Help!!!!

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by countrygal, Sep 17, 2009.

1. countrygal

countrygal Rookie

Sep 17, 2009

Okay, here is the scenerio. I have 7 repeaters in my class. 6 of 7 are still below a first grade reading level. 1 is at a beginning first grade level. 4 of my students ( 1 who is a repeater) do not recognize all of the letters/sounds. My rules are very clear, consequences/rewards are very clear and consistent. My students can quote them word for word and can tell you exactly what is going to happen if they break a rule. Still, they are continuing to push, hit, lie, and fight. Parental back-up is a joke. I am pretty much having to take care of the situations on my own. On my grade level, when we have problems with a child, occassionally we will place a child in another room for a short amount of time. These kids are inner city and even though we are firm, they are not responding. It isn't just my class. Several other teachers are at a loss also. I need some suggestions. Anyone teaching inner city, please give me some advice! We are spending so much time disciplining that we are losing valuable classroom time. Out of 18 of my kids, 13 were in trouble today for hitting, lying, pushing, or throwing objects at other children. HELP!!!!

3. schoolteacher

schoolteacher Habitué

Sep 17, 2009

You have a rough class, with 7 repeaters.

What incentive system are you using?

4. Hoot Owl

Hoot Owl Aficionado

Sep 17, 2009

Check out this site:

http://www.wholebrainteaching.com/

There's a lot of videos to watch, it's great especially for using with inner city kids.

Do some of your kids need to be referred for special ed?

Goodl luck.