Here’s how I would fix urban public schools

Discussion in 'General Education' started by AlwaysAttend, Dec 16, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. AlwaysAttend

AlwaysAttend Fanatic

Dec 22, 2017

Just out of curiosity, am I number 2 or 3? Lol

2. webmistress

webmistress Devotee

Dec 22, 2017

And why would there be lower expectations? Here's an excerpt from the same article:

"Black children are also more likely to have emotionally traumatic experiences impacting their childhood, such as abuse or neglect, the death of a parent or witnessing domestic violence. The child maltreatment rate (which signifies abuse or neglect of a child) was 14.2 per 1,000 black children and 8 per 1,000 for white children. More black high school students say they have been raped. Black youth at all age levels are more likely to be victims of violent crimes."

And what do you think happens when Black victims of crime ask for help or report it? I'm a Black woman, if someone attacks me, do you think the police will help me? Maybe they will, maybe they won't. But I expect them not to.
    I don't expect police to help me one bit, not even if I was on my last breath. Those are my low expectations.
    I also don't expect most doctors to give me adequate health care on the level they would a white person. So this is what should be meant by 'lower expectations.'

So thus, if Black people can't call anyone for help, like white people can, then that allows criminals to continue to abuse Black women and children because the criminals know that in general, police officers, judges, lawyers etc are not going to care one bit about a Black child being abused!

So tell me, what is the answer to that problem? So indeed, if Black people realize at an early age that they can't have basic protection, then why would they believe in an education system, or medical system or anything run by whites?

So yes in these 'urban' schools you have most of the poor Black kids being victims of some type of atrocity at the hands of an adult, and they have no one to help them. These kids are dealing with all types of trauma and mental illness, and Post Traumatic Stress Disorder.

They know at early ages that any authority figure works within a system that will consider them the enemy, and not the victim. So they don't get the much needed help that white kids get...
    Do you think Black child abuse victims deserve help and protection?
    Or are their low test scores the focus?

The article is bull though regarding the 'self fulfilling prophecy' when there are enough graves being filled from the exact things expected.

Last edited: Dec 22, 2017
    AmyMyNamey likes this.
  3. AlwaysAttend

AlwaysAttend Fanatic

Dec 22, 2017

If people moved in and bought up the abandoned buildings, wouldn’t you just call it an attempt to gentrify and push out the black community?

4. AlwaysAttend

AlwaysAttend Fanatic

Dec 22, 2017

I know I tried like hell to work in an urban school and I had awesome test scores. I am a male also which I figured would help. I couldn’t even get interviews haha. In NJ, they pay some of the highest salaries and they become patronidge mills. I’ve been hired by wealthy and middle class places instead. When I got to pick internships locations, I always went urban.

5. AlwaysAttend

AlwaysAttend Fanatic

Dec 22, 2017

I’m honestly not sure it worked lol. I was honestly just recommending this very little know show that was interesting lol.

6. webmistress

webmistress Devotee

Dec 22, 2017

what do you call it?

7. a2z

a2z Maven

Dec 22, 2017

Well, it would be called gentrification if anyone bought because gentrification is about pulling a poverty ridden neighborhood up to a middle class area. It would be gentrification regardless of the color of the skin of the buyers.

The question for webmistress is how you would categorize black people for doing so since it would price out the poor black residents. Would you have the same disdain for them as you would for someone who was white since they, too, are hurting black people who live in poverty?

futuremathsprof likes this.
  8. AlwaysAttend

AlwaysAttend Fanatic

Dec 22, 2017

You were complaining about abandoned buildings. The solution is to have investors buy, renovate, and get them back on the tax roll. But I don’t think you’d like this solution as it would lead to gentrification. So what is your solution to the problem? Bulldoze and turn into a garden to rectify the fresh food desert? Where does the money come from to maintain and supplement the tax rolls if you do this to every abandoned property.

a2z likes this.
  9. webmistress

webmistress Devotee

Dec 22, 2017

And it's not individuals moving in, it's corporations, backed up by politicians/the government. They start filling in the man eating pot holes they refused to. They start bringing up real grocery stores. They improve the public service things like the water, air quality, emergency responses etc.

The government holds the resources to make it possible for said groups to move in & politicians back the increase in rent or increase in property taxes which causes even people living in paid off homes to be forced to move.
    It's not like some people just get together and buy up abandoned buildings and make a neighborhood "pretty" and safe.

