a TA from our school was dead. :eek:

The next day, I was cleaning out my classroom on the last day of school while the kids were busy with some activity... when I saw the former custodian, in the EXACT same place I dreamed about the night before. I ran up to give her a hug, and then freaked out (inside my head)... luckily she didn't say that this TA was dead, but I was overjoyed to see this TA in the staffroom happily putting dishes away! Now that was a horrible dream!

11. UVAgrl928

UVAgrl928 Habitué

Jul 20, 2010

Haha, yes, my dreams about school are always totally crazy! Last year about a week before school started, I dreamt about the first day of school. My P walked in and gave me my roster, and SURPRISE! It was my whole class from the previous year... again!

12. VANewbie

VANewbie Devotee

Jul 20, 2010

I wonder why this happens? I never had these dreams during the year.

13. Teacher_Lyn

Teacher_Lyn Companion

Jul 20, 2010

i'm sorry about the dreams! i rarely have them during the year either. i'm not sure why -- maybe the unknown makes us more anxious than the known?

this is my fourth year teaching and the first time that i have started having them over the summer. it's pretty horrible. i am always dreaming nutty stuff like it turns out i didn't really past a grade, so I get sent back to either elementary or high school (never middle school oddly enough) or I'm standing in front of the class and I have no idea what I am teaching.

The worse has been dreaming about teaching a class of unruly kids of ALL ages. 12th, 1st, 7th and 3rd graders all in one classroom not listening to me. It's horrible.

14. Aussiegirl

Aussiegirl Habitué

Jul 20, 2010

I have the same dream!:eek:hmy: I've had one every year so far. They are really scary when I don't understand the work, and I almost always go back to my elementary school - it was grades 1 to 8.

15. Noel

Noel Companion

Jul 20, 2010

I would love to have dreams...but I can't SLEEP. For the past week or so I can't fall asleep. I just keep thinking about all of the stuff I need to do to prep for school and I just can't sleep.

16. webmistress

webmistress Devotee

Jul 20, 2010

When I taught, it actually went beyond a dream. One time I actually was sleepwalking in full teacher mode at it was 3am :eek: It even woke my husband up. :eek: It was the weirdest thing ever and had never happened before.

17. Southern JC

Southern JC Companion

Jul 21, 2010

I usually blame my crazy dreams on staying up too late or eating something I should not have before bed. However, I had a dream at the beginning of the last school year that I'm glad I paid attention to. I dreamt that, without warning, my P brought in someone from the state department to evaluate my teaching. I was teaching my class when suddenly the P knocked on the door. I opened it and there stood a seven-foot tall, strange man with a briefcase in hand. They both sat in the back of the classroom as I continued to teach the class. Afterwards, I was called into the P's office for the report. The stranger notified me that I would no longer be able to teach because everything I did was wrong! I began trying to explain my methods and strategies, but he kept interrupting me. I became so furious that I hit the guy! Before I knew it, a full-fledge fight had broken out (this guy was actually fighting me back!). The P broke us up and told me to leave campus. I was so embarrassed that I never left my house again.

The next morning, I had forgotten about the dream until in the middle of class, a I heard a knock at the door. My heart started pounding when I saw the P at the door with a strange man! No, he wasn't seven-feet tall. He was actually shorter than me, and he greeted me with a smile. My P introduced him and asked if they could sit in! Of course I said yes and continued teaching. Everything was going fine until one student said something to the other and before I could intervene, they were in each other's faces ready to fight! I completely forgot that the P or this stranger was in the back of the class. I quickly separated the two students and rectified the situation. Just as in my dream, I was called into the P's office during my planning period but instead of being fired, I was giving a highly-praised report by both observers.

Nothing to this degree has happened since, but I understood the dream afterwards: I needed to always be prepared for even the unexpected; I did not need to fear anyone (I just needed to stay confident in my ability to teach); and always needed to have control of my class despise the situation.

18. Southern JC

Southern JC Companion

Jul 21, 2010

I can relate to you on this one. I have learned that if I just do something to prep for the upcoming year, I sleep better. It doesn't have to be anything extensive; it works for simple preps like organizing folders, computer files, or throwing away things I don't need.

