HELPFUL ideas to create a resume' for the position of teacher assistant

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by Syl Sidewinder, Mar 12, 2012.

1. Syl Sidewinder

Syl Sidewinder New Member

Mar 12, 2012

Hello,

My situation is somewhat unique. All though given the fact that this site covers a broad range of topics on the subject of education and teaching, I figured someone might be able to render useful advice.

My objective is find employment as a teacher assistant with a program such as the Springboard after school program, or similar after school program. To be a teacher assistant for an organization such as La Petite Academy would also be of interest to me. I mentioned the Springboard program, because a number of schools in my area (Denver, CO) offer it.
    The eligibility requirements to be considered for hire as a teacher assistant with La Petite Academy are
    1) High School diploma
    2) minimum of 6 months exp. in a licensed child-care facility

For the Springboard program
    1) An associates degree or something equivalent
    2) Experience working with children K - 8

Here's where my situation becomes "unique". I have a Master of Music degree, and 14 years experience providing musical instruction in the private sector. Years ago, I was a teacher assistant for a high school special ed. program. I also tutored kids at my church with English, writing/reading and Math. Unfortunately, the latter experience would likely be considered "unofficial".
    My current teaching resume, in my opinion, is too "area specific" and it does not reflect my capability in a "public school", or licensed child-care type of setting.

I KNOW I have the capability to do well in this area. Even though I've worked with kids as young as 5, since it was in the "private sector", I'm sure it "wouldn't count." I just don't have the money to go back to school, to get all of the certification requirements, and the whole 9 - yards. Esp. since full certification is not required/specified for the position of which I speak. All though, I'd be willing to do that should I be hired.
    I guess the advice I'd find most helpful, is, some ideas on how to emphasize my strong points and my teaching experience, while I de-emphasize the fact I can't prove that I've worked at a licensed child care facility?
    Besides, how is one supposed to gain experience such as this if not given the opportunity? I don't want to tell out right lies, but at this point, given the fact I REALLY need to work, and it's work I could do right now, if it will help me to land a job, I'd be willing to "stretch some things", a little, if need be.

3. Syl Sidewinder

Mar 13, 2012

Any ideas? Please help!

4. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Mar 13, 2012

You're overqualified, if anything. Your experience SHOULD count...most aide positions are filled by much less qualified candidates. Those programs would be lucky to hire someone with your education and experience. Play up teamwork, collaboration in your cover.

5. HOPE-fulTeacher

HOPE-fulTeacher Comrade

Mar 13, 2012

I agree- you have experience. Whatever you do, please do not "stretch the truth, even a little". It made me cringe to read that, not to mention it'd be the fastest way to get fired should you obtain a position that way.

6. Syl Sidewinder

Mar 14, 2012

Thanks you for your input, HOPE-fulTeacher and czacza,

Yeah,, I'm not really comfortable with the idea of "stretching things" either. I guess, it's that I REALLY need work. (Not an uncommon issue, for many, I know.) The problem I face now is, while I have more than enough education in terms of college, and I have exp. in the private sectror, my degree is in performance, not education, and I don't have a teaching certificate. I'vbe been thinking about getting it, however, I just don't have the money. What do you suggest?

7. Rebel1

Rebel1 Connoisseur

Mar 14, 2012

Syl,
    Here are some things you can stress...
    -What kind of positive outcome or difference did you make in the lives of the children you worked with?
    -How did you help the companies you worked with make $$?
    -Did you help them in any way to increase their enrollment with your shared talents?
    -What kind of feedback did the parents give about your music and did it help the children at all?
    -You can contact some of them for references, IF allowed.
    MUSIC is a BIGGIE in Preschools, SO you can sell that baby BIG time!
    To sum it all up, YOU need to convince the La Petite people that your schet matters!
    YOU NEED to be truthful about it all and not only tell BUT also SHOW that you can back it UP!
    Rebel1