HELP!

Discussion in 'Kindergarten' started by MNTeacher, Sep 7, 2009.

1. MNTeacher

MNTeacher Rookie

Sep 7, 2009

I moved from teaching 3rd grrade to K this year. As I am reading some of the posts about centers, I am noticing that people aren't really introducing them during the first week of school. I was going to have these centers tomorrow for our literacy time (most are for exploration): 1. introducing playdough (make your name then free play), 2. writing center-introducing paper, pencils and clipboards-write name and words around the room 3. This is ME! book (self-portrait) introduce markers 4. books/puzzles-discuss how we use them appropriately.

Is this too much to introduce at once? If so, do I just choose one or two? Do I have everyone do it at the same time? What do I do if someone finishes early?

3. TeacherC

TeacherC Connoisseur

Sep 7, 2009

Is tomorrow your first day of school? If so, I would wait until you have your procedures in place. If not, I would introduce one center at a time, whole group. For instance, have you used play-dough in your classroom yet? If you haven't, and you have enough, it would probably be a good idea to let all the kids use it and do a "free-choice" activity, then explain to them how they will do the center. Also, you could have them gather around you and you could model what they need to do. If you give them all 4 centers at once, I think it will be overwhelming.:2cents:

4. ecsmom

ecsmom Habitué

Sep 7, 2009

I agree with one center type activity a day being plenty. During the first days of K everything takes so much longer than it does in the other grades.
    If you find you have any extra time you can always read to them or sing songs. Hope you have a great year! :)

5. janney

janney Cohort

Sep 7, 2009

I agree with the previous posters. I would pick one to practice each day this week. I think that you'll find tomorrow by the time you get them in the room, help them find their name, practice lining up, practice sitting down, practice walking in the halls, go to the restroom, practice coming to and sitting on the carpet, go to the restroom, go to lunch, go to recess, go to the restroom, practice using crayons, practice using playdough and coming up with crayon and playdough rules, get ready to go home, make sure they all are marked with how they get home...the day will be over. Did I mention going to the restroom?:lol:

6. MNTeacher

MNTeacher Rookie

Sep 7, 2009

Thanks everyone! I don't think I realize how long it's really going to take. I think I'm definitely over planning.