Help!

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by Miz_Jay, Jun 22, 2015.

1. Miz_Jay

Miz_Jay Companion

Jun 22, 2015

I was offered a position by the school principal, but nothing is official until it goes through HR, and now my mind is in overload.

The biggest issue is financial. Plain and simple, I don't have the money to move 130 miles from home. I don't have a car and I have less than good credit, so a loan is out of the question, and getting an apartment is going to be a challenge at best.

But I want this position because I've been looking for a long time. Any advice how to make this work? I'm not currently working, but I have savings, though they're not a lot and were mostly intended to get me through the summer until I started subbing again or until I got my own classroom.

3. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

Jun 22, 2015

You could check with the district and see if they offer bridge loans to new teachers.

Can you get a loan from a family member?

Again, check with the school or district and see if they know about someone who may want a roommate until you have time to get some money together to get a place of your own.

Please be very careful if you choose to use Craigs List to look for a place.

Good luck with the new job!

4. vickilyn

vickilyn Multitudinous

Jun 22, 2015

Get a roommate, simply rent a room with kitchen privileges, live close to the school, using mass transit or walking, save money to buy a cheap car. You will feel overwhelmed for the first few months, but then it gets much better. Working and paying your bills on time will start to repair your credit score. Stay away from credit cards - too much temptation to spend more than is wise. With a debit card you can't spend more than you have. Second hand furniture, household goods, etc., until the time when you actually have some money to spend on their replacements.

I second the advice from Swansong.

Best of luck.

5. luv2teach444

luv2teach444 Companion

Jun 22, 2015

Is there a college nearby? You could live with a college student. Even contact a church & see if they happen to have members who have an apt for rent. But unless you are in walking distance of the school I'm thinking you are stuck. BUT there are places you can get a car without good credit, but it'll be high interest rate - 20% or more - but if that's the only way to be able to work then you have to. How were you subbing without a car?

6. Miz_Jay

Miz_Jay Companion

Jun 23, 2015

I contacted HR and they don't offer any help with relocation, financially or roommate listings.

I've talked to all of my family and none of them can help me, so I'm kind of stuck there.

I'm looking at roommates, but I'm so far not having much luck. I know it's only been a day, but so far, no bites or things that'll work. Most of the roommate listings are for towns near the one the school is in and therefore require a car to get to work.

I don't actually have any credit cards, I never have, so staying away from them won't be a problem at all!

I've been subbing because I live with my sister to cut down expenses and she works 3rd shift so we shared a car. And when that couldn't happen since I was in LT positions that were perfectly on the bus line, I could take the bus. It actually worked out really well.

At the moment, it's looking like I might have to turn the position down simply because relocating to this particular area might prove to be impossible.

7. LouiseB

LouiseB Cohort

Jun 23, 2015

You should take the job. You can figure out something along the way. Keep digging to figure out something! Experience is so important.

8. eternalsaudade

eternalsaudade Companion

Jun 23, 2015

I would give it more than a day to figure things out. If it's a good opportunity, you can make it work. You will probably need to take some chances, but it can be done. For housing, I would just use Craigslist. If you are careful and savvy, you can probably find something without much trouble. As for transportation, have you actually applied for a loan or are you just assuming you can't get one? I would look into it, I have even seen stuff like car loans for first time buyers. If you have someone that can cosign (that doesn't meant they have to pay anything, just have to be willing to put their name on it), that could also make a huge difference. I would actually also recommend getting a credit card to build up your credit. Is biking an option? If so, it may be a good way to get started while you're saving up for a car.

9. BioAngel

BioAngel Science Teacher - Grades 3-6

Jun 24, 2015

Look at craigslist to find a room to rent for the time being. Just be careful - there are crazies online. My husband used that to find a few rooms to live in before we were married and it worked out fine for him :)

10. Miz_Jay

Miz_Jay Companion

Jun 24, 2015

I haven't made a certain decision yet. I'm still looking into housing options. A vehicle isn't going to happen right now unless I buy it out right which then doesn't leave me enough money to rent an apartment or a room or pay rent until September. But like I said, I'm still checking into options. I just don't want to commit myself now and end up screwed if things don't just work out.

