Here’s how I would fix urban public schools

Discussion in 'General Education' started by AlwaysAttend, Dec 16, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 2ndTimeAround

2ndTimeAround Phenom

Dec 22, 2017

It is such a shame that you believe this. And that you encourage young people to fear and distrust the adults that try to help them in their schools.

I do have great rapport with some of my black students. Not all. Just like I do and don't with my white students. My Native American students. My Asian and Hispanic students.

a2z likes this.
  2. 2ndTimeAround

2ndTimeAround Phenom

Dec 22, 2017

On at least two or three (shoddy statistical analysis, mind you. Is it two or is it three?) of SEVEN categories??? What about the other 4 or 5 categories??

a2z and futuremathsprof like this.
  3. webmistress

webmistress Devotee

Dec 22, 2017

Okay so you're okay with placing convenience over quality of life. Lots of people are. That's the way to survival, that's the corporate way-deforestation, pollutants and all types of other ways the planet is being harmed. As long as money is earned, then some people are okay with the horrific effects on the ecosystem, and people.
    So thus, why should there even be any concern to fix urban schools, when you support the very systems that contributed to the destruction of these communities?

The Role of Highways in American Poverty
    Quote: "The completion of I-81 had the same effect it has had in almost all cities that put interstates through their hearts. It decimated a close-knit African American community."
    Complete article:

https://www.theatlantic.com/business/archive/2016/03/role-of-highways-in-american-poverty/474282/

The article and others like it are stating how thriving Black communities have been torn apart by highways (among many many other things I don't have 24 hours a day to sit here any post links). So the horrible effects you and others are seeing in your classroom is in a sense, an effect of Black communities continuously being displaced and kicked out of their homes. That's one thing of many many things...

However, you appear to support having villages destroyed to build parks, and having people forced out of their homes, so thus, you hold responsibility for the negative consequences of those actions.

4. webmistress

webmistress Devotee

Dec 22, 2017

Here's a quote to respond to. What are your thoughts?

"Of course, there were people who couldn’t move to the suburbs. African Americans were denied home loans by the federal government in certain areas, a practice called redlining. Restrictive covenants prevented homeowners from selling to certain types of people, often including African Americans. And they were also denied jobs and other opportunities that would have allowed them to afford to buy a home in the first place."

https://www.theatlantic.com/business/archive/2016/03/role-of-highways-in-american-poverty/474282/

5. AlwaysAttend

AlwaysAttend Fanatic

Dec 22, 2017

I knew you were going to go there, that’s why I included the terrible effect stop and go traffic would have on the community. You’d be giving an entire generation of black children asthma! Are you ok with poisoning black children? I’m not! We should actually shut down the port to avoid the trucks driving through the neighborhoods all together probably. No point in making money, our quality of life is far more important than being able to pay for anything while we are alive.

a2z likes this.
  6. AlwaysAttend

AlwaysAttend Fanatic

Dec 22, 2017

Why would you want them to live out in the burbs with the white folks? They will corrupt their minds, prevent them from believing in themselves, and probably give them smallpox too.

7. webmistress

webmistress Devotee

Dec 22, 2017

They are already being poisoned. I already posted links about the pollutants and toxic waste sites are often near poor Black areas.

I'm certain you know about the Flint water crisis, in which kids have died, and many have permanent brain damage.

[​IMG]

Lead poisoning in inner city kids is well documented.

"After growing up poor in a predominantly African-American neighborhood of Cincinnati, the young adults had reached their early 20s. One by one, they passed through an MRI machine that displayed their brains in sharp, cross-sectioned images.

For those who had been exposed to lead as toddlers, even in small amounts, the scans revealed changes that were subtle, permanent and devastating.

The toxic metal had robbed them of gray matter in the parts of the brain that enable people to pay attention, regulate emotions and control impulses. Lead also had scrambled the production of white matter that transmits signals between different parts of the brain, largely by mimicking calcium, an element that plays a critical role in brain development."

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/ct-lead-poisoning-science-met-20150605-story.html

8. AlwaysAttend

AlwaysAttend Fanatic

Dec 22, 2017

You get that lead was in the houses when white people lived there too right? No one snuck in and put it there when no one was looking. Same with asbestos. They used these things as building materials for a reason. Then they discovered the danger and people stopped using it. Of course it didn’t suddenly disappear.

futuremathsprof and a2z like this.
  9. AlwaysAttend

AlwaysAttend Fanatic

Dec 22, 2017

As for flint, you act as if it was targeting a population when in reality it was targeting a region. You know who else was effected? General Motors, one of the biggest auto manufacturers in the world. The water was actually coroding auto parts. Do you think they’d intentionally damage a golden goose when they have so few? Unless you are thinking they intentionally ruin GM so no jobs are available and people become poorer.

futuremathsprof and a2z like this.
  10. webmistress

webmistress Devotee

Dec 22, 2017

You can't fix what you won't acknowledge. Are you reading the articles?

11. AlwaysAttend

AlwaysAttend Fanatic

Dec 22, 2017

Not even a little. Using background knowledge.