Look at how Central Park was created, by taking land from oppressed people. These are the recurring themes for this country.

"IN today's world, it is hard to imagine even a progress-minded city administration evicting a well-established minority community after arbitrarily paying its residents for their possessions. But that's how Central Park was made, with most newspapers cheering the removal of ''the insects.''

All that was left behind were cemeteries, and these, too, were soon so forgotten that nobody knows whether the bodies were ever removed. Making a great park, like making an omelet, involves a few broken shells.

The biggest shell was called Seneca Village, which in the 19th century was one of the principal black settlements in New York City. At the time of its destruction in 1855, it had 264 residents, three churches, two schools and three cemeteries. Just a few blocks from where Seneca Village stood, the New-York Historical Society opened an exhibition this week of what is known about the settlement.

''Before Central Park: The Life and Death of Seneca Village'' is an understated but piercingly emotional show. You hear voices repeating long-ago words suggesting that the park was being built mainly to benefit real estate tycoons."

http://www.nytimes.com/1997/01/31/arts/a-village-dies-a-park-is-born.html

10. AlwaysAttend

AlwaysAttend Fanatic

Dec 22, 2017

Can we go back to my question? Would you rather they remain vacant, or be purchased as part of a path toward gentrification? Habitat for Humanity and church groups can only rehab so many houses to give away.

a2z likes this.
  11. webmistress

webmistress Devotee

Dec 22, 2017

Abandoned buildings was but one simple example because I don't have 24/7 to 'teach' about these issues.

"Clearly, policy makers are unmoved by the suffering of communities of color thanks to the expose of environmental hazards and toxins. Thankfully, the environmental justice movement is a very popular grassroots effort among activists from all walks of life. We tend to think of environmental racism only harming people, but it also harms the fragile ecosystems that are already threatened by industrialization and land-use change, so members of the environmental movement are very interested in waste management as well.
    The best way to combat a problem is to get in on the ground floor with a grassroots movement. If you are more of a hands on person who likes to be out in the streets marching for the environmental rights of our low-income communities of color, The Environmental Justice and Climate Initiative is the first place you need to look. This is an international organization that works in solidarity with federal, state, local and international environmental justice movements from the grassroots level through lobbying and policy making. They are the best resource to find local movements that deal directly with communities facing environmental racism right now (The Environmental Justice and Climate Initiative 2014)."

https://sites.google.com/a/owu.edu/...-is-being-done-to-combat-environmental-racism

12. futuremathsprof

futuremathsprof Aficionado

Dec 22, 2017

Your posts are filled with non-sequitors and straw man arguments. Take a basic logic course, please.

Test scores are separated by race to make comparisons across people-groups. That’s the whole purpose of compiling the data in the first place! Why do you think the US Census Bureau separates the data it collects by gender, for example? What applies to a man does not necessarily apply to a woman, and vice versa. Also, men and women think differently. Here is an example to demonstrate my point: Men and women react differently to prescription medications due to the difference in hormone levels. This is just one reason for why people are separated into various groups.

You have a serious misunderstanding of statistics. Please take some statistics courses to better your understanding.

Finally, if you are not successful at something, then you are a failure at that thing. So... If students are not succeeding, then they are...?

Are you seriously saying that urban schools are, by and large, successful? What metrics are you using to measure success here? The abysmally low graduation rates, the poor literacy rates, the high teenage pregnancy rates, etc?

a2z likes this.
  13. GTB4GT

GTB4GT Cohort

Dec 22, 2017

this thread has jumped the shark. Here's my 2 cents. I have taught at 2 schools at either end of the socioeconomic spectrum. Both schools afforded opportunities to get good to excellent educations and allow students to achieve success at the next level.At the upper tier colleges and universities.

Conversely, I have seen people do little to nothing and leave with the most rudimentary education possible due to the NCLB mindset. What differentiated one student from the other? Simple, it is their home life. If a child has parents who push him or her, they will bloom where they are planted. I don't think our issues lie within the school system per se. (Again, I have only seen 2 schools in my career as an educator.) Parents have to believe that education is important first and foremost. If they don't, you can have all the money in the world poured into the school...and nothing much changes.

