Help!!!!!!!!!!!!

Discussion in 'General Education' started by TEACHKIDS123, Aug 7, 2008.

1. TEACHKIDS123

TEACHKIDS123 Rookie

Aug 7, 2008

Hello,
    I was just hired as a new teacher last week and school starts next week:help:. I need help finding a theme for my room. I am teaching 2nd grade and I am having trouble thinking of something. I am freaking out:eek:. I was trying to think of a theme that rhymes with the first letter of my last name which is J. Any help will be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Jungle it is. Thanks for your help.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 8, 2008
  3. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Aug 7, 2008

Congrats! Can't think of the rhyming right now, but I'll throw a few themes out there since you don't have much time!

Jungle theme - You can make a tree, leaves, snake in the tree, toucan, etc. all out of colored butcher paper.

I personally like the ocean theme w/ colorful saltwater fish, seahorses, coral, etc.

Beehive w/ bees

Desert theme - Cacti, sand, rocks, etc.

Picnic theme - Gingham table cloth, ants, picnic basket, hammocks.

4. RainStorm

RainStorm Phenom

Aug 7, 2008

I like it! Ms. J's Jungle Explorers. (Or Mr. J's Jungle Explorers -- I can't tell from your screen name.)

It has a nice ring to it. :)

5. MissFroggy

MissFroggy Aficionado

Aug 8, 2008

I am excited for you... remember though, there is no reason you MUST do a theme (unless your P says) so you may feel less stressed if you focus on looking over the curriculum and preparing your lessons.

6. MsJen

MsJen Rookie

Aug 8, 2008

This is very true!

7. TEACHKIDS123

TEACHKIDS123 Rookie

Aug 8, 2008

Thanks so much for all of the responses. After a long night of little sleep. I am definitely going to take your advice and save the theme for another year. It was just stressing me out too much. I decided to just spend my time and energy on my lesson plans.

8. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Aug 8, 2008

Ditto what Miss Froggy said....You don't need an entire room theme- many teachers dont' use themes for decorating. With just a week to go you first want to make sure you have all the necessary supplies- paper, chalk, pencils, pencil sharpener, chart paper, markers....etc... Organized books, library area, carpet... Then after the essentials are organized maybe come up with a theme for your hallway BB or door as a welcome- the rest will come together. You dont have a lot of time to run around to many stores trying to decorate an entire room- plus you don't hve time to find everything you'd want at a good price the way other techers have been spending much of their summer doing.

9. shouldbeasleep

shouldbeasleep Enthusiast

Aug 8, 2008

Just decide if you want a colorful classroom or a calm classroom and pop up those boards. You can put "Under Construction" on the boards if you've run out of time. You can make one board be for student work, so just put the paper/fabric up, border and a cute title.

Try to make the bulletin boards useful for teaching. Once trick I did this year was to download nice photographs for the Earth Science unit. I downloaded them onto photo paper and they look super. So during the lesson, I can point to the photo of the Rockies and the photo of the Appalachians and ask which one is older, why, etc.

10. TEACHKIDS123

TEACHKIDS123 Rookie

Aug 8, 2008

Great suggestions ladies. Keep them coming. I am working on the bulletin boards and I am just trying to have a very simple, yet colorful room.