Help!!

Discussion in 'New Teachers' started by littleapplegirl, Jul 6, 2007.

1. littleapplegirl

littleapplegirl New Member

Jul 6, 2007

Hello,
    I'm a new fourth grade teacher in a wonderful district. I was hoping someone could give me advice about the first week of school. What kinds of things do you for the first week? I don't want to just stand there going over procedures, any ideas??
    Also, when I was a kid, I had a teacher that gave us a bag of stuff on the first day of school. It had different materials that symbolized something, such as a rubber band to remind us to be flexible, an eraser because we can always fix our mistakes, etc. Has anyone ever heard of/done this, and if so, what other materials do you include??
    Thanks for your help!!

3. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Jul 6, 2007

Welcome to AtoZ! That poem is on here somewhere, so I know someone will help you out with it.

The best thing about the first week of school is that we play so many games. I give them a pretend 'quiz' about me, we play a listening game that I made (when you see someone wave their hand, do 5 jumping jacks; when you see someone do jumping jacks, go turn off the lights.....), they do scrambled up sentences, play math games...... In between each game or activity, we go over procedures and expectations.

4. Amers

Amers Cohort

Jul 6, 2007

I've been wondering the same thing! I've got a pretty good handle on my lesson plans, but school starts on a Wednesday. How long do I spend doing back to school/procedure things before diving into the lessons?

A couple ideas I've read for the first day or two of school include:
    -making an ABC Book together
    -using empty Pringles cans, have each student make a time capsule with a writing sample or survey of their interests or things they want to learn in 4th grade....anything along those lines that they can look back at on the last day of school
    -Bring in items that "tell" something about you. Have students try to guess what each item says about you. Invite students to bring in their own items the next day

I actually found those ideas around this site, but I thought they sounded like fun.

5. littleapplegirl

littleapplegirl New Member

Jul 6, 2007

Thanks for the suggestions, they sound great!!

6. mswife

mswife Rookie

Jul 7, 2007

Sample poem for "welcome bag"

Welcome bags to build team spirit-- poem & samples for bags

Our banner year begins right here
    With nifty bags of new school gear.
    Look inside and try to guess
    Why each item means success!

Bookmark: We’ll read lots of great books.
    Notepaper: We’ll have fun writing.
    Pencil with an eraser: We’ll make mistakes, and that’s okay.
    Stickers: We’ll stick together by helping each other.
    Smarties candy: We’ll learn a lot!

7. I want to TEACH

I want to TEACH Companion

Jul 7, 2007

This would be a great beginning of the year gift. I am def. doing this for my students on the first day! Thanks:)

8. born2teach84

born2teach84 Comrade

Jul 7, 2007

This may sound dumb or I am just going blank but what does " our banner year starts here" mean? What does the word banner mean in this sentence?

9. mswife

mswife Rookie

Jul 7, 2007

In this case, banner means unusually good or outstanding. You could easily substitute something like "our super year" or "our brand new year" and it would convey the same positive message!