HELP!

Discussion in 'Middle School / Junior High' started by RainbowsEnd, Mar 25, 2008.

1. RainbowsEnd

RainbowsEnd Rookie

Mar 25, 2008

It's been 4 weeks since our last vacation and there are another 4 until we get one. I'm a first year teacher, and until this week I've enjoyed going to school each day.

For the last 3 or 4 days, I've dreaded everything about my day . . . the hour-long commute, the classes, the students, and even my colleagues. I've broken down and cried twice because I feel guilty that my frustrations affect my teaching and my interactions with my students.

I feel like I just need a day off, and I haven't used a sick day all year, but I feel bad. Is it OK to take a "mental health day" or do I just suck it up and wait for the weekend?????

3. INteacher

INteacher Aficionado

Mar 25, 2008

NO - if you feel guilty about taking a sick day, which I don't think you should, take a personal day. Taking care of yourself so you can be the best teacher you can be is very important. Everyone at some time of another has needed a mental health day for all the reasons you have described. Be good to yourself and rest yourself for a day.

4. scienceteach82

scienceteach82 Cohort

Mar 25, 2008

Self-care is not selfish. Our counselor told us that last year. Worked for me!
    Hope you feel better!

5. jsfowler

jsfowler Companion

Mar 26, 2008

Take a day off and come back refreshed. Remember, your attitude rubs off on the students. If you are prepared and ready to go, your students will be also. We all have our moments, so take the day off and relax. You deserve it!

6. KristysRedBarn

KristysRedBarn Rookie

Mar 26, 2008

Absolutely take a day or two off. It will make you a better teacher and a better person to be around. Not the least bit selfish. In fact it would almost be selfish of you not too.

7. Commartsy

Commartsy Companion

Mar 28, 2008

It's that time of year. With the kids getting wound up with the warmer weather and the big tests hitting, it's natural to feel your stress levels amp up! The last day of school hits about the time you think you can't take one more minute, and summer ends when you feel like you can't wait one more second to be back in the classroom.

Take it easy on yourself.