Help!

Discussion in 'New Teachers Archives' started by Guest, Aug 6, 2002.

1. Guest

Guest Guest

Aug 6, 2002

Hi. I need help! I've just graduated college and have been searching for a job. Unfortunately, nothing yet. But I have put my name in to sub and have already been asked to be in a classroom next week - the first day of school! (The teacher will be out for surjury and I will be there for at least 4 weeks, maybe longer). It's third grade. I'm very excited but also a little horrified. Any suggestions on discipline, rules, first day activities, etc.? Thanks

3. pmts02

pmts02 Guest

Aug 7, 2002

Hopefully the teacher prepared during the summer and has left some kind of rules, discipline procedures and first Day Activities. If she didn't I'd guess you'll have to go with what you know. The basic rules. No running in the room, Keep your hands to yourself, Always raise your hand, Treat others the way you'd want to be treated, No Spitting or Gum Chewing, etc. As far as dicipline take time away from recess or give a writing assignment. Don't back down once you given a punishment. Always follow through with it. If you don't, they catch on quickly and then you've lost control. I am not a third grade teacher so I don't have any suggestions on first day activites.There are though a lot of good lesson plan sites ecspecially this one that could give you some great ideas. Check also www.theteacherscorner.net Well you could always have them write what they did over the summer, what they expect the 3rd grade to be like etc. Good Luck!!!

4. musicbug

musicbug Rookie

Aug 7, 2002

Check with the principal. Sometimes the classroom teacher will want to contact you. I was asked to provide my phone number when I took a first month of school sub job. The classroom teacher called (long distance mind you) everyday to be sure the everything was okay. She left some plans but I had to add quite a bit. The funny part was I got an unfilled paraprofessional job as school librarian which I kept for 2 years before getting a full teaching position else where.

5. Guest

Guest Guest

Sep 4, 2002

This is my 3rd year teaching, and I spent the first half of my first year subbing. You most likely will have the teacher do the planning for you. Prior to your subbing, go into the classroom and perhaps observe this teacher with procedures, etc. This will give you a better understanding how to "run" the room. You should also get a list of the school's & class rules. Go to the school and get acquainted with your administration, etc. Go to a staff mtg. and get to know the staff. You are there for only a short time, so remember to accomidate YOURSELF to THE SCHOOL!
    Good luck! You'll do fine!