Help!

Discussion in 'Fourth Grade' started by mstnteacherlady, Aug 23, 2009.

1. mstnteacherlady

mstnteacherlady Cohort

Aug 23, 2009

We have been back in school two weeks and I am looking for some ideas. I have a VERY chatty group this year. I started out with the desks in groups, and after a few days of moving various students around, I ended up moving the desks into a pattern with everyone facing forward (for now because I can't stand rows). They just can't seem to sit where their eyes might line up with those of someone else. A conversation always follows. What are some suggestions of some things I can do to help keep the chatter down some? I don't really mind some chatter, but this is constant. I'm having to stop instruction. We continue to go over and practice the rules and procedures and it's not like I'm leaving them sitting with nothing to do. They're just a chatty bunch. Any thoughts?

3. kidsr#1

kidsr#1 Companion

Aug 23, 2009

What about encouraging team work? The last three years I had my classes in groups (teams). I had a chart at the front of the room with each team for tally marks. Each week the team had a captaim that I chose. I would watch for the quietest team, the team working together the best, ready to start class, if I saw a teammate helping another, cleaning up their area.

I also assigned each team an area of the room to clean up at the end of the day.

I would mix up the teams about every two weeks. In the beginning I would award team points a lot to encourage earning the points. You would be surprised how well this worked. I would say "team captain give your teams a point" if all of the teams were working quietly on their assignments.

At the end of the week the team with the most points got classroom tiger dollars to spend in or classroom store. You could come up with your own reward though.

4. allyd

allyd Rookie

Aug 30, 2009

When I have had these types of students before, I give them 10 cards in a library pocket. The rule is that I can remove a card any time but they are not allowed to discuss it until there is an appropriate time. (This stops the talking and prevents the lesso from stopping.) Provide rewards based on the number of cards that they have left. I would provide raffle tickets for each card left and then do a drawing to sit at my desk, a free homework pass, etc. at the end of each week.