HELP

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by Miss Bliss, May 17, 2007.

1. Miss Bliss

Miss Bliss Companion

May 17, 2007

So, I currently teach at a school that is basically going down hill. Each year enrollment decreases, and we fear that our doors will close.

I sent out resumes and heard nothing. Therefore, I signed my contract for next school year. We didn't get them returned to us until 3 weeks later (which is unusual). However, my dream school contacted me for an interview. So I went. I was very honest during the interview and told the principal that I signed next year's contract at my current school.

He still offerred me the position. Now I have to get out of my contract. I teach for a private school. How hard will this be? I want to be honest with my current principal. Any advice?

3. SmartCookie

SmartCookie Comrade

May 18, 2007

Honesty is definitely your best policy in this situation. I would act as soon as possible and describe your new opportunity and why you think it is a good fit for you. Hopefully the administrator will be flexible. Their is still lots of time left to fill the position you want to leave.

4. nc4th

nc4th Rookie

May 18, 2007

That is a tough situation to be in. I hope that it goes well for you, just remember you have to look out for what is best for you.

5. hescollin

hescollin Fanatic

May 18, 2007

I hope they let you out of your contract. Keep us posted.

6. mrs.teacher5

mrs.teacher5 Companion

May 18, 2007

Most contracts state 60 days. If you let them know now they should have no problem letting you out of your contract.

7. Research_Parent

Research_Parent Cohort

May 18, 2007

Your contract should have release clauses, resignation, or something along those lines in it, since its for next year (future employment dates) they should be able to release you...

check your contract first, follow its guidelines...definitely talk to your current principal with honesty...then, you should be able to accept the new offer.

Good luck!

8. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

May 18, 2007

I don't think they will bother to hold you to the contract because that can be expensive. Also, at my private school, one of the gals in admin is also a lawyer and she said the contract wasn't worth the paper it was printed on.