HELPPPPPPPPPPP

Discussion in 'General Education Archives' started by MrsRich219, Aug 17, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. srh

srh Devotee

Aug 21, 2006

Well spoken!

2. Music Doc

Music Doc Habitué

Aug 21, 2006

Other than Native Americans, we ALL had families who originated elsewhere, but, with the exception of those brought by force, they came here to be AMERICANS. No other people in the world feel the need to hyphenate their citizenship, neither should we. Be proud of our ancestry and celebrate it...yes, absolutely!

But we are AMERICANS, let's stand tall and proud and celebrate that fact. I don't really care what color anyone's skin is....it's crucial at this point in time for us to stick together as countrymen and women and show the world we are ONE people. For all our faults and imperfections and mistakes, we still have it better than just about anyone else anywhere in the world. There ARE people in this world who want to take that from us...who WANT to see this country destroyed....and who LOVE seeing us factionalize ourselves into isolated cliques....the destruction will be that much easier than if we stand together as one proud people...AMERICANS.

3. MissFrizzle

MissFrizzle Virtuoso

Aug 21, 2006

So true Doc.:)

Thank you.

4. Youngteacher226

Youngteacher226 Enthusiast

Aug 21, 2006

I think the idea of "we are all Americans" is fine, but as teachers, we HAVE to embrace multiculturalism and diversity. It exsists and we can't ignore it. I don't live my life to please other countries or try to worry about what they think or what they want to see happen. I live for me, right now, today. And as a teacher of young children, I will embrace multiculturalism in my classroom because it is beautiful. Being different is not an ugly thing. :)

5. MissFrizzle

MissFrizzle Virtuoso

Aug 21, 2006

I thought that was what I was saying. I am not against celbrating multiculturalism! However, I am proud to be an American too,and I wholehearedly agree with Music Doc.

6. Music Doc

Music Doc Habitué

Aug 21, 2006

Sorry, but you had BETTER start thinking about what other countries think and worry some about what they want to see happen....or there may not BE any living for "you, right now, today." Turning your back and ignoring the problem will NOT make it go away. I am totally dismayed by your attitude and outlook.....especially as a "teacher of young children".....you should at least be concerned for THEIR future, if not your own.

Besides, you're ignoring the basic point here.....multiculturalism IS fine, no one's saying it's not, including me. What bothers me, however, is the continuous fragmenting of our society. Contrary to what the politically correct would have you believe, the hyphens are NOT bringing us all together, they're dragging us further apart! Everytime someone adds one more hypen, they isolate that group one step further from all others.

Early on in the 20th Century, America was known as the "Great Melting Pot" because (supposedly) all peoples became one here. Now before anyone jumps on me (again), I KNOW that didn't happen for all people....but the IDEA was, and still is, sound. People would come here from around the world and slowly meld into the AMERICAN people. Black, white, brown, red, yellow, whatever degree of skin pigmentation...we are Americans...yes, each with a unique heritage and pride, but in the end, Americans.

I'm sorry if I irritate some people...I just don't believe all the factionalizing is a positive component.

7. srh

srh Devotee

Aug 21, 2006

Again, "American" is a nationalist term. The diversity we're talking about comes from ethnicities. THAT cannot be changed. People are diverse, and being American does not change ethnicity. (It's so frustrating to me to constantly hear, "We're ALL Americans!") It's great to be patriotic and proud of our country, but keep it in the right perspective--we should not have to claim "American" by eliminating our bloodline...heritage...roots...whatever you would choose to call it! And people who choose to embrace it (that heritage), to celebrate it, to share it, are still American! People CAN be both!!

8. MissFrizzle

MissFrizzle Virtuoso

Aug 21, 2006

That Doc, was precisely my point.

9. srh

srh Devotee

Aug 21, 2006

The more current term than "melting pot" is SALAD. It's not so much that we "melt" into ONE thing, but "blend" into a varied assortment of ingredients, much as you would find in a tossed salad. It's the individual ingredients that make a salad what it is in the end result, and yet, each and every "ingredient" can be appreciated for its personal contribution. I don't think "American" has a singular taste, and I hope it never does.

10. MissFrizzle

MissFrizzle Virtuoso

Aug 21, 2006

Who is telling you to eliminate your bloodline?

11. Youngteacher226

Aug 21, 2006

Nuff said!!:D
    And to comment on the previous statement, I think it was: "Turning your back and ignoring the problem will NOT make it go away. I am totally dismayed by your attitude and outlook" , I'm sorry but my biggest concern and the #1 problem that I'm making my top priority right now is the problems in the lives and communities of children. They are my priority. What is going on with them in their own homes. Whats going on with them in their communities. How can I worry about what other countries might do to them,when they have to face what might happen to them just walking home from school everyday. Sorry, but we will just have to agree to disagree. :)

12. Music Doc

Music Doc Habitué

Aug 21, 2006

Excellent point and I agree.......the salad blends! You don't see the carrots in one corner and the celery in another. Nor are there any veggies calling themselves "Cucumber-Saladians," they're all just in there together, like we should be.

13. kinderkids

kinderkids Virtuoso

Aug 21, 2006

My husband's parents both came from Czechoslovakia....they never called themselves Czech-American or European-American, they were quite proud to be called American, yet that did not keep them from losing one bit of their ethnicity nor pride of their heritage. They passed this pride of being czech to all of their children and we will pass pride of that heritage onto our children. SRH, yes people can chooose to be called both, but if we don't choose to hyphenate, that does NOT make us any less proud of our ethnicity, heritage, or bloodline. And I happen to agree with Doc and Frizz....I think the hyphen divides people rather then bring them together.

