Help!

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by GMAN, Feb 1, 2008.

1. GMAN

GMAN New Member

Feb 1, 2008

Hey Guys. What is shortest way to get into teaching in the state of Oklahoma? I have an associate in Arts & Science with a concentration in mathematics. I started studying engineering and racked up about 30 hours in mathematics before changing my major to business (Managerial Science) & got my bach from the University of Texas. I have spent the last 20 years working as an engineer and traveling all over the U.S. I want to teach high school mathematics and I was wondering if on the job experience will make up for not being actually degreed in mathematics. I am wanting to slow my life way down and have always enjoyed teaching as I was a math tutor all through college. I need to get something lined up relatively fast. Any suggestions. If i am going to have to go back to school, I would just as soon go for a masters. Any help would greatly be appreciated. Thanks to all. G-man

3. JaimeMarie

JaimeMarie Moderator

Feb 2, 2008

Your best bet would be to contact the Oklahoma department of Education and ask them what you would need to do to get certified in math.

4. CarrieB

CarrieB Companion

Feb 2, 2008

There is an alternative certification program, you have to apply, get permission to take the certification tests (1 professional test, 1 gen ed test, and believe 3 math - beg, intermediatem and advanced). Unfortunately the requirements of the alt certification is that you complete professional teaching classes (like classroom management, educational development, etc.) within 3 years. I think there is something like 20 -30 hours of classes. You can check OU's website for what they require for professional education classes.

5. Miss W

Miss W Phenom