Helping students on tests

Discussion in 'Special Education' started by sunbeachgirl, Oct 1, 2012.

1. sunbeachgirl

sunbeachgirl Rookie

Oct 1, 2012

I am a high school resource teacher and one of my student's parents want me to guide their daughter through her tests. I've explained that I can read tests out loud, but cannot guide her through the questions unless she's on a modified curriculum. They can't seem to understand why and I'm having trouble explaining why.

Do any of you have this problem? How much help do you give students on tests?

3. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Oct 1, 2012

Unless the child has an IEP Or 504, there's no need to be providing additional support outside of what you would do for any other student. If this child really needs more help than what you would expect, please consider referring her to your I&RS committee or special Ed services team.

4. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Oct 1, 2012

All I say is, "Try your best."

5. sunbeachgirl

sunbeachgirl Rookie

Oct 1, 2012

This student is in Special Ed. However, our department policy is that we do not help students on tests in any way (unless they have vision impairment or severe dyslexia and then we read the tests aloud to them). This student's parents, however, want me to give her "hints" and guide her through her tests.

6. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Oct 1, 2012

You just say that you're sorry but you aren't permitted to do that. There's no need to explain further.

7. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Oct 1, 2012

This. If they push further, just say that her accommodations only allow for reading aloud her tests and that state assessments prohibit anything beyond this and that is the model that you follow.

8. Special-t

Special-t Enthusiast

Oct 1, 2012

After I typed in my response, I noticed you are a resource teacher. My answer is for students with more significant LDs. Our resource students do not get the level of accommodations I mentioned below. They usually only get test questions clarified or read aloud.

---------

It depends upon the student's IEP and the type of test. I discuss how I'm going to approach tests with the gen Ed teachers. My students with significant LDs test in my room. They all have the accommodation of formulas and calculators in math. I don't give answers, but I do coach with encouraging words and prompts forward. I also do frequent checks for understanding. Sometimes I reduce the number of choices on multiple choice or provide a word bank. This just for students who have these accommodations on standardized tests. By the way, these accommodations do not result in my students acing tests. They test on par with random samplings of their peers.

9. EdEd

EdEd Aficionado

Oct 1, 2012

I'd explain the rationale behind the policy is well if you think it would be helpful. The idea of assessment is to be able to see what the child knows how to do independently, and often times compared with the rest of the class. To the extent that you change standard procedure, you really aren't sure if the assessment is measuring the child's skills, or the child's skills with your assistance.