Help!!!!!!

Discussion in 'General Education' started by middles, Feb 16, 2016.

1. middles

middles Rookie

Feb 16, 2016

I have an interview coming up soon that will be a group interview.
    (Teachers that I could be potentially on a team with)
    This school is known to hire family and friends. (I am neither)
    How do I shine in that kind of situation?
    Any advice/tip
    Please!!!

3. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Feb 17, 2016

Know your stuff.
    Don't give canned answers full of jargon.
    Be prepared to give specific examples in your answers.
    Smile and make eye contact.
    Be the best version of yourself.

4. Mr.history

Mr.history Cohort

Feb 20, 2016

I have been on a panel interview as one of the interviewers. I saw about 10 candidates through the course of the day. There were a few things that made candidates either shine or made them fail before they even arrived:

1. Be on time. We had 3 show up late that day and it set a bad tone for their interview.
    2. Dress professionally. Don't chew gum or come to the interview with food.
    3. Be confidant. It was hard to judge candidates when they seemed so nervous they couldn't speak without trembling. The candidate we picked seemed excited to tell us about their teaching knowledge. They smiled and gave personal answers to questions.
    4. Research the school. We had candidates mention our school improvement plan, our mission statement, ect in their interviews and it showed that they knew what kind of environment they were entering and showed us that they did their homework.
    5. Make sure you got good references. We had candidates who we called for interviews and then when we checked their references we turned them down.
    6. Be ready to tell them what other duties, sports, clubs, or activities you could help with. We had candidates who would answer "I don't know" to "I'm too busy". At least at my school you will have to participate in other areas occasionally. (I teach high school, this may be different in lower grades)
    7. Make sure you answer the question. We had candidates try to dodge questions by changing topics.

5. Rockguykev

Rockguykev Connoisseur

Feb 21, 2016

Also, turn off your phone.

6. John Lee

John Lee Groupie

Feb 21, 2016

I went on the same kind of interview... didn't get the job. :p

They did hire an insider as opposed to me (outsider). A couple years later, that person left the job after one year, the P went to another school too, and both grade-level teachers are also gone! So in retrospect, if I could go back, I think I'd highlight my own willingness and desire to be a pillar of the school--maybe illustrate how I'd take on adjunct duties (e.g. GATE, student council, lunch time activities) I think that might show/highlight your willingness.

I also wasn't specific with what I'd do. Having never taught really hurts a candidate, not being able to be specific. As someone with some experience now though, I can definitely see maybe why someone wouldn't have hired someone like me. So (if you're new), I'd address this fact (that you don't know things, that you can't "be specific" as a new teachers). I'd tell about how much you know that you don't know... mentioning all the buzzwords (differentiation, classroom management) that will make them think that at least you're at least knowledgeable of teaching practice... and then I'd try to show them how you're preparing to get there. Tell them about your relationships with other teachers (for me, I was very well respected as a sub). I have contacts at various schools, all of which who are ready and willing to support me with advice, help, etc. This shows that you have a support system, and shows that you know how hard a job this is, AND that you have a support system that will help you, AND that you are willing to ask for help.

One other thing it does (and this is something I'd highlight for sure) is that it shows that you are someone who can work well with other (teachers). Honestly, being able to work with teachers is a BIG deal. Right now, I consider myself an average teacher at best. I really do fee like I'm struggling, muddling through as best I can. Regularly, I feel overwhelmed. But I'm well received and considered an asset by my P and the school community (parents, other staff)! I think it is because I work well with others. I honestly think that's the #1 reason why I'm still here.

Last edited: Feb 21, 2016