2ndTimeAround likes this.
  14. AlwaysAttend

AlwaysAttend Fanatic

Dec 22, 2017

You really need to stop quoting random things. I hope your classroom teaching is more focused.

a2z and futuremathsprof like this.
  15. webmistress

webmistress Devotee

Dec 22, 2017

My answer should be evident. I believe Black people should be able to be in charge and rebuild our own communities without the inteference of a racist government. Central Park, did you read about that?
    There's more...read about Chicago, Detroit, Baltimore etc.
    Black people need to get it together and build their own African-centered schools, on their own land. We once had incredibily thriving and safe communities, contrary to what you may believe. And what you need to do is research what happened to all of those successful, thriving safe and beautiful all Black communities. Who and what came in destroyed the foundation?

Now indeed, Black people are not helpless, it's just a million more obstacles to overcome. And it's easy to give up, but who can compete with the world's strongest government.
    We need more Black banks, we need our own African centered schools completely different from public schools, and we need to build our own neighborhoods and self-govern. We need our own hospitals, and so on.

But our population numbers are not high enough to pull those things off. And many Black people don't have the confidence because they are so beaten down by racism, they believe the racism and internalize it. No self esteem.
    At only 12% of the population, it is easy for the government to come in and do whatever it wants, so we don't have the economic power. But that is what we should do, strive to be economically and educationally separate from general white society that hates us so much.

Is that answer good enough for you?

16. webmistress

webmistress Devotee

Dec 22, 2017

Good luck with nurturing and supporting your Black students :) Let me know how successful you are at that & how much your students will respect you. I have the ability to reach them and gain rapport with them, you do not and have not.

17. futuremathsprof

Dec 22, 2017

Wow, just incoherent and nonsensical. You, yourself, are racist because of your desire to segregate schools. It’s obvious that you have a disdain for white people.

a2z and webmistress like this.
  18. webmistress

webmistress Devotee

Dec 22, 2017

Digest on this & talk to your students more. (Futuremathprof and AlwaysAttend.)

Study Finds Students Of All Races Prefer Teachers Of Color
    "Cherng and Halpin found that all the students, including white students, had significantly more favorable perceptions of Latino versus white teachers across the board, and had significantly more favorable perceptions of black versus white teachers on at least two or three of seven categories in the survey.

The strongest positive relationship was the flipside of what Cherng experienced in his own classroom: Asian-American students had very rosy views of their black teachers.

The relationship persisted after controlling for students' age, gender, their free and reduced-price lunch status and their academic performance. The researchers also controlled for other factors like the teacher's level of experience and education, their gender, and even outside expert ratings of the teachers' effectiveness, based on classroom observations.

No matter what, students had warmer perceptions of their teachers of color."

https://www.npr.org/sections/ed/201...tudents-of-all-races-prefer-teachers-of-color

19. GTB4GT

GTB4GT Cohort

Dec 22, 2017

please tell me that you do not teach our young people. Unfortunately, they are so easily influenced by adults.

a2z, futuremathsprof and webmistress like this.
  20. webmistress

webmistress Devotee

Dec 22, 2017

What does this statement have to do with anything? Despite the juvenile insults from you, AlwaysAttend and futuremathprof, neither of you have adequately challenged not a single source or piece of information posted.

If you are truly concerned about fixing urban schools, then your focus should not be on me, but on the evidence, the facts, the history that affects your Black students.

So exactly what are you guys doing to fix the situation? What success have you had? What is the student and parent response to your techniques?

21. futuremathsprof

Dec 22, 2017

Just so you know, I’m European, Sub-Saharan African, Native-American, South Asian, and East Asian. I am more multicultural that you are, most likely. Try again.

22. webmistress

webmistress Devotee

Dec 22, 2017

You probably wouldn't be in the preferred group, because your mindset is 100% white supremacist. But again, how have you earned rapport and respect from Black students and parents? Do they think highly of you? That's all that should matter.

23. futuremathsprof

Dec 22, 2017

We actually have proposed several solutions. YOU just choose to ignore them because you feel your opinion is the only opinion that matters because you’re Black.

24. futuremathsprof

Dec 22, 2017

I was voted best teacher for three years running at the private school where I work, which is very multicultural like I am. My Black students love me — their words, not mine. I don’t fill their heads with nonsense like you do.

25. webmistress

webmistress Devotee

Dec 22, 2017

I'm not talking about proposed solutions. I'm talking about what are you doing, right here and now, when you have Black kids in your care, what are you doing each and every day to fix the problem

26. webmistress

webmistress Devotee

Dec 22, 2017

futuremathprof,
    Okay student, you should be able to:
    1)Copy and paste the exact sentences that you are speaking of that are false
    2)Post your rebuttal
    3)Provide sources to defend your rebuttal

That is how you debate, like a true scholar.

