Helping a student with recurring Mono

Discussion in 'General Education' started by Lindager, Feb 11, 2011.

1. Lindager

Lindager Companion

Feb 11, 2011

I need advice for my sister. She lives in SC and my nephew who is a HS Junior has had Mono on and off all school year. He worked very hard this past summer and once he started back to school he was diagnosed with mononucleosis. He stayed home about 2 weeks the first time, but I think he went back to soon and he has had several relapses. At one point the school sent a teacher to work with him at home, but that teacher just transported a few assignments from other teachers. Every time my DN is out my sister calls the school and ask for his work. Often the teachers have little or nothing and they don't have it ready in 24-48 hours so it can be picked up. My sister has tried talking to the P but that hasn't gotten more then short term results. My DN ended up failing one or two courses last semester he just never got caught up.

Now he is sick again and the Dr. just confirmed it is mono again. He really needs to stay home a few weeks and get better, but my sister is getting nothing from the teachers. I can't help much because I am unfamiliar with that school and that grade. My sister is really worried that my DN will lose the whole year.

Can anyone help me with ideas how to keep him caught up without the teachers help. What should we expect from a teacher sent to the homebound student?

3. Jem

Jem Aficionado

Feb 11, 2011

No ideas about the teacher at the moment, but a quick question: does he have a girlfiend? My dh had a girlfriend in college that was a mono carrier, and kept giving it to him-he had it three times before they realized it. Obviously I'm not a doctor, but it's just a thought. Good luck!

4. Lindager

Lindager Companion

Feb 11, 2011

He is only 16 I don't think he has had the same girlfriend since August. I think he is just to restless and worried about school he keeps going back to soon. I wish the Dr. would have kept him home longer the first time in stead he was back to school in less then 2 weeks.

5. Sshintaku

Sshintaku Comrade

Feb 11, 2011

Can someone physically go to each of his teachers (or call them individually) and ask for assignments? I think teachers are more responsive if it's the actual parent asking for the work. I know at my school, the office just sends out the homework request, and that can be easy to ignore.

6. scmom

scmom Enthusiast

Feb 11, 2011

Has his mother contacted a counselor or the v.p. in charge and done a formal study contract? I would make the administration accountable if the teachers aren't following through. Also in our area they can do an online homeschool and get credit for it to catch up. One of my son's suffered from recurrent mono one year and it was a nightmare. I feel for them.

7. Blue

Blue Aficionado

Feb 11, 2011

If he has a doctor's note he should be able to get a home tutor. I think the doctor has to keep him out for 3 or more weeks. With this, the school has to provide the home tutor, and everything is easier.

8. 2ndTimeAround

2ndTimeAround Phenom

Feb 12, 2011

As the teacher on the other end, I can tell you straight up that there is no way I would be able to get three week's worth of work ready in 24 hours time. I wouldn't even attempt it.

I may or may not have enough copies available to get that much work copied at one time.

I may be tweaking the lessons as we go along - I typically change lesson plans on a daily basis in response to student learning.

I have had homebound students before and nothing worked out well. I was supposed to give the tests to the homebound teacher and she left them with the student. @@

When I get notes to send work for absent students I usually have to tell them to read certain pages in the text and answer questions at the end of the chapter. My activities need a lot of explaining so they wouldln't be able to do all of the activities either.

Honestly, though, if a student was able to get as much from the text and workbook pages at home, why would the schools ever need to hire someone like me?

I work much better at playing catch-up with these students than loading them up with work ahead of time. I get tons of requests like this because parents love to take vacations during school time and think nothing of requesting all of the missed work beforehand.

9. Lindager

Lindager Companion

Feb 12, 2011

My sister usually is just asking for the work he has missed for the week she will call the school and teachers she has numbers for and e-mail other teachers. She just wants to stop by on Thursday or Friday and get some make up work for that week. He has usually just missed 2 weeks at a time just one time they sent a homebound teacher when he was out for 4 weeks. The homebound teacher did not teach anything. I just feel bad my DN has missed so much time, but it is not his fault. Even if the teachers sent home books for him to read or worksheet if he didn't understand I could help him (we have done long distance tutoring before), but they aren't sending anything and then he has so much to catch up on when he goes back to school he ends up over doing and having relapses.

10. 2ndTimeAround

2ndTimeAround Phenom

Feb 12, 2011

No, it isn't his fault. It isn't like he got into a fight and was suspended.

If I'm given two days to prepare, it would not be difficult at all. It is when someone shows up at my door while I'm actively teaching that it becomes a problem. Sometimes I don't have planning time and sometimes I have to leave right after school. Coming in to an email that asks if I can missed work available for pickup the NEXT day is ideal for me. I have time to put everything together and jot down individual instructions.

I had an administrator come by and ask me to gather three day's worth of work for a student who had been skipping. I was in the middle of a lesson. She wanted it right then. That day's, the previous day's and the next day's. I handed her a workbook and told her to do all the pages for the chapter, write out all the vocabularly and answer the questions at the end. Pretty much busywork. The administrator should have known better :(