14. Youngteacher226

Aug 21, 2006

Everyone has their own opinions: kinda reminds me of the concept of diversity ~ and there's nothing wrong with that.:)

15. MissFrizzle

MissFrizzle Virtuoso

Aug 21, 2006

Hey Kinder,

I'm Czech too:D Pass the peirogies:p

16. MissFrizzle

MissFrizzle Virtuoso

Aug 21, 2006

You said it. BTW, I still like everyone ...:D Truce?

17. srh

srh Devotee

Aug 21, 2006

Miss Frizzle: When I said "eliminating bloodline...heritage...roots..." I was simply referencing the different words I've used to mean the same thing. Maybe I should have made it sound less like a massacre (sorry!) and more like, "denying our bloodline," or "forgetting our roots." (Yeah, I don't think "eliminating bloodlines" sounded very good either!)

18. Youngteacher226

Aug 21, 2006

Truce ~ definately! :D

19. happy2teach

happy2teach Rookie

Aug 21, 2006

Music Doc
    First and foremost we are ALL Americans. I don't think anyone denies that fact. I care about the color of our skin. I don't want anyone to lose their culture just because they have migrated to this country or were brought over here by force. Our culture is part of who we are. Our diversity is what makes this country as unique as it is. We can not look pass our differences, this is how we learn from each other. We don't need to forget about these differences, but learn to accept, respect and appreciate the diversity that has become part of our country.

20. ChristyF

ChristyF Moderator

Aug 22, 2006

I don't think anyone is saying that we should ignore our cultural differences. They are what created this country. What bothers me, and I think others, after reading, is that we celebrate just one of those cultural differences. I have not problem with African American's having their own month (although the African American students I teach think that is an excuse to do nothing at school that month). However, by not having celebretory times for other cultures, are we saying that African Americans deserve it more than other ethnic groups? (Asian, Mexican, Native American, Irish, etc)?
    I think we should embrace our cultures, revel in them, celebrate them, teach the customs to others...but all be proud of the fact that we are Americans and allowed to enjoy those cultures.

21. JenPooh

JenPooh Virtuoso

Aug 22, 2006

What would you call someone who is Swedish, Scandinavian, German, French, and Italian? Oh, and I'm also Jewish (not in the religious sense). I'm a mut.

22. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Aug 22, 2006

I think the correct term is "American":D

23. MissFrizzle

MissFrizzle Virtuoso

Aug 22, 2006

Oh Christy thank you. This is EXACTLY what I meant. I'm done. I called a truce before.:D

24. kinderkids

kinderkids Virtuoso

Aug 22, 2006

Heinz 57?????????? lololol!!!!!!!!!!!:p

25. terptoteacher

terptoteacher Connoisseur

Aug 22, 2006

That's why I check the "other" box on my forms!!!!! I bet you that in the next few years, there will be an "American" box that we can all check.

Or heck, check em' all!

26. happy2teach

happy2teach Rookie

Aug 22, 2006

Christy
    That's what some people do not understand. African-Americans do not have their own month. Black history month was designed for everyone to learn about history that was deliberately left out of our history books. If we all don't learn about black history, we are missing out on part of our past. If your students think this is an excuse to not do work during this month, you as a teacher have a duty to explain what black history is all about. If you feel that you can not do this, then you need to bring in different speakers, so they are able to explain it to your class. African-Americans do not deserve a month in February, although we do deserve and have a right to have a part in our history books. We helped to build and shape this country just like every other ethnic group. Other races do celebrate times that are not typical "American" holidays. We celebrate Cinco De Mayo, we celebrate Chinese New Year, etc. Just because we celebrate these times, I don't think we forget that we are Americans. We are celebrating the fact that we are all Americans who have not forgotten our history or our culture.

27. Youngteacher226

Aug 22, 2006

I adore you happy2teach!!!:D I left the discussion alone because sometimes you can't always get through to people. But I wish we had more teachers like you in every school, in every town, in every city!!!! "America" would be so much better off and then there probably wouldn't be so much hate, separation or just ignorance on the part of some people who just don't want to go with the flow of where America is going. Pretty soon, all of the groups mentioned wont be considered the minority and actually they will be considered the majority. So eventually, we have to accept all of the issues at hand and just teach our children what we were never taught. Good luck to you happy2teach.:p

28. Youngteacher226

Aug 22, 2006

And yes, I too have called a truce!!!

29. ChristyF

ChristyF Moderator

Aug 22, 2006

I didn't say that I felt I couldn't cover the information. I do. I have no problem teaching the content at all. I just feel it's sad that the children from the culture the month is designated to celebrate don't understand what it is all about. As a teacher, I teach to and about all cultures whether they are black, white, purple or green. I'm the Crayola teacher. :) I take my responsibility very seriously to teach about all cultures.

30. happy2teach

happy2teach Rookie

Aug 22, 2006

Christy
    This is what teaching is all about. I don't really understand your rationale. Knowledge is what we are trying to give to our students. If our students understood everything, we would have no place in the classroom. Students who are from America don't necessarily know what Independence Day is all about, but we as teachers show, tell and explain to our students the best we can.

31. ChristyF

ChristyF Moderator

Aug 22, 2006

This poor horse has been beaten enough. We aren't coming to any agreement here, and to prevent further arguments, I'm closing this thread. Amanda can choose whether we keep it closed or not.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.