Help!!!!!!

Discussion in 'First Grade' started by Crusadersgirl22, Apr 7, 2008.

1. Crusadersgirl22

Crusadersgirl22 New Member

Apr 7, 2008

:confused:
    I am in a children's literature methods course and i have to teach my first lesson in 1st grade and it has to be a read aloud and i have no idea what to do I am thinking about chronological order/ sequencing but I don't know when they learn that. I've taught 3rd grade before and i know they know it then but i don't know when they learn it if any on could please help me that would be great!!!

3. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Apr 7, 2008

Look up your state's content standards for language arts: chances are they're spelled out by grade.

4. Crusadersgirl22

Crusadersgirl22 New Member

Apr 7, 2008

My states Standards are not by grade they are only for grades 3,5,8, and 11. which is why i am asking for help

5. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Apr 7, 2008

Odd. There's probably a state reading teachers' Web site, or perhaps information for parents on the state department of education Web site, that might shed some light.

6. Purple Haze

Purple Haze Rookie

Apr 7, 2008

Hi! I did my student teaching in 1st grade and I think they should be able to handle this. Once you read the story, maybe if it is not too long you can have them all read it with you. Then talk about the sequencing. First, Next, Then, Last. You can call on students to have them tell you what happened first, then next, and so on... all the while modeling how to write a summary of the story? Our school district used Houghton Mifflin and this was totally first grade stuff. Good Luck!

7. 1gdteach

1gdteach Companion

Apr 8, 2008

What about reading the book "The Very Hungry catterpillar" This is a sequencing book.

8. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Apr 8, 2008

And after reading the book you can act out the story on a flannel board (if you have access to one) and then have the student cut and glue the story into the right sequence.