Help

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by sweet81, Aug 5, 2007.

1. sweet81

sweet81 Rookie

Aug 5, 2007

Hi everyone, first I just want to thank those of you that responded to my posting. I really appreciate the advice and it has actually helped. I'm not going to give up no matter what I have to do.

My next question/dilemma I have is this: as some of you know, I graduated in 2005 with my master's degree. I have had no teaching experience since than except for student teaching. Like I mentioned before, subbing is not something that will work for me...financially and there is definitely no way I will survive. A lot of schools do not hire unless you had some teaching experience despite the fact that you have a degree, let alone a masters.

What can I do? Anyone ever been in this position? What did you do? Any suggestions?

3. buck8teacher

buck8teacher Devotee

Aug 5, 2007

What about subbing in a couple different districts? That gets your name out in a lot of places and you'll have a chance of being able to work more days because you are subbing for more districts. A couple of my friends worked at Sullivan/Huntington Learning Centers during college and were well compenstated and gained great experience. These places are open after school and might be an option for you! Many schools after before and after school care that you could see about working at to make some extra money. Subbing is a great way to get experience and might open up a LTS for you...which led me to my job!

4. lillebe

lillebe Rookie

Aug 5, 2007

I would definitely try to work in an after school program, or try to do some tutoring within different districts, or Sylvan just to get the experience.
    Subbing is the best way to get hands on experience and get your foot in the door, but I completely understand your dilemma. Applying to many different districts increases your chances of getting called. If not, could you work a part time job a few days a week, or even weekends for guaranteed work then sub on the days you're off. Even if it's only 2 days a week, it's a great place to start.