12. webmistress

webmistress Devotee

Dec 22, 2017

AA, I didn't even have a problem with your initial ideas. I don't see anything wrong with those ideas in the initial post because as much as I would prefer going back to the old village days, and the old schoolhouse days of real neighborhood schools where the people in the schools were like a family as they all knew and lived by each other....those old days are gone.

I support the Black Homeschool movement, and many are choosing to homeschool, that is great & what we need, but we know that the majority of kids will still have to attend public school.

You want to fix a broken system. I want to tear that system completely down and rebuild it on a foundation of "equality, liberty and justice for all."

All I was saying was that race cannot continue to be ignored.
    You all can't discuss Black kid test scores and behavioral issues, without discussing, well, Black kids and Blackness itself. And frankly that's a topic that terrifies far too many white (and other race) people.
    Black kids are not the ones who need fixing. The adults do, adults of all races. The kids are out of control because the system is corrupt, evil and dysfunctional to the core.

Can evil really be fixed? ((And before anyone gets offended, I am not talking about individual people and educators, I am talking about the system.))
    -------
    Let's look at what works. Ron Clark's school works. This is what educating Black kids should look like. It doesn't matter what race the school leader is, if they have a school like Ron's it would work.
    ----------

As he said on FB yesterday,

Ron Clark added 7 new photos.
    Yesterday at 6:32pm ·
    We just spent 6 hours in the National Museum of African American History & Culture and we barely scratched the surface. If every American would visit this phenomenal museum then possibly the blanket of ignorance that so many are living under could be unveiled. Unless everyone has freedom, no one of us is really free. Unless you seek to learn of those who are different from you, you will never truly understand yourself. I beg of everyone, look for opportunities to have your eyes opened. Yearn for tolerance, understanding and acceptance. Place yourself on a path of awareness where your goal is to acquire knowledge and be a better person. When you find yourself saying things like, “I hate...” or “I don’t like...” or “I don’t understand...” please realize that those are moments where you may desperately need personal growth.

13. AlwaysAttend

AlwaysAttend Fanatic

Dec 23, 2017

Just out of curiosity, what does a black kid test question look like? How about black kid behavior?

Also, I feel like you should say this part in the mirror:

Unless you seek to learn of those who are different from you, you will never truly understand yourself.Ibeg of everyone, look for opportunities to have your eyes opened. Yearn for tolerance, understanding and acceptance. Place yourself on a path of awareness where your goal is to acquire knowledge and be a better person. When you find yourself saying things like, “I hate...” or “I don’t like...” or “I don’t understand...” please realize that those are moments where you may desperately need personal growth.

14. webmistress

webmistress Devotee

Dec 23, 2017

That's not acceptable. This topic is not supposed to be about your personal background knowledge but about examining the historical academic literature on race and intelligence dating back to the 1600s and then seeing how that historical foundation affects society today.

15. AlwaysAttend

AlwaysAttend Fanatic

Dec 23, 2017

The topic is not dictated by your nonsensical whims. You don’t even acknowledge anything that doesn’t fit in your tiny close minded box. You simply pivot to your next prepackaged argument. I imagine you do this in person as well.

For example, you start the lead argument without acknowledging that the lead was there since it was installed be it in pipes or housing paint, etc. for the last hundred years. It was just the building material of the time. No one broke into these places and put it there to harm the black community. In fact you don’t want the black community to move out to parts of the suburbs where the builds were done after lead and asbestos and all these things were outlawed. So in reality you want black people permanently subjected to these issues. Or actually it seems like you also want them to get together save up all their money and change it themselves as part of their own community.

There is no context presented in your arguments outside your narrow scope of thinking. One day one of your kids is going to record the nutty things you say, you’ll end up on YouTube, then the local news, then your program will come to an end.

Last edited: Dec 23, 2017
  16. GTB4GT

GTB4GT Cohort

Dec 23, 2017

It has been my experience that people with hateful or racist attitudes don't associate with those whom they dislike or fear. And, when they are forced to be around them, they are adept at concealing their true feelings. Hate and racism and things of that sort don't operate in the light. Only in anonymity or where others with similar attitudes congregate.

futuremathsprof and AlwaysAttend like this.
  17. a2z

a2z Maven

Dec 23, 2017

You have ignored direct questions from me. As AA said, you just pivot to the next talking point.

I will ask one more time, what is black about destroying property within 5 years that was in perfect working order and brand spanking new? See, I don't see this as a black problem, I see it as a character problem regardless of color. I would be equally as disgusted if a white, asian, hispanic, or native american family did the same.

I think AA had great questions for you to answer. What does black behavior look like, especially behavior that will lead them to be successful?

futuremathsprof likes this.
  18. 2ndTimeAround

2ndTimeAround Phenom

Dec 23, 2017

webmistress, one of the links you provided (or a link I followed from there) mentioned that schools expect black boys to act like white girls and that is why they end up being suspended at a higher rate. What does that mean?

