Help!

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by anna32306, Sep 1, 2007.

1. anna32306

anna32306 New Member

Sep 1, 2007

Hello everyone! I'm new to the board and I was wondering if I could get a couple of questions answered. I am currently in the military and getting out at the end of October. I will be starting school with the hopes of becoming an elementary school teacher and I'm a little scared! I am starting late (I'm 27) and I have an 18 month old daughter, so I know there's a long road ahead of me, but this is always something I've wanted to do. Here's my question...Does everyone love their job? I've spent the last 9 years dreading work everyday, and I know that the grass isn't always greener on the other side, but I would like to believe that there are jobs out there that people don't hate. Also, is it hard to find jobs? Has anyone ever had a real big problem finding one? I'm used to the stability of the military and I guess that's the thing that scares me most about this change. I'm used to having a guarenteed paycheck, and the fact that I won't have one is freaking me out! Any imput that you could give me would be great. I would like the pros and cons...I think I might need a wake up call!

3. Pattie

Pattie Companion

Sep 2, 2007

I do enjoy my job every day and you might enjoy it even more for the same reason I do. You are the master of your domain. It is your classroom and YOU run it. It's much different, then, from the military isn't it? (no taking orders) You'll no doubt love the control you have over every aspect of teaching kids. I love walking into my classroom in the morning, I love inventing curriculum, I love the kids and their funny ways (first graders) and the comraderie of your teacher friends up and down the halls. I've had to move quickly from California to Utah and I found a job within a week near my home. I've moved 3 times since & never had trouble finding jobs. My job in Calif was easy to get too. I love teaching. If you like to be creative, like independence and kids, and a variety every day, you'll like it too.

4. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Sep 2, 2007

Many of us have gone to school with young ones. You will probably find yourself being more disciplined and dedicated now that you are older especially given your background. It can also help your new career as well.

Teaching is like any industry. Some hate it but many love it. It is a lot of work, overwhelming at times, has many uphill challenges but if it is right for you your passion will guide you through all that and you will see all the fun stuff and the beauty in the little accomplishments. Good Luck!

5. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Sep 2, 2007

That says most of what I was going to say.

As to the job situation: for starters, let me correct an urban legend: there is NO "teacher shortage." There are small pockets of the country that are desperate for teachers, just as there are parts of the country (like NY) that have hundreds of applicants for every single job. As long as you're willing to re-locate to one of those pockets, there are jobs for the taking. I'm guessing that as a member of the military, re-locating to follow a job might not be as big an issue with you as with someone else.

This is my 22nd year in the classroom and there's no other job I can imagine myself doing. Each day, each period, is different from the one before or the one to follow. In no other job can we re-invent ourselves over a summer and come back as a totally different person to present to the new students in our charge. Within each classroom, there's a lot of autonomy.

I love teaching. I suspect you will too. Best wishes!

6. texas

texas New Member

Sep 2, 2007

I am retired military(did my 20 years) then chose to go to college (4 years at the young old age of 38). I love my job, this will be my 8th year teaching. Its hard sometimes to believe that I had another job prior to this one. But if you can handle the army, teaching is a piece of cake. Like she said earlier, your room is your domain. If you do your job, you don't always have someone looking over your shoulder. As an NCO, I was always teaching others their job, so teaching was natural. Good luck, and remember you are never too old!

7. VA2500

VA2500 Rookie

Sep 2, 2007

Be all you can be. Be a teacher.

VA
    Eduholic

8. MissFroggy

MissFroggy Aficionado

Sep 2, 2007

I love my job also! I do think it depends on finding the school that is the right school for you. Some schools have a scripted curriculum where you follow it word for word every day- which leads little room for creativity. Some people might like this because it takes the worry out of making it up... I don't think most teachers feel this way. Some schools have you make everything yourself in terms of curriculum but this also is the exception.

Most schools are somewhere in the middle. You get to be creative, make up some great projects, run the classroom with your own style, humor, personality, etc. You do run your own room, and you are in charge. You also have a lot of responsiblity. It is up to you to see that the kids are engaged, learning, ready for the next step, etc.

I personally believe it's the best job on earth! Find the right school for you and you may find that true as well... but don't give up on teaching if your first school year, or first school doesn't go as planned, or if there are things you don't like about it. I strongly believe you need to keep trying a couple of schools before you find the right one for you.

9. Pattie

Pattie Companion

Sep 2, 2007

I agree with Littleschool. I have a daughter in law who just went into teaching and I told her to look for 3 things when choosing a position. Look for a good principal who is friendly, has a good reputation and will let you be yourself. If you see signs that they will micromanage everything, steer clear. 2nd thing is teammates. I cannot abide teams who do everything alike and feel that they can't stand competition or uniqueness. I chafe at that kind of clonyness.
    You have to be able to do some individual projects and bulletin boards and not have to be so the same. The 3rd thing is the area. Look for what you can handle. If you are in a low income area, sometimes that equates to harder to manage kids, not as much parental support, homework doesn't get done etc. It is fulfilling to teach these kids but it is sometimes life sucking too and you burnout. If it is a nicer area, chances are the kids will be better behaved, parents will help out in your classroom etc. I believe you have to find the 3fold fit for you. I've loved principals and had principals where a third of the staff left after a year. Be careful when you choose cuz you are going to be there for a school year. :unsure:

10. anna32306

anna32306 New Member

Sep 2, 2007

I just wanted to thank everyone for their replies! Change is a weird thing when you've had everything decided for you for the last 9 years! You have helped ease my mind a lot! I am now looking forward to the career change. Like I said, I have a daughter and ever since she came along I can't even begin to imagine putting anything before her. I know that sounds bad, but my husband is deployed at the moment and he has missed almost the whole second year of his daughters life. I just don't think I could ever do that. My family means the world to me, and I just need to get into a career that matches that. Thank you again everyone! I look forward to talking (I should say "lurking" since I don't have much to contribute yet!) to everyone. THANK YOU!!

11. Pencil Monkey

Pencil Monkey Devotee

Sep 2, 2007

Finding a job in teaching is easier in the southern states from what I've heard. Northern states have a tough market. Georgia is begging for teachers every year, there is always a shortage. If you want a sure fire job, major in special education. You will have no problem finding a job!

My experience in teaching has had its ups and downs. I love teaching now that I am in a better place and in a better situation. I originally wanted to work with at risk teenagers because I fancied that I could change the world. Your love for your job depends on whether it is the right fit. The right grade, the right school, the right type of population. Think about what kind of place you see yourself teaching in. Start observing in those types of environments and making connections. After awhile re-evaluate what you want. You may find that what you wanted to begin with is not what you necessarily needed or want in the end. My point is, I love my job now. A year ago, I was miserable because I was in the wrong situation for me. If you feel in your heart you were meant to teach, go for it!