19. queenie

queenie Groupie

Jul 21, 2010

I haven't had any school dreams yet, but last night I dreamed a bunch of people were lined up- mostly seated- on a bridge (including me) trying to keep away from the speeding traffic and trying to decide what to do with their purses, etc. when it was their turn to parasail! It was cold and we all had coats on, but were waiting to parasail...lol

20. Southern JC

Southern JC Companion

Jul 21, 2010

Just curious. Are you about to "leap" into something new? Making a decision that you're not sure about? :blush:

21. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Jul 21, 2010

I don't dream. Or, at least, I don't remember them. Ever.

I am always undecided on whether I am missing out or lucky.

22. Marci07

Marci07 Devotee

Jul 24, 2010

I just woke up from a dream. The P from the new school where I'm going to be teaching is still working the schedule and I may be teaching more grades and even subjects than I was originally hired for. I was hired to teach 8th grade math only.

In my dream, our elementary school is combined with a high school and the head of the math department gives me my schedule. It is handwritten and I can barely tell what the last periods are but for what I can see, I'm teaching 3 grade levels and about 3 different subjects in a departmental setting. 2 of those classes I never heard about.

23. Teaching Grace

Teaching Grace Connoisseur

Jul 24, 2010

I'm happy to say that I've only had one bad dream this summer. It was weeks and weeks ago.. luckily I don't even remember what it was about! :)

24. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Jul 24, 2010

Last night I had my first school-related bad dream of the "season". I did a lot of screaming at the rude students...it was complete chaos.

25. msmullenjr

msmullenjr Devotee

Jul 24, 2010

Last week I had my first dream of the summer. I just finished setting up my classroom, everything was perfect so I went out to get my class. After I had them lined up, I couldn't find my room. Each door I went to, had a class in it. My students were giggling under their breath because I couldn't find my own room.

Finally the P found me and told me that they had to move me to the other side of the school. The school layout then turned into my old high school which needless to say was quite a bit larger than my current school. When I got there, all of my stuff was all over the floor in a huge mess. Borders were ripped and things were broken.

BTW I would have murdered someone in real life.

26. Ms.Jasztal

Ms.Jasztal Maven

Jul 24, 2010

I've had last year's students show up in random dreams, but only one odd dream has occurred this summer- two nights ago, which means my mind is beginning to activate. In the dream, we were getting back results from the Florida Writes, and I realized I had stockpiled a bunch of stuff around the room. It was a strange room, but that's besides the point. I was holding the results and somehow found the pile. Deep within the pile was a folder that had three prompts in it written by kids that had never been turned in. I began sweating and feeling quite sick... and that was it. I actually had a dream similar to it around the time of Florida Writes. The students drew pictures all over the page instead of wrote. I told the school's testing coordinator, and she found it humorous.

I've had some NIGHTMARES in the past involving future students. I wonder when those will begin... LOL.

27. queenie

queenie Groupie

Jul 24, 2010

You know, I thought about that, but I can't think of anything it would apply to. This will be my third year teaching the same grade in the same classroom! :confused:

Maybe I'm just waiting to spread my wings and fly- to do what I know I'm meant to do (teaching) rather than sitting around killing time all summer long :whistle: That would be weird, though, because in my AWAKE life, I love love love summertime and getting to take a break from school!!

It does seem like the dream is full of "signs," though, as my mom would put it! A bridge...hanging on to my purse...sitting on the edge of the road trying to dodge fast-moving traffic...waiting...waiting to parasail...lol

28. queenie

queenie Groupie

Jul 24, 2010

But then again, and I just thought of this...I'm going to be a grandma for the first time come December! :p

29. queenie

queenie Groupie

Jul 24, 2010

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

30. Teacher_Lyn

Teacher_Lyn Companion

Jul 24, 2010

freaky isn't it? I feel better knowing I'm not the only one, but still, it stinks.

31. monsieurteacher

monsieurteacher Aficionado

Jul 27, 2010

I had a dream last night that it was the first day, and I kept having to leave the room to go get stuff... parents were arriving with their children, and I wouldn't be in the room... I was completely unprepared, and I don't think parents were all that happy.

I asked one student if he was excited to have me as a teacher again, and he just said "no" and started crying!