Help!

Discussion in 'Elementary Education Archives' started by 5leafclover, Aug 10, 2002.

1. 5leafclover

5leafclover Companion

Aug 10, 2002

School starts on Monday! I think I am pretty well planned for Monday and I have most of my plans made out for the rest of the week but I am still feeling very under-prepared. This will be the first time I've taught 2nd grade.(I used to teach Kindergarten)

My school has given us a really horrible schedule this year.

8:00 to 8:15 Science
    8:15 to 9:00 Specials(art, PE, Music)
    9:00 to 9:50 Math
    9:50 to 10:20 Social Studies(and gifted pull-out)
    10:20 to 11:05 Math continued
    11:05 to 11:20 Science continues
    11:20 to 11:50 Lunch
    11:50 to 2:30 Reading/spelling/grammar/phonics

Our day is split up so much because of the way that our gifted/special ed/early intervention kids are taken out of our rooms. It's a huge pain.

Anyway, I was just hoping that someone would have some ideas for some good (non-worksheet) activites to do with 2nd graders for the first week of school. I know it's better to be over-planned than under-planned and right now I feel like I'm under-planned.

Any ideas?

Nick

3. Guest

Guest Guest

Aug 10, 2002

That's some schedule, Nick. Make sure and play some games.
    Silent catch with an inflated beach ball is great. You can also ask a spelling word, or math question to be answered by the catcher. Play spelling bingo - give them grids and they put easy sight words from your list one per box. Can make it 3 x 3 or 4x4, etc. Or can make it bigger and they can enter some words twice. They get to choose where to put each word. Play sorting games -I'm looking for anyone wearing a blue shirt - then sort by hair color or eye color, etc. Then go to, anyone wearing a blue or red shirt. When in doubt, put a very short poem on the board for handwriting practice. After they copy it, they illustrate it. Play addition games with dice. Everyone loves dice. Sing Old McDonald but have your name for the farmer's name, has a class, and in his class there is a "____" name students in the class.
    Make full-size self portraits by students outlining each other. Practice writing the date in correct form. Have students dictate their predictions about 2nd grade and you write them down and make into a book. Enjoy!

Debbie