Help!

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by snowyday, Nov 8, 2008.

1. snowyday

snowyday Rookie

Nov 8, 2008

I teach a gifted and talented reading group of 3rd graders twice a week and I need help finding great titles that are complex and advanced to keep them interested but that are also appropriate for 8 year olds. We are reading chasing vermeer right now and they are enjoying it, but I feel like it is moving a little slow for their attention spans. Any ideas will be greatly appreciated!

3. JMichelleD

JMichelleD Rookie

Nov 8, 2008

Here are some I've used with gt 3rd graders.
    -Little House in the Big Woods
    -Little House on the Prairie
    -Charlotte's Web
    -Tale of Despereaux (very good one!)
    -Because of Winn Dixie
    -Secret School
    -Toothpaste Millionaire
    -Hundred Dresses
    -The Eco-Mystery books
    -Andrew Clements books
    -Charlie and the Chocolate Factory
    -James and the Giant Peach
    -The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe

I hope this helps! :)

4. snowyday

snowyday Rookie

Nov 8, 2008

thanks for the ideas. I am reading Desperaux aloud right now and they love it!

5. RainStorm

RainStorm Phenom

Nov 8, 2008

If you are going to do a Laura Ingalls book, I suggest you start with On the Banks of Plum Creek.

All of the books are wonderful, but Little House in the Big Woods is very slow and some of the kids really get grossed out by the slaughter chapters, (city kids don't want to know that their food comes from a real animal...) and Little House on the Prairie, while it starts out exciting, slows way down too. Don't get me wrong -- I love both books, but I think On the Banks of Plum Creek is a great starting book for this series. If they get into the series, the will want to go back on their own and read the first two books (and maybe later Farmer Boy, too.)

I know for my inner city kids, the contrast of country girls, walking barefoot to school in dresses that were two sizes too small, and having to share a school book between them -- and then having to spend their Christmas penny on a slate pencil, made them realize that people everywhere have hard times, but still can thrive.

My kids found this story to be so inspirational. Here is a family that lost everything (in the previous book) -- their land, their farm, their dream -- coming to a new place, living in a hole in the creek bank, working hard, barely squeeking by, and then, just when you think it is going to be all right, the grasshoppers come and destroy everything. Dad has to go away and no one knows when he will return. They are afraid he might be hurt or get sick and never come back. Mom and the kids have to survive the best they can. Their lives revolve around waiting for a letter from Dad so they know he is still okay.

In the end, they have little more than they started with, but they survived. They have each other. They are happy because of the love they have for each other. The story is just so universal.