Help

Discussion in 'Elementary Education Archives' started by mimi96, Jun 7, 2006.

1. mimi96

mimi96 New Member

Jun 7, 2006

I am still pursuing my bachelors in school and I am not feeling very confident about being a teacher. i have one more year of school, most of which is internship and I feel clueless. I am supposed to create a unit plan for one of my classes this semester and I am not not sure where to start. The unit plan has to be an interdisciplinary unit plan. I am having trouble trying to incorporate different subjects to one particular topic. I feel like I am going to fail as a teacher. I'm great with kids but that is not enough. :(

3. Lesley

Lesley Habitué

Jun 7, 2006

What is your topic? And welcome to A to Z!

4. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Jun 7, 2006

Don't panic-- that's why they make you take courses before they'll let you teach!

Tell us a little more: the topic you have been assigned or are leaning towards, maybe the grade, etc, and we'll point you in a direction.

5. mimi96

mimi96 New Member

Jun 12, 2006

I have to make a unit plan. basically i have to think of a topic and intertwine it with several subjects and then i have to create an introductory lesson plan. i'm a visual learner so it would help it I can see an example of a written lesson plan to go by so that i can see the format. is there any site i can go to to get an actual lesson plan so that i have something to follow. Thanks. =)

6. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Jun 12, 2006

Well, I'm HS math, so I'm pretty sure that if that were your interest, you would have said so already.

Go up to the top of the screen, to where it says "lessons" hit the link and shop around-- maybe something there will help?

As far as interdisciplinary goes, that's a huge spectrum. For example, you could take some scientific event: say the race to the moon in the '60s and talk about what was involved in terms of very elementary science. You could give the political background-- get in the history of the cold war. Your kids could read a biography of some of the people involved... and so on.

Or, for younger kids, you could talk, say, about whales. Do the whole biological thing-- mammals, types of whales, etc. Get into literalture a bit-- talk about Moby ****, maybe have a play (My son's 2nd grade class is doing "A Whale of a Tale"-- I'm guessing it's teacher written-- on Friday) Have them do a diorama on whales-- there's art, and so on.

Does that help at all??

PS: sorry about the automatic edit, but you know what I meant!

7. audrey1722

audrey1722 Rookie

Jun 12, 2006

I think if you choose a broad topic it would be easier to give you help integrating it into all of the subjects. With creativity, it can be done with almost any topic. I am also a student in my junior year, and I have to do similar projects. Narrow it down a little and I can give you some more specific ideas. If I don't have any ideas, I am surrounded by many students who have done similar unit plans, and professors who are very helpful.

8. audrey1722

audrey1722 Rookie

Jun 12, 2006

If you choose to go with the whales, you can integrate math using a probability lesson; geo. - following the whales' migration up the coast; social studies/history - the ways in which people used whales (why they are endangered)...their blubber was used in make-up and MANY other things; and she already gave some great ideas for integrating literature....does this help? If you choose a dif topic I can try to give you some ideas for that as well...