Help!!

Discussion in 'Kindergarten' started by reverie, Aug 27, 2008.

1. reverie

reverie Companion

Aug 27, 2008

I don't think this belongs here (sorry) but I need help from the kindergarten teachers out there. I just got an interview for an "elementary" position, set up the time, and then asked what grade it was for...kindergarten. I taught middle school the past two years and don't really have any experience in kindergarten. I was excited for the interview but now feel kind of discouraged since I don't think I'd do well teaching k. :( Any advice?

3. ecsmom

ecsmom Habitué

Aug 27, 2008

Are you certified to teach K? If so you must have done some student teaching in K.

It is certainly not for everyone. I would say to skip it if you don't think it would be the right position for you. If you were to accept the position and then really not enjoy it, then it would be a bad experience for you and your students. Not to mention that there is a teacher out there who really wants to teach K and she/he might miss the opportunity if you are not honest with yourself and the administration.

Maybe it would be best to wait for a position you know you will be comfortable with. The right one is out there. Good luck.

4. reverie

reverie Companion

Aug 27, 2008

Yeah, I'm certified K-8. I am just running out of time, so it's really sad. K isn't my first choice but I am wondering if I should just take it because I need to teach somewhere.

5. teacherSMK

teacherSMK Habitué

Aug 27, 2008

reverie, I taught H.S. and M.S. for several years, and this year I am switching to Kindergarten/preschool....and while I am still a bit uncertain, I am very excited to be involved in this stage of the process...I didn't know if I would like it either, but I am glad I am giving it a shot! Good luck with your decision! ~ SK

6. reverie

reverie Companion

Sep 1, 2008

I haven't heard back yet, but I decided I'm not going to take it. The school is actually in a strip mall, so I don't think the kids even get recess. What a nightmare that would be, especially with K.