help

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by snowyday, Aug 27, 2008.

1. snowyday

snowyday Rookie

Aug 27, 2008

I am trying to figure out how to organize literacy workstations for 26 students. Should I partner them up, make groups, have required stations, allow choice. I have never used workstations before but thye are required at my new school. Please help!

3. SpecialPreskoo

SpecialPreskoo Moderator

Aug 27, 2008

26 5th grader students. I would think you could put at least 3 to a group, maybe 4 depending on how well they are managed. Have so many required stations and then a few of their choice. I'm sure others on here will have more ideas for you.

4. snowyday

snowyday Rookie

Aug 27, 2008

actually it is a 2nd- 3rd combined class, I guess I need to change that on my info.

5. phillygirl

phillygirl Rookie

Aug 27, 2008

I only have 20 students. I hope this helps a little. I have 10 stations running with 2 students max. My school requires us to do literacy centers during our Lang. Arts rotation. This students must complete the following daily:

Guided reading 25 minutes, word work 25 minutes ( the students work on activities for spelling words and story vocabulary), independent work 25 minutes
    ( story related activities, journals etc .), Literacy center 25 minutes.
    So I only have to change centers every 2 weeks. With Grad school, tutoring and family. I could not physically change them more than that. I only have an assistant twice a week in the morning during Lang. Arts.
    I sure others can help you out more.

For word work my schedule looks like this:
    Monday: making words activities, students use stamps to make their spelling and vocabulary words. Then they have to read them to their partner.
    Tuesday : Write the words on index cards, the students illustrate their words on the index cards. For word they can not illustrate they rainbow write them.
    Wednesday: The student complete a worksheet from the series.
    Thursday: trace, glue, and rainbow write the spelling words.
    Then they give their partner a pre-spelling test.
    Friday: The students complete a worksheet from the series.
    Sorry this is so long. I just like my routine.:2cents:
    I'm sure you will find so different ideas.:)