Help!!!!!!!!!!

Discussion in 'General Education' started by ms_teacher, Mar 28, 2009.

1. ms_teacher

ms_teacher Companion

Mar 28, 2009

I have been through THREE pencil sharpeners!!!!... What has been your experience with pencil sharpeners in the elementary classroom (5th grade)?? The use of the sharpener is limited... yet in still we still have not found one that can last!!! :help:!!!

3. sevenplus

sevenplus Connoisseur

Mar 28, 2009

I have an X-acto School Pro. I heard GREAT reviews, so I bought one. As soon as I bought it, I started hearing bad stuff. I've had mine for two years now and it still works great. I don't allow my kindergartners to use it, though. But it does get a workout.

Do you know not to sharpen colored pencils in an electric sharpener?

4. Blkjacq

Blkjacq Companion

Mar 28, 2009

Oh my gosh! I have been through at least 50 of the small cheapy handheld ones. My room seems to be the black hole of sharpeners.

5. Falcon Flyer

Falcon Flyer Companion

Mar 28, 2009

I know exactly what you're going through. After two breaking on me in my first year (and these were about $40 sharpeners) I became very protective of mine. No colored pencils, no pencils with glitter, and none of those plastic-covered pencils. I also didn't let kids sharpen their own pencils. It still broke after a little over a year! I have decided to give up on the fancy ones. I have an $8 sharpener and I sharpen whatever I want in it. I figure I'll just have to spend $8 every once in awhile to replace it.

6. Missy99

Missy99 Connoisseur

Mar 28, 2009

Only No. 2 pencils should be sharpened in electric sharpeners.

And my solution to keep the sharpener I paid for in great working order? The kids give me their pencils and I sharpen them. When those break, there is a can full of sharpened pencils for them, and they leave their dull pencils with me.

7. FootballGal

FootballGal Companion

Mar 28, 2009

I've been through 3 as well and those were the expensive ones. I bought a cheap $12 one and now I am only allowed to sharpen pencils. They think it's fun to see how small they can get their pencils but it ends up overheating the sharpener. I have come to HATE pencils!!!!

8. Bonnie gr. 2

Bonnie gr. 2 Companion

Mar 28, 2009

X-Acto Teacher Pro. It sharpens well and quickly. It has a light that goes on when the pencil is sharp. The only thing I don't like, other than the price, is that it is a little hard to open the shavings receptacle. The cup is large, though, so it doesn't need emptied often. I have had one for a little over a month and I like it. In fact, I am ordering another one from Staples.

9. DallasTeacher

DallasTeacher Companion

Mar 28, 2009

I'll have to check on the model, but I've got one from our school that withstands anything. I'm thinking it was about $150.00, but that guy can take a lickin' and keep ticking. It handles everything, including colored pencils. I love it!

10. Muttling

Muttling Devotee

Mar 28, 2009

LMAO.....I have thought about this one a lot. My wall sharpner was shot when I came into my room and has gone totally disfunctional.

I dropped $40 on an Office Depot electric and it's still doing great. I have students from other classes come to my room to sharpen pencils during break.

I have no idea how long this thing will last, but pencil sharpners seem to be totally ignored in my school. Can't we by a bunch of manual ones and a bunch of replacement blade sets at a group discount?????

11. Arky

Arky Comrade

Mar 29, 2009

Oh my goodness! I have gone through so many electric pencil sharpeners, expensive and cheap, that this year I decided to switch out the manual pencil sharpener the school provides every time it quits which is often because they are sorry too!! Paper and sharpeners, two things that schools should make sure you have available and don't.

12. Hoot Owl

Hoot Owl Aficionado

Mar 29, 2009

Be sure the kids use "all wood" pencils. The pencils with the plastic coatings wear out the machines too fast.

13. iheart5thgrade

iheart5thgrade Comrade

Mar 29, 2009

My students have worn our FOUR electric pencil sharpeners this year. The last one died last week and I vowed I would NOT buy a fifth one. I bought five of the cheap, handheld pencil sharpeners and told my class this was our pencil sharpener for the remainder of the year!

14. silverspoon65

silverspoon65 Enthusiast

Mar 29, 2009

I am HS so its a little different, but I HATE it when the kids write in pencil. It looks so messy and it smudges and its too light. I tell them I prefer pen, but they can write in pencil if they really need to. And then I have an old hand-cranked sharpener in the back. When they complain I say 'Oh well, use a pen."

