HELP!

Discussion in 'First Grade' started by ladycajun1105, Aug 8, 2008.

1. ladycajun1105

ladycajun1105 Rookie

Aug 8, 2008

This is my first year teaching I have not done student teaching, I am alternative certification.

Well today was my first day with the students. I feel that is went okay. There were sometimes that the class seemed to not respond to me, but I seem to get a few back on track and continued on with my review of the rules.

There is this one child that can get four others off task and then it seems like the whole class is not paying attention because I am trying to give hime to listen to me. ALl he does is talk, talk, talk. I tried putting him all by himself, he gets up, I had him face the wall and talk to that. I even had him look at himself in the mirror. He will behave, then once he gets back to the class setting; all hell breaks loose again.

I know part of the issue was that I did not have a clear control of the schedule so I was a little lost for a minute or two and when they saw this they ran with it. We also did not have a recess, so the children were so frustrated.

I know that I need to plan for everything, but I just need some help on getting this one child on task.

Please help.

3. love_reading

love_reading Comrade

Aug 8, 2008

Just wondering why you didn't have a recess for first graders?? They really REALLY need that time to run off energy and unwind from being in the classroom. Remember that they have been off all summer, probably with not much structure, and they just recently finished kindergarten. Look for their attention span to last about 10 minutes on average. Also, I have found that a good part of the year they sort of lose focus by midafternoon.

4. trayums

trayums Enthusiast

Aug 8, 2008

I agree- they need time to spread their wings and play. If you don't have recess maybe schedule some sort of exploration time where they can "play" and get to know math manipulatives or do puzzles or color. Like love_reading said, they really need down time. Maybe that will help! :)

5. Emma35

Emma35 Connoisseur

Aug 8, 2008

If you don't have a recess, which you should, try these movements in your classroom. Download the K-5 section. I did and put them into a binder for easy reference. When I find the kids getting fidgety we do one or two energizers.

http://www.ncpe4me.com/energizers.html

6. ladycajun1105

ladycajun1105 Rookie

Aug 8, 2008

It was raining. It was either let them sit in the hall for recess quietly or have them kind of explore the classroom library and color. So I chose to let them color. I also had times when we stood up and let the wiggles out. I also let them jump up and down and let them circle the room once. But by 1:30 they were alittle ready for some new stuff.

7. ladycajun1105

ladycajun1105 Rookie

Aug 8, 2008

I was fine with the down time. I knew that they would be hard to get on task. It is this one child that I can not seem to reach. I want him on task before I start really teaching the content.

8. love_reading

love_reading Comrade

Aug 8, 2008

It's really hard to know what to say without more specifics about this child. Does he have an IEP? Is he on meds for ADHD? What off task behavior did he do specifically? Was it "bad" behavior or just annoying because he was talking so much?

9. love_reading

love_reading Comrade

Aug 8, 2008

I just wanted to add something else real quick--do you have any indoor recess games and toys? Blocks, puzzles, candyland, etc. would be great if you had the money to purchase some. That way they would be able to play if it is raining instead of just read or color. Garage sales are great places to find these things cheap.

10. ladycajun1105

ladycajun1105 Rookie

Aug 9, 2008

I plan on going to the school today to look up my children's culum. folders. I know that I am supposed to have IEP for most of them in the classroom, but I was not given these in advanced. So yesterday was mainly my learning session of my students to see who I needs what. Thanks for the advice on the games, there is none in the classroom so I guess I will be searching places for those types of things very quickly.

The little boy talks constantly, tries to get attention from his peers. He does not want it from me,because I tried using him as my helper and that did not work. Also, with this type of school if I use one as the helper, the others get a little, I want to say defensive because I did not pick them. So I had a system that when we line up for anything there was a new leader and caboose. That way I am not picking the same leader all the time. It seemed to help the class.

Because it was my first time ever teaching, I kind of expected my first day to be this way. It was like they were testing me and I was testing them. I was basically a little giving on this first day; however, I know that I should have been more firm, but I am still learning the policies and procedures myself. So I stand at my word and when I tell them that that was the last time I was going to give them a warning then that was the last time and they were taken out of the fun. Was this the right thing to do?

I guess I need a little assurance. Sorry for being so long

11. FootballGal

FootballGal Companion

Aug 9, 2008

lady- do you know when we are supposed to start teaching the content. I teach 1st grade near you and am so completely lost! I have no idea what I'm doing monday!

12. ladycajun1105

ladycajun1105 Rookie

Aug 9, 2008

Football Gal,
    Monday is when we start content. Does your parish have a curriculum map? If so, then look at that.

If not, ask the other first grade teachers, they will help you out a lot. Believe me, they help wonders. I have learned much from the two that I have. As well as the other teachers at the school.

For us, the whole parish is starting a new reading program so everyone is in the same boat.

let me know if you need any help.

13. hescollin

hescollin Fanatic

Aug 9, 2008

thrift shop

Run to the thrift shop and buy some games, puzzles, little cars, and whatever you find for recess play time.

14. FootballGal

FootballGal Companion

Aug 10, 2008

I'm in iberia parish. I never received a curriculum map. Where did you get yours?

15. ladycajun1105

ladycajun1105 Rookie

Aug 10, 2008

I'm in Iberia too. Check with your principal they may have an extra copy. Otherwise ask the other first grade teachers, someone should have it. It tells you exactly was you are to cover the first week and so forth, that way if a student transfers during the year, everyone in the parish is on the same level.

16. jennyd

jennyd Companion

Aug 10, 2008

I'm by no means an expert, but the thing that struck me most is that it was just the first day of school. We all have expectations of how the kids need to behave, but I always find it helpeful to remember they've been off for the whole summer and may have forgotten how to be in school. It takes a bit of time for anyone to get back into a routine. They've been footloose and fancy free all summer...they're going to need some time to readjust to the structure of school. You'll have to review routines constantly at first - be sure to stick to whatever system you are working with. Just because something doesn't work the first time doesn't mean it will never work. There will be kids that test the boundaries and it's important that they know you'll follow through, and not abandon something just because somebody put up a fight. Once they're used to a routine (and it's been my experience that 1st graders thrive with routine) and know the rules, I'm sure you'll find your class running more smoothly. First graders grow so much during the year. You'll be shocked in June to think back on how they were now!

Plus, it's your first year, too, and you'll be finding your way as you go. Don't be afraid of changing how you do things if you've found something is just not working. And let the kids feel a part of the change. When I've introduced new things or changed routines mid-year I've had a chat with the class about how I've noticed a problem and want to try a new way to solve it. Sometimes I'll let them offer suggestions, sometimes I'll just say what the new way is. Being a part of the process makes them feel a little ownership of it, and consequently makes them a little more invested in making it work. ;)

I think I may have rambled a bit :blush: , but hopefully it helps a little bit. It's tough to go back after a difficult day sometimes (especially if it's your first day!) but you've had the weekend to regroup and I'm sure next week will be better!

17. ladycajun1105

ladycajun1105 Rookie

Aug 10, 2008

Actually, I expected it to be worse than it was so I was very happy when I left. I went to class on Saturday and organized my stuff, which was still in boxes so I will be a little more organized when looking for something that I need such as stickers.

I found out that the child that I had questions about did not attend my school last year so I have to wait on his records. Thanks everyone for your support. I really do feel better now.