Help!

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by Iris228, Mar 14, 2008.

1. Iris228

Iris228 Rookie

Mar 14, 2008

I have had a terrible time finding a job here in NJ after graduating with Elementary Education. I completed a few online applications to schools in NC where I thought I might like to relocate. I just got a phone call from a principal at a small elementary school for a possible 3rd grade position and am going to send him some things so he can learn a little more about me. I am sooo excited at the possibility of scheduling a personal interview which he said he'd like to do in early April assuming the things I send are good! I'm sending letters of reference and my full resume but am looking for other things to include. He said I could maybe send a few things from my portfolio but he didn't want me to send him too much stuff....help me! what do you think I should send so that he gets a clear picture of who I am without having to read or be swamped with too much "stuff" from my portfolio.

3. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Mar 14, 2008

Do you have a Philosophy of Education? I would send that along with your resume, a cover letter, and letters.

4. Iris228

Iris228 Rookie

Mar 14, 2008

I do have a philosophy of education for my portfolio, but I think it needs to be reworked a little since I completed it when I was still in college a few years ago. What type of things do you included in your philosophy? I think mine is a little too long/too much information. But I think thats a great idea & would probably help to give him a picture of what I'm about assuming I fix it up a little bit. thanks!

5. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Mar 14, 2008

In mine, I have what kind of teacher I am, what strategies I use, that I believe in a child-centered classroom, and list examples of lessons you've done with these strategies.

6. Iris228

Iris228 Rookie

Mar 14, 2008

Thanks for the advice! You think that'll be enough or should i provide him with sample lessons for that grade level (I have some from my student teaching)?

7. Iris228

Iris228 Rookie

Mar 14, 2008

I have a rough draft going of my philosphy of ed. a lot is taken from my OLD phil of ed. i developed in college so any critique would be welcome...and appreciated!

I am committed to helping my students recognize their full potential and discover their own unique talents and abilities. My goal as a teacher is to support students in developing the skills and attitudes that will allow them to be lifelong successful learners. I firmly believe that the elementary school classroom is a place where students should be active learners in all subject areas and I strive to develop learning experiences that are meaningful for each unique child. It is very important to remember that students should not be passive recipients of information. Children learn best by doing. It is important to model for students what you would like them to do and allow them to take increasing responsibility for their own learning.

Learning should be acquired in an environment that is positive and feels safe and comfortable for students while providing enough structure so that students know exactly what is expected of them and why. I emphasize the positive aspects of behavior and provide correction for behaviors that are not expected in the classroom. I enlist the help of the students when creating the rules so that they feel involved in our classroom community and have a better understanding of why the rules are in place. These rules need to be consistently implemented and reviewed periodically.

I also think that it is important to remember that schools need to provide children an education outside of the traditional English, Math, and Science curriculum. Students need to be taught to respect themselves, as well as others around them. I try to emphasize cooperation, not competition in the classroom. I accomplish this through cooperative learning, group discussions, and opportunities for students to share their own thoughts, opinions, writing, and ideas. This is also useful because students can learn a great deal from one another. In my classroom I hope to foster independent thinking, teach children social skills, and build self-esteem, allowing children to become competent, cooperative adults who have reached their full potential.

8. SmartCookie

SmartCookie Comrade

Mar 14, 2008

Include a photo of yourself.

9. MissFroggy

MissFroggy Aficionado

Mar 14, 2008

I would create a one page color photo document highlighting some of the things you have done in your class. That, one lesson plan, and your philosophy should be good.

10. Iris228

Iris228 Rookie

Mar 15, 2008

EW i hate photos of myself! LOL However, i do have a few photos of things I did with my kinder kids when I taught at a nursery school...think I should send a few of those even though the position is a 3rd grade position and the lessons would be very different? Other than that I don't have a lot of pictures...unfortunately I didn't take any during my student teaching experience and I haven't had any more classroom experience.

Thanks guys for the advice I really appreciate everyone's input...it's so difficult to express yourself on just a few pieces of paper instead of in person and I want to make sure I make a good impression!

11. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Mar 15, 2008

For a workshop I created I could have had regular pages documenting what I planned to cover or even a copy of my power point. Instead I had these cute clip arts and then short bullets under each of them randomly placed across the page. My title said, "Attitudes Do Count" but it had to do with teacher and aide training and what important things to take away from the workshop. My point is you could get creative but more professional at the same time with your one page document showcasing your talents.

12. cheeryteacher

cheeryteacher Enthusiast

Mar 15, 2008

I would send sample lessons and a classroom management plan as well. Make sure you research the school and corporation to find out what is important to them. For example, if you find that they are trying to improve writing scores, you might send something that focuses on how great you are at teaching writing.

13. Iris228

Iris228 Rookie

Mar 15, 2008

Anyone have any advice/comments about my philosophy so far? It's a rough draft but I'm feeling stuck...Thanks!

14. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Mar 15, 2008

Try the Job Seekers forum for threads on mini portfolios, philosophies of ed...one member recently wrote of a tri-fold 'brochure'...anything to show who you are and make yourself stand out...

15. Iris228

Iris228 Rookie

Mar 15, 2008

Thanks I'm going to check it out!