27. AlwaysAttend

AlwaysAttend Fanatic

Dec 22, 2017

As far as debate goes, what are your thoughts on Brown v. Board?

28. AlwaysAttend

AlwaysAttend Fanatic

Dec 22, 2017

I can’t remember who complained about my nonsensical arguments (maybe Amy?), but is this the direction you thought this was heading when you made a comment about me lol

29. webmistress

webmistress Devotee

Dec 22, 2017

I have posted too much information that no one has responded directly to. You should take some time to respond directly to the information I posted. I'm putting that ball in your court for a change.

30. webmistress

webmistress Devotee

Dec 22, 2017

But I'll just say this...there are elderly Black people here in Alabama who have lived through segregation and integration, and they said they knew that desegregation would not work.
    Why? Ask them.
    Even Martin Luther King began to regret it.
    Now, I'm not MLK and I have never lived during segregation, so I invite you guys to find some elderly Black people and ask them when was Black life better, during segregation or integration? In fact, I need to be learning more about this myself and speaking with elderly Black people

Integration could have worked, but it has not. And again, it will take you years worth of reading to grasp it because this topic is not one that affected your family.

31. AlwaysAttend

AlwaysAttend Fanatic

Dec 22, 2017

I’m pretty sure the elderly white people dont love it either but for very bad reasons lol. They were holding up signs and trying to block busses.

No one is responding because they think your arguments are insane.

futuremathsprof likes this.
  32. futuremathsprof

Dec 22, 2017

There really is no argument to begin with.

33. webmistress

webmistress Devotee

Dec 22, 2017

Before someone calls my MLK statement nonsense, just Google for yourself. Integration has not worked, and MLK could see this before he was murdered.
    --------

“We have fought hard and long for integration, as I believe we should have, and I know that we will win. But I've come to believe we're integrating into a burning house.

I'm afraid that America may be losing what moral vision she may have had …. And I'm afraid that even as we integrate, we are walking into a place that does not understand that this nation needs to be deeply concerned with the plight of the poor and disenfranchised. Until we commit ourselves to ensuring that the underclass is given justice and opportunity, we will continue to perpetuate the anger and violence that tears at the soul of this nation.”

Martin Luther King Jr.
    tags: civil-rights, poverty, social-rights
    Read more quotes from Martin Luther King Jr.

34. AlwaysAttend

AlwaysAttend Fanatic

Dec 22, 2017

No, I’m not saying I don’t believe your quotes, i’m saying there’s no basis in reality for any of your positions.

For example, you want everything separate. In reality even the things that are separate aren’t separate. Look at historically black colleges. The only way for them to survive is on federal government loans and grants. These funds come directly from the people you say you should be separated from. The reason historically black colleges are so financially desperate, is because their alumni don’t donate at high enough levels. There’s article after article written by black writers to support this position .

a2z likes this.
  35. webmistress

webmistress Devotee

Dec 22, 2017

That's actually pure laziness. And choosing to remain happily ignorant in your bubbles. You are supposed to be life-long learners and willing to grow.
    Too many websites and sources have been given at your disposal. Central Park? Thoughts on that?
    Start there, start anywhere

36. webmistress

webmistress Devotee

Dec 22, 2017

I do not want everything separate in the sense you are thinking 'whites only' and 'blacks only' signs. There is no need for that. It's about economic power, the type of economic power we were establishing when we had our own towns, yet the races still interacted when necessary.

37. AlwaysAttend

AlwaysAttend Fanatic

Dec 22, 2017

I’d start closer to home thinking about all the poor people kicked out of Newark to build route 280 because it’s closer to me because my family was affected.

But to central park, i’d say society has greatly benefited from its existence so I’m ok with it.

38. webmistress

webmistress Devotee

Dec 22, 2017

Are you saying that your family has been the victim of (or affected by) government and corporate greed?

39. AlwaysAttend

AlwaysAttend Fanatic

Dec 22, 2017

No, of society growing and improving. The highway carries people too and from NJ’s largest city while creating a valuable shipping corridor which is connected to the port ensuring goods can make their way west.

40. AlwaysAttend

AlwaysAttend Fanatic

Dec 22, 2017

If no major travel arteries existed, trucks would idle at stoplights in the city endangering the health of its citizens and the environment.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.