Help!

Discussion in 'Behavior Management' started by scienceteach82, Mar 21, 2008.

1. scienceteach82

scienceteach82 Cohort

Mar 21, 2008

My classes are SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO horrible! I am almost in tears right now. I get NO help from admin, and the parents don't care at all! I'd send the worst one to the ISS room...but they are ALL BAD!
    What can I do?

3. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Mar 22, 2008

Can you give a little more info?

How are your classes bad? What do the students do? What do you do? What's your discipline plan?

It will be okay! :)

4. Bored of Ed

Bored of Ed Enthusiast

Mar 23, 2008

Don't know what your issues are, but I'm sending you an e-hug.

I felt this way at the beginning of the year (as in, the first several months) and thank God I've lived this long, and my teacherhood is still intact. There have actually been improvements.

Still no help from admin, still no communication with half the parents and the rest are unhelpful, still some teary nights, but I basically gave up on getting real support and learned to pull through on my own, albeit not quite as well as I'd envisioned back when I was hoping for support...

5. Ms Petunia

Ms Petunia Rookie

Mar 23, 2008

Be more specific about what the students are doing so we can help. I love this site and I have received such good advice from my posts and others. Go through some of the old posts on A to Z in your grade level, I'll bet someone has already given some clever advice that would help you out. Come up with some kind of game plan regarding behavior in your classroom, be positive. If possible talk to a seasoned coworker and ask her/him what sort of behavior plan she/he uses in the classroom. Don't show your students that they are getting to you emotionally, it will make it worse. In High School it's all about how to impress fellow classmates, and if they can target a teacher they will do it.

6. scienceteach82

scienceteach82 Cohort

Mar 24, 2008

Sorry...was so upset I forgot to put anything down!
    Ok...back talk, don't listen, don't turn in work, curse in class (not at me), hit each other, run around, threaten each other.
    That's just 3rd period! Remains true for about 3 other classes too.
    It's horrible. We have a discipline system, but it doesn't work. Our ISS guy is great, but the kids just don't care. Many parents scream 'racism' or state b/c the kids has an IEP then he/she can't control it...and they can't be punished for it! OMG!
    Admin doesn't care...they aren't from America and don't understand the culture...so there is a big clash between them and the American parents.
    The kids laugh at admin when they try to get them to stop doing something. There have been so many days where I have wanted to just leave and never come back. I am interviewing at other schools...I really pray I get another job. :(
    I redirect them, email parents, refer to counselor, send to ISS.

7. JustT

JustT Comrade

Mar 24, 2008

I'm so sorry you're having an awful time :(. Ok, I'll tell you what is worse than teaching a bunch of teenagers who won't listen.... a roomfull of teachers who are acting the same way! (j/k - though I feel that way sometimes)

Alright. Here's my suggestion. It's your classroom so forget the curriculum for a week. Instill 5 basic rules even a kindergardener can apply. They will probably ignore this however, it gives you a chance to redirect specific students.

It's going to be very important you connect with your students. Your first minute has to hook them into listening for a duration of time. It get's easier once you build credibility with them.

I would sugget reading Impact Teaching or something similar since it would help you build a personal teaching style that will work.