Because here, I know I have options. It's still earlyish in the summer and I still have active applications in closer districts. And I have a LT for the first semester if I want it, plus the option of being a para at the school I LT'd at last year. Plus family and friend support which we all know is extremely important.

I'm not saying no to it yet, but I'm also not saying yes. I've given myself until Thursday, Friday at the latest to make a final decision.

11. LouiseB

LouiseB Cohort

Jun 24, 2015

I live in a different part of the country and around here most opportunities for teaching jobs are gone. There might be a couple here and there but that's it. Why do a long term or sub if you could have a full time job? If you weren't willing to locate, why did you apply and interview?

12. bella84

bella84 Aficionado

Jun 24, 2015

Can I ask what part of IL you would be moving to and from?

13. Miz_Jay

Miz_Jay Companion

Jun 24, 2015

I'd be moving from east central illinois to the Bradley University area.

LouiseB I honestly applied and interviewed because it was back in the early summer and I thought is have plenty of time to work a second job and save money. I took the interview because I didn't think it would lead to a position. I've applied a lot and interviewed a fair number of places, but I haven't landed anything.

14. bella84

bella84 Aficionado

Jun 24, 2015

Okay, so are you going to be in Peoria, given that that is where Bradley is located? If so, I would think you have two options to start with:

1. Buy a car, stay in Champaign-Urbana, and commute until you save up enough to rent an apartment closer to work. It's a long commute, but it would be doable for a short time, if that is what it took. Even if you're a little outside of Peoria, this option would probably work. You'd be driving 74 almost the whole way, so you won't be sitting in bad traffic or anything that larger metro areas see.

2. Use your savings to rent an apt and use the public transportation in Peoria to get to/from work until you save up enough to buy a car. Being that Bradley is in Peoria, you should be able to find someone looking for a roommate or someone looking to sublet a room near campus.

If you are unwilling/unable to spend your savings on either a car or an apt, then it sounds like you might be out of luck. Honestly, I would think it's best to find a way to make this work. It's hard to get into teaching, and you've been given an opportunity. Whether you choose to go through with it or not, I would think that you could find a part-time or summer job, either in C-U or Peoria, to help you increase your savings and make it through this rough patch.

15. LouiseB

LouiseB Cohort

Jun 24, 2015

I agree with Bella. She posted some very good information as she is familiar with the area. If you truly want to teach, take this opportunity and make the most of it. Having experience in teaching is very important. Taking one year to get experience even if it is out of your comfort zone is very important. Try to make this work and do what you have to do. This is the time for you to be independent.

16. vickilyn

vickilyn Multitudinous

Jun 24, 2015

This is, however, a lesson to everyone who takes that interview and extends the job search outside of what is either feasible or our comfort zone. I believe that Murphy's Law must be in this somewhere.

MizJay, if you are writing this off as impossible, please let the school know in a reasonable amount of time. I can guarantee that there is a second level choice who would be thrilled to be awarded the job, and I'm not being unkind, simply realistic.

17. ChildWhisperer

ChildWhisperer Groupie

Jun 25, 2015

I know a house for rent in the Peoria area! What is your budget? In my opinion, the rent they're asking for is pretty cheap (about 850/mo for a house. It is recently vacant), but yes, you would need a car! There is no public transportation that comes over here (no sidewalks either)
    It is close to Bradley; about a mile from War Memorial Dr.

Last edited: Jun 25, 2015
  18. msrosie

msrosie Rookie

Jun 25, 2015

Pray on it. If it's right and you're meant to take it, you'll know. Making a decision that you'll regret isn't the best idea. Even for experience.