19. webmistress

webmistress Devotee

Dec 25, 2017

That's the article's way of saying many people have racist stereotypical expectations of students. There's really no "white girl" way to act, unless it's the one that society has created, a so-called superior behavior is expected based on skin color. The theories date back to the 1600's, or maybe primarily I am seeing more that they started in the 1700s.
    Here's a list of the the classical thinkers, scholars, scientists, philosophers, biologists & so on who promoted putting people in 'race' categories based on phenotypes and then assigning each race a specific level of intelligence, behavior and beauty.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scientific_racism

(From Charles Darwin to Immaunel Kant to Carlos Linneaus).
    Those theories have never been challenged and are in fact, still widely believed. In my experience, hardly anyone is completely comfortable with admitting that somewhere deep inside, they do believe in the theories. If you're not placed at the bottom of the hierarchy, then you (in general) can go through life without having to think about such theories, you in general, accept that those at the bottom must be deserving of it, whereas we know the genius we're made of, so I had to learn for myself how this hierarchy began.

20. webmistress

webmistress Devotee

Dec 25, 2017

How does hate and racism not operate in the light? Did you not see Charlottesville? There is too much Googling you can do and videos you can watch to see hate and racism operating in the light. If you're not the target, it's easy to pretend that it's not that there...but the hatred is very much there. Daily. Ask a black student.

Black students across the nation are having to protest their racist schools
    http://www.reporternewspapers.net/2017/12/18/students-protest-racism-dunwoody-high-school/
    Where have some of you been?

Lynchings during Jim Crow were public for a reason, and the modern day lynchings are again, public for all to see.

As for hateful people not hanging around those they hate, that's not true. Dylan Roof had Black friends and he still walked into a church and murdered 9 Black people, after sitting with them for an entire hour. He told them they were nice people before he killed them, but he said he had to do it. (And he did it based on racial stereotypes, going back to the scholars in the link I posted above).

Kids of all races hang out together, and interracial marriages are the norm, mixed neighborhoods are the norm, however, those racist theories that I keep bringing back up, still remain.
    And those are just facts that people need to stop denying and stop being so uncomfortable with.

Last edited: Dec 25, 2017
  21. webmistress

webmistress Devotee

Dec 25, 2017

Super excellent information here. A lot to read through and educate yourselves on, for those who don't understand racism. From NEA

http://educationvotes.nea.org/neaedjustice/social-justice-issues/racial-justice/

I have an idea, how about someone see about holding a TownHall meeting in your schools for students to discuss their issues like here. Get insight from the students about how their schools can be improved.

Racism sucks – students of color give educators an earful
    “After hearing the students’ stories, educator after educator thanked us for opening their eyes,” says Scurlock. “One teary-eyed teacher told me she had no idea this is what kids of color were going through. Taking the time to listen to the students was an undeniable reminder to everyone in the room that we have a lot of work to do.”
    http://educationvotes.nea.org/2017/06/27/racism-sucks-students-color-give-educators-earful/

Peregrin5 likes this.
  22. a2z

a2z Maven

Dec 26, 2017

That was just vague talking points with no real examples.

I would like to turn the ending of the video around on you. Could it be that your mission is clouding your judgement about how widespread racism really is and that many things that are going on is not a factor of racism but something else?

Zero tolerance? Really? I know majority white schools with zero tolerance. How could that be if it is a racist way of dealing with students? Stupid idea for dealing with students in general, but it isn't racist just because it happens in a black school because it happens many places. It is a failed educational policy which there are many.

The more you post, the more I feel you are looking to find racism even where there is not. This last video nails it for me.

What I notice in my very ethnically and racially diverse school is that the kids generally get along and work together in classes, but on their own time, they tend to group based on culture interests and lines which is a very normal behavior. The cafeteria is grouped by categories in many cases, but it is by choice. However there are events everyone hangs out together and is happy to do so.

I think some of what you want to define as racism is just normal human nature. If you want people not segregating themselves, the only way to do so is remove all aspects of varied ethnic and cultural norms which is counter intuitive to what you propose.

You will never find me sitting at lunch with a socially aggressive, in your face person regardless of color unless I have to. However, if that is how the majority of a group acts, I will be avoiding the group. It won't be because of the skin color, but it will be because of the attitude. This attitude is in every ethnicity and race, but there are times that the behavior clusters due to social pressure not some inherent nature in the race. I've seen groups of people who are white behaving this way and people who are of other cultures and races behaving this way.

Last edited: Dec 26, 2017
  23. AlwaysAttend

AlwaysAttend Fanatic

Dec 26, 2017

I say it’s about time to shut this thread down mods.

24. futuremathsprof

futuremathsprof Aficionado

Dec 26, 2017

Agreed. This PC person can only see in black and white and thinks EVERYTHING is racist. She actually is racially confused.

nstructor likes this.
  25. AlwaysAttend

AlwaysAttend Fanatic

Dec 26, 2017

I actually meant because it’s taken on a racial component that I never intended. I just wanted to discuss ways that the education system can give every child the fairest shake possible knowing every life isn’t the same.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.