Helping a 2-year-old who cries for her mother all day?

Discussion in 'Preschool' started by HannahR2, Jun 28, 2017.

1. HannahR2

HannahR2 Guest

Jun 28, 2017

One of the girls in my class of 2-year-olds cries for her mother all day. We sing her a song about how mommy always comes back, and it helps her calm down, but she often starts crying again after a few minutes. Any ideas? This child is a young two, and it's her first time away from her mother for the day.

3. MissScrimmage

MissScrimmage Aficionado

Jun 28, 2017

How long has she been attending your program?

I had a two-year-old in my program who cried off and on for the first while when he began attending. It was usually during 'down times' like transitions and nap time. If I kept him busy enough, he was usually okay. Once I found out that he loved dinosaurs I brought out lots of toys relating to that theme and we never looked back.

One thing I've found helpful is just reminding the child that mom always comes back and we're going to play, sing, colour, etc. while we wait for her.

4. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jun 28, 2017

Stop singing songs about mom. Give her a hug and get her engaged in an activity.

5. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Jun 29, 2017

Have her hold a picture of Mom.

CherryOak likes this.
  6. Preschool0929

Preschool0929 Cohort

Jun 29, 2017

Visits from the parent typically lead to more crying, especially if the parent only comes for a short period and then leaves again. That's another transition the child has to get through.

Really, I think time, distraction and redirection are your best tools in this situation. My son started in a toddler classroom a few months ago. It took him 2 months before I could drop him off without tears. Separation anxiety is appropriate, especially with a 2 year old who hasn't been away from mom. With my preschoolers, I often suggest parents bring in a family photo that the child can hold during the day, and we slowly phase this out.

MissScrimmage likes this.
  7. ChildWhisperer

ChildWhisperer Groupie

Jul 7, 2017

Oh gosh this brought back memories of when I worked with Toddlers in daycare.
    I had 14-month-old twins start for the first time.
    They had never been away from mom before.
    They cried all day for weeksss!! (Felt like months).
    One day, I was closing and it was just them and me and somehow, I got them to smile so I kept doing what I was doing and they started giggling. THE RELIEF THAT CAME OVER ME! Wow. And they were okay from that day on.
    Tods & 2's have a hard time starting daycare (it's easier starting as an infant!). Just do what you do, try different activities, and she'll eventually get comfortable and not cry anymore.