Help

Discussion in 'Behavior Management Archives' started by usfmeghi, Sep 26, 2006.

1. usfmeghi

usfmeghi Companion

Sep 26, 2006

I teach Freshman and my class is causng me a lot of grief. They argue detention. They lie. They constantly talk. They won't quiet down. Holding them after doesnt work......

3. synapse

synapse Comrade

Sep 26, 2006

We need more info to really be helpful. You have identified a couple of general issues...which one is of greatest concern? Describe it in detail. When does it happen? How frequently? How severely? What is the pattern? Who is involved? How do you attempt to deal with it? What result are you looking for?

4. usfmeghi

usfmeghi Companion

Sep 28, 2006

Specifically I have some students throwing spitballs.. I suspect when I am helping another student. They stopped with the sending paper to the ceiling as I found them out as well as pencils.

If I knew the culprit, I could dole outr individual consequences. How do I solve this "spitball" issue. Make the whole class clean. They already hae to pick up papers off the floor before they can leave.

I get the argument "That's not fair. We didn't all do it as far as papers under their desks ans so forth, though I am firm.

5. synapse

synapse Comrade

Sep 29, 2006

A couple of thoughts come to mind. Students engage in behaviors like this when they are not engaged in meaningful instruction. Take a close look at your lessons. Are they engaging, meaningful, and fun? Take a look at your transitions between activities. Reduce the down time by ensuring you are prepared to move from one activity to another. Be clear about your expectations.

Improve your "withitness." This means that you've got to position yourself in the room so that you are aware of everything going on. Look around. Provide positive feedback to students who are behaving the way you want. Provide corrective feedback to students who are not doing what is expected.

Students caught throwing spitballs should be required to clean them up. This is call a logical consequence. I don't believe the whole class should clean. This will undermine your relationship with your students.

Bottom line: Thinking about what you have control over...how can you rearrange the environment so that throwing spitballs is no longer appealing to your students?

6. ddb23

ddb23 Companion

Sep 29, 2006

Punishing the whole class will turn all of them against you. Plus, the students are correct - it's not fair.

I agree with synapse - when the students are engaged bell to bell, there is not time for misbehavior. Once you gain control of the class, you can deal with discipline at the end and it will not eat into your instruction time. Regarding the spitballs - make an announcement that you will get to them when you get the chance, and the discipline will be severe. Do not let the class think that you cannot see them. Make the class think that you are just choosing to deal with it at a later time because you value instructional time. These are still kids, and you can definately play with their minds.

Engaging does not always mean working in groups or together....

dave b