At home I have a Boston Self-Feeder hand-cranked circa 1950. I got it from my nana's house. This thing can put a point on a pencil that would kill a man. I love it. They don't make them like this anymore. But I would never take it to school. My kids would still figure out a way to break it.

15. Crzy_ArtTeacher

Crzy_ArtTeacher Comrade

Mar 29, 2009

I would prefer those small hand held ones but they always get lost in my vortex of an art room. The dollar store little ones are my favorite. Right now I have a new x-acto one that I love but I hate the constant noise of it.

We have these lovely pencils called Smencils at our school and the oils that come off of them ruin the pencil sharpeners, but the kids love them and always come to art class with them.

16. NJArt

NJArt Comrade

Mar 30, 2009

In the art room there are a LOT of pencils to be sharpened every day. I found the only automatic sharpener that lasted more then a few months was the xacto. Cheaper ones didn't last long... esp. Panasonic ... I went through 3 of them in a matter of a few months one year. Xacto all the way.

17. kcjo13

kcjo13 Phenom

Mar 30, 2009

I have had the same old crank one for 4 years, and it isn't the greatest, but for some reason it just keeps on going. On a related note, have you seen the new Crayola Twistables pencils? Not the colored ones, but an actual No. 2 pencil that twists. I've only seen them in School Specialty, but I thought of them for my student who has issues with pressing too hard-he breaks regular pencils, and forget mechanical! I'm sure they are expensive though.

18. blazer

blazer Connoisseur

Mar 30, 2009

Keep a couple of craft knives handy, better than any sharpener.

19. Securis

Securis Cohort

Mar 30, 2009

I haven't even read the original post but based on Crzy_ArtTeacher's assessment, I agree. Last year, my Xacto powerhouse only lasted about 18 weeks before burning out. This year, my newer version is still going strong but that's only because I do the sharpening as much as possible.

Funny thing to go along with this, I have two hand crank pencil eaters that had the knob wrung off within the 1st nine weeks. I installed them one after the other.

20. Historygeek

Historygeek Companion

Mar 30, 2009

Not to be unkind but I had to laugh when I read this post. We have a pencil sharpner in our home that is 38 years old!! We tease my dad about it because it still works and is the best pencil sharpner ever! He got it from the Army when he left the military in 1974. Doesn't have a name brand on it but it is as tough as a tank! I actually already asked him if I could have it when I start teaching!! lol:)

He told me that when I graduate he will indeed wrap it up and give it to me as one of my graduation gifts!!

Good luck on finding your tank!

21. NJArt

NJArt Comrade

Mar 30, 2009

I have a crank one at my house that is AWESOME, and is at LEAST 40 years old. It is attached to an old desk that has a notch carved out for an ink well... I kid you not. I have never used a manual sharpener that works so quickly and so well!

22. EMonkey

EMonkey Connoisseur

Mar 30, 2009

HistoryGeek, don't let the kids touch it.

I have had one for two years now since I stopped allowing the children to sharpen anything. When I was teaching fifth I used to just hand it over to the kids when the sharpener broke and say fix it or no pencil sharpener. Lo and behold, the sharpeners always came back fixed. One of the girls I had was a miracle mechanic the last year I taught fifth. She could fix anything.

23. Bumble

Bumble Groupie

Mar 30, 2009

I have a pencil sharpener that is ONLY used by me. It sounds like it is going to break any day now.

24. MrsPatten

MrsPatten Comrade

Mar 31, 2009

I have an X-Acto School Pro. I've had it for going on 4 years now. This year I thought it had died so I took it home to work on it. As a last resort I sprayed some WD-40 in it and it works like a charm now!

25. MissMaurie

MissMaurie Companion

Mar 31, 2009

I got so tired of buying electric pencil sharpeners that I went and purchased the old-fashioned kind (the one you turn by hand). I LOVE it!!! It sharpens anything and does it quickly and quietly. It was the best $20 I have spent.

26. Arky

Arky Comrade

Mar 31, 2009

Do your schools still get the hand crank ones for you? We still have those in our building which is only 14 years old. We still get them too. I had one installed today because I am sick of buying electric ones. I have had expensive ones and some from Sams and Wal-Mart. They all tear up under kid use.

27. runsw/scissors

runsw/scissors Phenom

Apr 1, 2009

My kids are allowed to use the sharpeners before 8:00 and after 2:45. If they have a little manual sharpener in their desk, they may use that during the day. Honestly, most of the kids go that route and leave mine alone.