Help!!

Discussion in 'First Grade' started by hockey1021, Dec 3, 2008.

1. hockey1021

hockey1021 Rookie

Dec 3, 2008

This my first year teaching first grade. I really love this level. The only thing is I have 16 students and out of those 16 I have 3 that are on a lower level. I was thinking about doing Reading groups because it takes these 3 so long to do things. I am not sure how to do this. Can anyone give me any ideas? :(

3. brandi0718

brandi0718 Comrade

Dec 3, 2008

I do reading groups...i have readers at all levels...i mix my groups so that the high ones can help the low ones..i love reading groups...i have 4- one group is my groups we read our story for that week and do different activities with it...another group is wordbuilding where they use playdough and stamps and magnets to spell out words...another group is teachnology AR, starfall.com, etc. and my last group write a sentence and illustrates or reads books from the library, stuff like that...i hope this helps....

4. teacher143

teacher143 Rookie

Dec 12, 2008

Last year mine did centers when I was doing reading groups. This year I do a writing mini lesson and then call reading groups while students are working on their writing. My best advice is to try different things until you find what works for you!

5. MissFroggy

MissFroggy Aficionado

Dec 12, 2008

This impresses me! I have myself AND the TA in the class during writing because they need so much help! I have about 1/2 the class who can just pump stuff out and then half who need me to sit and urge them to write every sentence. There is no way they could do the writing by themselves... are you using a specific program? how do you edit and revise?

I am much more likely to have them read while I do writing conferences and have them write final drafts. They can read independently but are not independent writers at all.

How much do they write? What do they write?

6. trayums

trayums Enthusiast

Dec 13, 2008

What program do you use for reading? I also doing guided reading groups. My kids range from a DRA 2 to DRA 18. I find that the guided groups really help!!! Differentiation is built in with them. We also use reading workshop which differentiates learning for low/medium and high readers.